Menu

Can anyone explain why I smell cigarette smoke in my home?

I getting smoke smell in my nose sometimes. It can be real annoying. From what I've read it can be caused by allergies or damage to the nasal passages. Seems to happen to me after I've had a cold, a day or two after a bad allergy attack or sometimes it's just random and will last for several days.

Smelling cigarette smoke is common when there is an aberration in the temporal lobe. This often happens seasonally, as people respond seasonally to many things.

I seriously doubt this is what is happening to you, but this is my area of interest, so it's the first thing I thought of.

I happen to smell cat pee prior to my seizures. Of all the things to smell... gack.

a

I getting smoke smell in my nose sometimes. It can be real annoying. From what I've read it can be caused by allergies or damage to the nasal passages. Seems to happen to me after I've had a cold, a day or two after a bad allergy attack or sometimes it's just random and will last for several days.

Me too. I've always related it to allergies and such. I have a lot of bad allergies. But it has not happened to me in years though (though my allergies are still quite bad).

I guess the first thing to ask if if others in your home smell it as well?

In my web research I've found a few things:

(1) nasal passage inflammation (allergies, sinus, etc)- a neti pot will help and it does help me

(2) prelude to a migraine - this has also been true for me

(3) mental illness - I'm just not even going there!

If you don't get migraines, then I'd say it's the nasal passage issue.

I sure learned something today! I used to smell cigarette smoke periodically, too, and never knew why. Maybe it was the nasal passage thing (I, too, have allergies). As a strange aside, I will periodically smell 'electrical burn' smells when no one else can. I'll have to head off to research that one...

The last time I smelled cigarette smoke was about two weeks ago. I am sensitive to that smell, so I thought I was just being too picky, but when dh commented on it, too, I knew something was up... it was the *library book* I had brought home that day. Gah! It was horrid. Three days in a plastic bag with newspaper helped a bit, but not much. I had to return it unread, because every time I opened it, I was assaulted by the smell. It makes me sneeze and my nose run, not to mention I get a headache if I smell it for too long. I hated having to give it back, too, as it was a *brand new* book from a favorite author. :glare:

So... did you bring any library books home recently? :tongue_smilie: