Menu

Book a Week in 2009 *Week 45 Book 46*

Tomorrow is the start of Week 45 in the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks and starting book # 46. Guess what? The count down - We have 7 weeks left.

I'm posting this a bit early since I won't be online tomorrow. What happened to everyone last week? Come on - don't be shy. Even if you haven't made the goal, lets us know how many books you've read so far. We only have 7 weeks left gang - let's go out with a bang.

Well, it's a good thing I read extra earlier in the year, because I haven't been doing much in the last few weeks. I had to take the kids on holidays, so borrowed audiobooks. Hey! They count, don't they? I listened to one of Salman Rushdie's books, "Shalimar the Clown," amongst other things. It'd been on my list of things to do, to read something of his. Being November, most reading is being put aside in favour of frenzied working on Christmas presents or flaking here and whimpering over the heat. I have been reading through a pile of old Grass Roots magazines my aunt lent me.

Rosie

Last week, I finished Marco Polo: From Venice to Xanadu (after working on it for many weeks, lol). Definitely interesting. I also read Into Thin Air -- a fascinating account of tackling & surviving Mt. Everest under some unfortunate circumstances. I would definitely recommend it.

Currently, I'm reading Hogfather (for a little holiday frivolity) & finding it to be wickely funny.

Next up: The Shadow of the Wind.

I finished Dracula. I enjoyed most of it except for the Victorian male/female relationship part. Bleh, made me want to puke sometimes. Overall it was a great story. I think this finishes my Halloween theme (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Dead Fathers Club, Dracula). I haven't decided what's next for myself.

Reading aloud to the kids - The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians series).

I too am glad I read so much earlier in the year as the beginning of half of December is looking NUTS!

This last week's book was Sense and Sensibility -- I only have 2 others to read and I'll have read the entire set this year. I haven't started anything new, but picked up a mystery at the library yesterday based solely on it's title Murder with Puffins!! The author has an entire bird series.

I had fun sorting my reading list into categories for a recent blog post: http://jennwinsocal.blogspot.com/2009/11/52-books-in-52-weeks-update.html

Guest Virginia Dawn

A friend lent me The Charlemagne Pursuit. It's the same kind of book as the Da Vinci Code. You know, hidden secrets/mysteries about history blended with assassins and intrigue. Da Vinci Code was far more entertaining.