Menu

Good resources for 'adopting' a deployed soldier?

I would like for the boys to 'adopt' a soldier that is deployed, and wondered if anyone has a resource they would suggest to use to find our soldier. I have looked online, but thought I would ask here also.

We have talked about it, and would love for the boys to write letters and send care packages.

Thanks!

My best suggestion is to ask around your circle of friends and family. Odds are that there is someone you know who then knows someone who is deployed. If you strike out there, you might see if there is a reserve center in your area or a military base where you could contact a chaplain and ask how you could support someone.

There are a lot of restrictions on items, personal needs and security concerns that have made the old practice of sending mail to "Any Soldier" one that is discouraged and sometimes not allowed.

There are lots of service organizations that put together care packages, the USO would be a good start.

Good for you guys! If you live near a Base, check at the Visitor's Center right outside the main gate...they should have a resource or be able to point you to one. If not there, check with the Base Chapel who would be able to get you in touch with the right people. I would check with your local VFW Post, as well.

Make sure you read up on what you can and can not send.

If you don't live near a base, here are some good resources:

http://www.military.com/benefits/resources/support-our-troops

http://www.soldiersangels.org/

http://www.opgratitude.com/

I would like for the boys to 'adopt' a soldier that is deployed, and wondered if anyone has a resource they would suggest to use to find our soldier. I have looked online, but thought I would ask here also.

We have talked about it, and would love for the boys to write letters and send care packages.

Thanks!

I have a friend who it matching families with deployed soldiers (in her son's unit, I believe). She can connect you with a soldier who probably isn't getting much mail from home. Please PM me with your contact info, and I will forward it to her, if that's okay!

Our family has used www.soldiersangels.org to "adopt" a solider. They ask that you send a weekly letter and one or two care package monthly (I can't remember which).

We have also used www.anysoldier.com This is more of a one-time letter or care package than an "adoption". You get the name and address of a contact person within a deployed group or unit and they dole out letters and packages to soldiers under their command who don't receive much mail. You can search for soldiers by deployment dates, branches of service, what state their unit is from, or by how many times their address was requested.

Hope that helps!