Menu

AAS Level 1 questions

FairProspects

Can I just say that I love this program? I can't believe how much ds can actually read when he can hear and spell words as opposed to just trying to sound them out and blend.

We are almost to the part of Step 6 where the student is supposed to write the words he/she spells. With ds's fine motor skills, there is no way he could write this list on paper. Is it enough to have him just spell them with the tiles or should he also write them in sand or rice or something? What is the program trying to cement by paper/pencil writing and what non-writing method would be closest to achieving that?

I don't ask my 5 year old to spell on paper. I have him dictate the spelling to me (I write on the whiteboard). This way, he can see any mistakes he makes and correct them, but we don't have fights about how much his hand hurts.

Perhaps you could have him write one word per step? And increase the number as you go? But know that as you continue in AAS, there is more writing - several 2 or 3 word phrases and several sentences per step in level 2. So if you decide to modify, you need to comfortable with it long term, kwim?

Can I just say that I love this program? I can't believe how much ds can actually read when he can hear and spell words as opposed to just trying to sound them out and blend.

We are almost to the part of Step 6 where the student is supposed to write the words he/she spells. With ds's fine motor skills, there is no way he could write this list on paper. Is it enough to have him just spell them with the tiles or should he also write them in sand or rice or something? What is the program trying to cement by paper/pencil writing and what non-writing method would be closest to achieving that?

Writing the word is another way of cementing the proper spelling. I think I would be inclined to do a mixture of methods. Do some with the tiles, and do some with tactile methods like writing with his finger in a tray of rice, or writing with his finger on a carpet square. I think by learning the movements with his hand and arm that you are doing something more than you do with just tiles that might help the transition to writing be easier. But if he hasn't learned how to form all of his letters yet, I would only use the tactile methods on words that use letters he has learned for the time being. You could also let him spell some of the words orally.

I also agree that I might try to have him write one word per day, or every few days, and see if you can gradually build up--go at his pace. Even in level 1 there is dictation of phrases, and the dictation is an important part of the program. If your son isn't writing when you reach those, still have him do those with the tiles and/or tactile methods. HTH! Merry :-)

I would do one of three things. Have him build them with Playdoh (though that is time consuming, so maybe only missed words?), write them out in sand (a favorite here) or have him write with two fingers in the air.

Heather

Could I have him spell it with the tiles first and then write it or does that defeat the purpose of dictation? I think he could write the words (or some of the words) if he could see them on the tiles but he cannot spontaneously produce letters without seeing an example.

I think that's a fine way to start. As he gets older & becomes more familiar with how to make all of the letters, you can gradually transition him to writing without the tiles first.

Merry :-)

I think that's a fine way to start. As he gets older & becomes more familiar with how to make all of the letters, you can gradually transition him to writing without the tiles first.

Merry :-)

That's how we started with my son. It gave him the confidence to try the writing. I'm all for anything that helps a new writer feel supported and encouraged. You want him to feel that he is practicing -- not being tested.

I think the purpose of dictating the words is to teach him how to visualize the correct letters and the proper spelling of the word in his head. Building the words with the tiles is kind of preparing him to be able to take this step. I think of it as kind of the same progression as narration-dictation-writing from memory. What if you had him write the first three words on the list and then for the rest he could spell the word to you and you could write it down for him as he watched? With the goal of him working up to completing the whole list on his own.

Could I have him spell it with the tiles first and then write it or does that defeat the purpose of dictation? I think he could write the words (or some of the words) if he could see them on the tiles but he cannot spontaneously produce letters without seeing an example.

You might also have him dictate the spelling to you, and then copy the word after you have written it.