Menu

B&N educator discount card question

Guest RecumbentHeart

When I applied for mine, the woman asked for my "homeschool ID card." I told her that homeschoolers are not required to have ID cards, and that all I had was my excusal letter from the superintendent, which I do not carry around with me. She said, "Well, we are supposed to have proof that you homeschool." I said to my kids, "Hey kids, where do you go to school?" and they said, "We don't. We're homeschooled." The woman laughed and gave me my card.

I think she would have given it to me just from me telling her that I don't carry my excusal letter around.

Tara

Do you have to be officially registered as a homeschool in order to qualify for the Barnes & Noble educator discount card?

It probably depends on your local B&N. I was able to get a card by taking in a teacher's manual for the preschool program I was using at the time (this was 7 years ago)--at the time I didn't have to register in my state until my boys were 7. Now I show my Notice of Intent.

Call you local B&N and see what they say :001_smile:.

You do have to provide some proof that you homeschool. In the past, I used the letter that the county sends out to acknowledge that we have informed them of our intent to homeschool. Recently, I used the card provided when I joined Home Educators Assoc. of Virginia to get my discount card. Then you fill out a form and just put "homeschool" for the name of the school. They seem to be okay with me just filling in the form as best as I can.

When I applied for mine, the woman asked for my "homeschool ID card." I told her that homeschoolers are not required to have ID cards, and that all I had was my excusal letter from the superintendent, which I do not carry around with me. She said, "Well, we are supposed to have proof that you homeschool." I said to my kids, "Hey kids, where do you go to school?" and they said, "We don't. We're homeschooled." The woman laughed and gave me my card.

I think she would have given it to me just from me telling her that I don't carry my excusal letter around.

Tara

Yep, I had this same issue with B&N. When I told them that our state doesn't require that we register (this was when we lived in another state) -- so there wasn't any kind of ID card -- they seemed a little baffled by that. Can't remember how I convinced them but I did get a card. I like your method, Tara! :lol:

ETA - We are a part of HSLDA now and I'm pretty sure the card they send members would work.

I used an HSLDA card.

I live in a state with no requirments for homeschoolers.

If they give you a hard time I would try another barnes & noble. I got my card at a store in NYC and they were really not pleasant about it. The card was only good for 3 months which I thought was odd.

The first time I used it in NJ they gave me a new card (plastic) that is good for 2 years.

I initially just said "I homeschool," and then when it was time to get the new card, suddenly that person wanted my DOI. Oookay. So I come back the next time with a copy of my DOI and THAT person said "Oh, the old card was proof enough for me!" Go figure. I think they don't have a standardized procedure, in part because of the variety in state laws, but this was even within the same store.

I took my DOI to Borders... they didn't even ask to see it.