Menu

PS: 36 week school schedule or other?

I noticed the big sign out in front of one of the ps's I drive by said "6 weeks testing" all this week. And I began to wonder...do ps's (or any schools, really) technically do 36 weeks of school or 30? Or maybe less? I mean...if you take a week away from your curric once every 6 wks, then you're really only planning/using 30 weeks, right? Minus another couple of weeks for state testing? Am I missing something?

Because if that's right, I'm doing ok after all. :lol:

:) Here they count 180 days but the kids get so many days off, I can't imagine that count is right or that it fits 36 weeks. Maybe I'll sit down and count it sometime. LOL As far as testing, they count that as "doing school." Don't forget about all the time preparing for the tests too. One friend's son prepared for the big state test for 2 months. Huh. No new material, just review. Colossal waste of time in my book.

It's 180 student attendance days including test days. Depending on the school and age group that includes both state testing and semester or end of term exams. The 180 days also includes partial days as long as students were in school for at least five hours or if the teachers have a partial in-service day.

As a former teacher I can tell you that although they count 180 days, actual instruction is nowhere near that.

I taught high school, so it was a little different. But between the assemblies, the pep rallies, game days, testing, and a whole HOST of other things, actual instruction is about 3/4 of 180 at best.

I will also go so far as to say that 90 days of quality homeschooling beats 180 days of real school any day!

Dawn