Menu

Has your child ever run a fever for six days?

My DD is five. I posted on Tuesday about her running a 104 fever....she started on Monday. We went to the doc on Tuesday, got her checked out. Nothing unusual, ped said it was just a virus, lots of viruses are going around right now, some with high fevers. She said if she was still running a fever on Thursday to give her a call. Well, Thursday rolls around and she seems to be getting better. Her fever is running about 100.6, so I figure it is on its way out. I did not check her temp on Friday all day long because I figured it was probably gone (DD was acting fine, but she had also been acting fine most of the week too). Friday night (last night) she kept asking to sit with me a lot, which she never does. She felt a tad warm so I took her temp. It was 103.3! I used a different thermometer and it was still 103.3.

I called her ped after hours. The nurse practicioner on call was very nice, talked to me a while, and told me that as long as DD was not showing any other symptoms then she was probably okay.....it was just taking a while to run its course. If she started coughing a lot or complaining of her ears and stuff like that, then we would need to take her to a clinic. She said that if she's still running it on Monday, we should bring her in.

Today she's still running anywhere from 101 - 102.5. UGH!!! She has no other syptoms except a cold. She's very stuffed up. Not to mention, DD#2 is sick, and so am I.

Has your kiddos ever run fever this long and it just be a virus? I'm also worried about giving her meds for this many days. I only give it about twice a day and I'm alternating Tylenol and Motrin when I do give her meds. What do you guys think?

This happened to us a couple weeks ago with the flu. Each of us got better for a day (fever hovered around 100, but we were out of bed and walking around a bit), and then the next day, we were VERY sick again - 102 - 103 fevers. Each of my kids had a secondary infection - bronchitis, ear infections (and we've NEVER had an ear infection!), and sinus infections. The one with asthma was by far the worst. ALL of us were on antibiotics. (And, we don't do antibiotics lightly! This was dd's first round. Ds 13's second round ever. Ds 12's third round ever.)

Keep an eye on them. If they are having trouble breathing or are tugging at their ears, they probably have secondary infections and may need an antibiotic. Don't hesitate to take them in to a clinic or even the ER if necessary.

I've read that this is common in this flu - kids are getting better for a day and then worse again. And, yes, it is common to run a fever for this long with the flu. :grouphug::grouphug: I know how stressful it is!!!

Thanks for the reassurance that it is common. And yes, I am VERY stressed out. Taking care of two sick kids along with being sick myself is getting really old, really quick. And as you know, I'm a worrier, and it's really taking a toll on me. DH is being *ahem* less than helpful. :glare: The man NEVER gets sick and doesn't really have a lot of sympathy when we get sick. And it really hurts my feelings because he is being selfish. :sad: So that's adding to my stress.

I'm about to tell this little virus that it is banned from this household every again. :D

I'm not even sure it's the flu......I don't know what it is. :confused:

We've not had H1N1 (yet) but the only time we've had a fever for over 3 days, dd was dx with Kawasaki's. Her other symptoms were very subtle, to me, anyway. Her pediatrician caught them quickly.

Here are some symptoms to look for. My dd had a slight case of red eyes and strawberry tongue, but no rash.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kawasaki-disease/DS00576/DSECTION=symptoms

HTH!

Thanks for the reassurance that it is common. And yes, I am VERY stressed out. Taking care of two sick kids along with being sick myself is getting really old, really quick. And as you know, I'm a worrier, and it's really taking a toll on me. DH is being *ahem* less than helpful. The man NEVER gets sick and doesn't really have a lot of sympathy when we get sick. And it really hurts my feelings because he is being selfish. So that's adding to my stress.

I'm about to tell this little virus that it is banned from this household every again.

I'm not even sure it's the flu......I don't know what it is.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I wish you were my next door neighbor - really!!! I'd bring over dinner.

You know I'm a worrier too. I was in your place just last week. It was SOOOO stressful. I think the longest one of my kids went with a fever last week was 7 or 8 days. After we got the antibiotics, the fever broke within 12 hours or so for each of them. My poor ds9. He was SO sick for 6 days. The seventh day he felt better and the fever was around 100. He finally ate again. Then, the eighth day, BAM, he was at 103 and sleeping all day again. He sobbed and begged me to just make him feel better. That was the day his allergist discovered bronchitis. He's asthma boy, so he's still on asthma meds. But, he's better!!!

It sure sounds like the flu. Do you want me to come and talk with your dh? :glare::001_smile:

Several years ago three of my kids had the flu and had a fever for nine days straight. It took forever for them to get back to normal. I would just watch for any other symptoms and if they show up I would take her in.

I'm sorry you are stressed. It's not fair that you're sick AND having to take care of sick ones. I'm with Jennifer - If I lived close by I would come and help. Maybe you should pm me and Jennifer your dh's cell number. :001_smile:

Ya'll are too nice. :D I may just have to take you up on giving you DH's number LOL :lol:

I'm definitely taking DD back to the doc on Monday if she's running fever. And I may even seriously consider a clinic tomorrow....however, I don't think they will do as thorough of a job as her regular doctor. I'm keeping a close watch for anything out of the ordinary, but it seems to be just a fever and a cold right now.

We caught the H1N1 virus. My dd4 had a low fever for 1 day, then spiked to 104 for 2 days, and came back down to about 102. The 102 fever she had only happens after 4 in the afternoon until maybe the middle of night. Then her temperature was normal during the day until the late afternoon when it spiked again. This happened for about 4 days. We finally got some Tamiflu from the doctor. Her temperature came down after 1 day of Tamiflu.

Yes, my 2 yr old ran a high fever (103-104.8)for 4-5 days, and then muddled around w/ lower (101-102)temps for 2-3 days. It was just a fever, no other symptoms- but obviously w/ temps that high, he acted very sick. He didn't eat, didn't drink, just laid there breathing hard. Scary, no matter what age.

We went in to the dr on day 3, and they did urine tests, strep, even chest x-ray to rule out silent pneumonia. Nothing. It was likely a virus that needed to run its course. Not what I wanted to hear because that is so vague sounding, but apparently that's what it was.

Hang in there.

When you are getting ready to crack with these virus' they are almost over. Keep her near so you can watch for any new symptoms and keep giving her fluids. You'll all be better soon!!! So sorry. You'll never know for sure but it sure sounds like the flu and it's the ick that's going around.

My daughter was 3 the first time this happened.

She had never actually been sick before this. Not even the sniffles.

105 for a bit over a week. Alternated tylenol /Motrin and lots of drinking.

then when she was 4, it happened again. the same exact way.

Then when she was 5, same way.

THese were always in the summer of July. No vomiting or change in stools, no real loss of appetite but tired so did not want to eat much because of that.

Then never again.

Ds had a fever for six days total w/ the flu, back in September.

That said, I do have a friend whose 3 yo ran a high fever for days, with no other symptoms. She knew something wasn't right, though, and kept pushing. He was finally diagnosed with a severe kidney infection that had been essentially asymptomatic. If your gut says something more is going on, listen to it!

We have had h1n1 the last couple of weeks. My three boys had high fever for 2-3 days, then gone for 2 then two of them got it back for another day.

I got it last Mon and last night was my first fever free one. I have NEVER, ever had the flu and never run a fever for more than a day or two as far back as I can remember.

Today I am just sooo weak and lethargic!! This is a very bad flu! I am sooo looking forward to it being gone!!!

We had the flu-like thing recently, and the fever part lasted 7 or 8 days for the kids. Our doctor usually says to give a call if a fever lasts 5 days or so, just in case, but some viruses really do last that long.

What you need to look out for is having the fever go away and then come back. (although this flu does vary from day to day). It can indicate a secondary infection. I know a few people (including my husband) who have picked up a post-flu bronchitis that is pretty unpleasant. Our house has been full of sick people for almost a month, as various things run through.

Guest janainaz

When my son was 3 he ran a fever for 5 straight days. I took him to the doctor on a Friday and she told me to just wait it out and bring him back in after the weekend if it continued. I had informed the doctor that my ds had been exposed to pneumoia and that I was concerned and wanted antibiotics and for her to check it out further (my kids are almost 10 and 5 and have had antibiotics only once each!). I was not a mom who typically ASKED for antibiotics. I went home angry with myself for not trusting my mom instincts with my child. By Sunday morning my son was doing weird things (like grabbing at non-existent objects in the air), totally lethargic and was still running a high fever despite Ibuprofren and Tylenol. So, we put him in the car and took him to the ER. The doctors took x-rays and told us it was good to have brought him in. He did not just have a virus, he had pneumonia.

I went back for a follow up at the doctor that next week and the doctor's attitude was horrible. My instincts had been right and she was very arrogant.

When your child is sick, YOU are the best judge. If you feel like 5, 6, 7 days is too long to run a fever you have to trust your instincts. If you feel like your child is doing ok based on their behavior, you are probably right to wait it out. Just don't let a doctor decide for you.