Menu

Did your children find the audio for SOTW boring?

lovinmomma

No, all three of us enjoy listening to and discussing the SOTW cds. We've done them all, and are on our 2nd go round of Middle Ages.

I listened to a MOH sample, and the biggest difference I noticed was that music was playing in the background. It's hard to tell about the text itself in such a small sample; that would be the deciding factor for me.

Your kids look very young, and I think that makes a difference as well. I'd imagine that the music and such might help to hold their attention.

and dc listen to them all the time.

husband made a set of kid cds so they can use them any time.

BUT, they have listened to them so much that now it's weird to go back over that stuff.

We do not own the ... oh shoot, I can't remember his name.. ( it's late)

fiddle, anyway,,, ours are the chick narrator, not the guy . We like them alot. having a set of kid ones has been a good thing for us. it's nice to have an extra set for the car too.

~c.

My boys didn't like the guy's voice, and frankly, I didn't either. :glare:

:iagree:

I can't stand his voice or manner/tone in which he reads it. It's so monotone. We have the CDs for both volume 1 and 2. We listened to part of volume 1 and haven't even opened the box for volume 2. My kids just read the book themselves.

wow...it appears, that either you like SOTW audios or you don't. We are going to use them for the first time here, really soon...I am hoping upon hoping that my kids like them...I am about to give up on history all together...so I am hoping this is going to save it for us.

I can't stand his voice or manner/tone in which he reads it. It's so monotone. We have the CDs for both volume 1 and 2. We listened to part of volume 1 and haven't even opened the box for volume 2. My kids just read the book themselves.

Agree! I bought them because they seem so well-liked but my girls hated them. I didn't like them either. We gave them up.

wow...it appears, that either you like SOTW audios or you don't. We are going to use them for the first time here, really soon...I am hoping upon hoping that my kids like them...I am about to give up on history all together...so I am hoping this is going to save it for us.

What works for my ds does not mean it will work for all.....we all have different likes/dislikes! I hope SOTW does work for you!! :grouphug:

My boys didn't like the guy's voice, and frankly, I didn't either. :glare:

After trying to use it for SOTW 3, my kids asked that we not use them. When I asked what they didn't like they said "That guy has a creepy voice" I wasn't all that fond of it either.

I knew it wasn't an aversion to audio books because they listen to Hank the Cowdog every night on their ipods, and we've also use The Magician's Nephew and Bunnicula audio books for family read aloud time.

Not at all. My kids love them, and listen to them on their free time just for fun.

Same thing here..even at bedtime.

I must add though, that I like Barbara Jonson..the female narrator much better..no idea why they ever got rerecorded. The one we have with her is much easier on my ears.

Edited by Jennifer in NH

I was comparing the audio from MOH and SOTW, and SOTW's audio seems much more dry. Granted, that is not a determining factor, but just wondering. My children seemed super engaged with MOH's audio. My husband said he thought SOTW's audio seemed "boring". Any thoughts? Any nice thoughts?

Nope! My kids LOOOOOVVVEEE the SOTW audios. (And mine are the original versions -- not the Jim Weiss ones which I am sure are even better.) DS10 and DD7 both ask to listen more than once. DD7 would listen for hours. DS10 listens to every chapter twice instead of once. . .

Of course, my dc are not very jaded, having limited media exposure, so sometimes they appreciate stories, games, etc that are less flashy than most. But, for my dc, the SOTW audio is a huge hit.

We have Jim Weiss and he is pretty dry.

Anyone have a link to hear the lady reading it? I've been meaning to take a listen, because the content is good, we just can't stand his voice!

They aren't producing the CD's with the female narrator anymore, if I am remembering correctly. I am sure you could find used copies on Ebay or the For Sale/Swap Board here possibly.

We borrowed the ancients audio disk from our library and it has the woman narrator. My kids at first thought it was boring (the intro section) but adore it since the actual 'stories' have started. We are listening to it all the way through in the car. I have not heard the Jim Weiss version but would be interested to hear the difference.

Maybe check your library and see if they have the opposite narrator to the one you find annoying and see if that makes the difference.

We haven't heard the MOH, but we've heard the SOTW Cds, and my kids love them.. My daughter hears it so much that there are stories she can tell by heart - like the Anansi's stories.. In fact We just saw him (Jim Weiss) do a performance today here in South Florida today... She loved it so much...

Even my husband likes it (and that's to say a lot - he's not into the whole "books on audio" )... Plus the amount of things we've learned.. we moved on the CDs chronology - we stopped at the end of Vol. 3, after I heard the Intro for Volume 4, and the recommendation that it be for slightly older kids than her current age...

Since she's in 1st grade we're doing the chapters from the book in our History session... but the CDs we listen to them in the car, in order from Vol 1 to Vol 3 and then we start again (I bought the other volumes after spending a Car Trip from FL to SC and back again (plus the week we stayed there) listening to the CD we listen to it many, many, many, many (did I say many) times during that trip- we all wanted to know what came next... so we just got the other volumes and continue to listen....

We do have other CD by him as well....

Kate

This thread is perfect timing and gives me serious food for thought.

I was all set to order the SOTW CDs but my DS is very audio sensitive and doesn't like "Dry" stories.

Since I still think it's a great idea, I'm still interested in hearing more feedback on the differences in the recordings. If I found the right one, I'm almost certain he would love listening to the stories.