Menu

Yikes!! I just found out what those Ashley Madison commercials are all about!

OK, I had to go and Google it, too. My goodness. What caught my eye...besides the couple in their black undies...was the little tag that said 'As seen on Oprah, Dr. Phil, Larry King Live...' Really, these shows are promoting this kind of wretched behavior? I never dreamed it could be a 'legitimate' business.

What caught my eye...besides the couple in their black undies...was the little tag that said 'As seen on Oprah, Dr. Phil, Larry King Live...' Really, these shows are promoting this kind of wretched behavior? .

My guess is, those shows were denigrating it. My guess is they wouldn't be above misrepresenting negative publicity.

Barb

I've been thinking about this a lot today...

In reality, how long could a company like this keep going? All it would take is for one disgruntled spouse to sue the company over "alienation of affection", or as an accomplice to it, (assuming that person lives in a state with such a law) and the company could be taken to the cleaners. And really, how hard would it be to prove that your cheating spouse used that website? The history files on your computer (or any other computer used) would prove the infidelity.

On the other hand, maybe those of you who claim you've never seen the commercial DO live in states with "alienation of affection" laws in place? Perhaps this company is purposefully not advertising in those states, knowing full well that they could be sued.

Just a few of my thoughts on the subject. Personally, I find the whole concept of that company to be reprehensible. ETA: I've never seen a commercial or heard of this company until this thread. I rather like it down here under my rock!

Only the following states still have alienation of affection laws - as of 01/2008: Hawaii, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, and Utah.

Since these laws were based on a woman being the "property" of her husband and therefore he had a "property right" he could enforce if someone "stole her heart" away...I think we can all be glad that those laws are mostly gone.

However, what about a conspiracy to commit assault (if the spouse contracts an STD and brings it home?) I believe there have been criminal cases prosecuted against parties for knowingly transmitting STDs to partners. Also, someone must be making money from all this - I am sure a good creative prosecutor could find a way to shut these people down!

I've been thinking about this a lot today...

In reality, how long could a company like this keep going? All it would take is for one disgruntled spouse to sue the company over "alienation of affection", or as an accomplice to it, (assuming that person lives in a state with such a law) and the company could be taken to the cleaners. And really, how hard would it be to prove that your cheating spouse used that website? The history files on your computer (or any other computer used) would prove the infidelity.

On the other hand, maybe those of you who claim you've never seen the commercial DO live in states with "alienation of affection" laws in place? Perhaps this company is purposefully not advertising in those states, knowing full well that they could be sued.

Possibly. I'm in Hawaii, where you can still sue for alienation of affection and I've never seen one of these ads. I've never even heard of them until I saw the thread here.

If you don't want to be married, don't be married. Unknowingly cheating on your trusting, monogamous partner is wrong, period. Encouraging other people to do so is wrong, imo.