Menu

Help!! what to do with Canadian bacon?!

OK, it's a 16-inch long tube (?) of "Canadian Bakin Ham." It's been defrosted and must be cooked today. I am not a big meat-eater and am floundering as to what to do with it. Can I refreeze some of it after cooking it up? What sorts of recipes would it be good for? The only Canadian bacon I know is the kind that goes on pizza--and this ain't that!

Thank you so much for your help!

I don't know exactly what you have, but you should be able to chop it up and use it in any casserole (quiche?) that calls for ham.

I like Canadian bacon just plain as a snack or a lunch meat.

If I were you, I would probably slice that into meal-sized portions and freeze the portions individually. Then whenever you need a quick lunch, a high-protein snack, or a handful of meat for a casserole, just grab one!

We put it on pizza, of course, but also cut it up and have it with scrambled eggs.

Whenever I have too much of one food item, I do a search on Recipezaar for recipe ideas. Last year, I had a plethora of pumpkins, so I searched and found pumpkin cookies, pumpkin bars, and two pumpkin soups (one of which my dd2 prefers to Pizza Hut Pizza it's so good!!!)

Just be sure that recipes are arranged in order of "rating" so that you get the best recipes at the top!

http://www.recipezaar.com/

Be sure to read the reviews, too, for recipe variations and ideas for how others liked/disliked the recipes.

--Laura in Iowa

Eggs Benedict?

Doesn't sound like that's what you've got, there.

Maybe you could cut it up, freeze some--and maybe make that breakfast casserole where you...

Line a 9x13 baking pan with pieces of bread. Cut up enough of that meat in small dice to cover the bread (this is in place of 1 lb sausage). Beat 6 eggs with a tsp dry mustard and pour over. Cover top with 8 oz cheddar, grated. Refrig overnight.

In the am, put in 350 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes--cover if cheese gets too brown. I usually pour off some of the grease halfway thru--but you may not have too much if you use this ham-stuff you've got instead of sausage.

Totally off-topic, but you know what surprised the heck out of me when I moved here? There is no Canadian bacon in Canada. It's just called back bacon. When I asked for Canadian bacon, I got regular bacon bacon (but from Canadian pigs).