Menu

Prentice Hall PHysical Science questions...

Capt_Uhura

For the science-minded folk at the hive, what do you think of the Prentice Hall Physical Science text? A friend just got one and thought it looked pretty good. I did a search at the board and found the website http://www.awakeningwonder.com which uses the Prentice Hall textbook. I'm wondering if the book is dry school textbook science or if it's a good resource for science-focused families?

Thanks!

Capt_Uhura

Haven't seen Physical Science yet, but we are using PH Science Explorer Life Science this year and it is great - not dry or boring at all, plenty of activities that support inquiry and good solid questions & labs. Very colorful pages w/great photos and internet links to learn more about the subject (interactive cell models, for example).

I purchased the student book, teachers cd, student lab book and the student Guided Reading and Study Workbook. The CD contains the teacher text, answers to all questions in text, answers to labs, guided reading & study workbook, further instructions on labs and project guides for the chapter projects.

I purchased my lab supplies from Home Science Tools - they had great service and had everything I needed.

Is there more than one Physical Science by Prentice Hall?

I'm getting ready to buy this:

http://www.kolbebookstore.peachhost.com/ct_PRt4828.htm

I'm not sure if it's a totally different text, or simply a different edition...

I believe that's the high school level physical science. Awakening Wonder uses the middle school one, Science Explorer Physical Science. It doesn't require algebra.

Thanks Techwife! Where did you buy all the materials you mentioned?

Capt_Uhura

I purchased all but experiment equipment directly from Prentice Hall. You have to set up a homeschool account, but it is very easy to do, requiring nothing but your signature. Once the account is set up (They mailed the form to me, I signed it, scanned it and emailed it back) you just call and place the order. You will have a choice to buy either one volume w/the entire text in it (most cost effective) or several smaller volumes that cover a smaller chunk of material.

This link will take you to the page for the Physical Science book (the one volume text). It has a list of everything that's available.

After I rec'd the lab book, I just made a supply list up and started looking around. There are many things that might have around your house and Home Science Tools has great service and very reasonable prices for other. Some commonly needed items (such as graduated cylinders, beakers, test tubes) they offer in a sort of "starter set." Then you can add on the other items with whatever quantity you want to use. Because we already had a microscope, I purchased the slides for the labs and they sell them individually so I didn't have to get a whole set & end up with slides we didn't need.

Is there more than one Physical Science by Prentice Hall?

I'm getting ready to buy this:

http://www.kolbebookstore.peachhost.com/ct_PRt4828.htm

I'm not sure if it's a totally different text, or simply a different edition...

I'm considering the Concepts in Action with Earth & Space Science for 8th grade. Its a slightly different version of this book. They are both 9th grade level books and do require algebra. Ds is doing pre-algebra and would be taking algebra consecutively.