Menu

Career Options for a Child without a College Degree (Crosspost)

Mom0012

Can anyone make some suggestions for good career paths for my stepdaughter, who is not going to be able to make it through college? She is well into her first semester of community college and is doing terribly even though all of her courses are on the remedial level. She has severe learning disabilities, but has held a job at our local grocery store the last couple of years as a cashier and done well. She is very outgoing, dependable, and responsible. Since she loves being around people, that is a must for any job she considers.

I am going to crosspost this on the general and high school boards. Thank you so much!

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I think there are lots of things she could do, but what does she like? What are her strengths?

Is she getting any accomodations at the cc? What are her LDs specifically?

Renee -

I think her strengths are pretty much what I listed in my original e-mail - outgoing, dependable and responsible. She is also a kind person and can be a hard worker, but she does not like to work hard physically. She loves animals.

Academically, she is very weak. Often, she will be able to learn the material with a lot of work, but then she quickly forgets it without constant review. She almost presents as FAS. She has visual issues in that she does not see things the way others do. Geometry was impossible for her to pass. She has coordination issues as well. Her writing skills are on a very low level and so is her reading. She is on the lower end for IQ. She has always had an IEP and the CC is implementing the IEP she had from HS. She is currently taking Algebra I, Remedial Reading and Remedial Writing at the CC.

Lisa

Renee -

I think her strengths are pretty much what I listed in my original e-mail - outgoing, dependable and responsible. She is also a kind person and can be a hard worker, but she does not like to work hard physically. She loves animals.

Academically, she is very weak. Often, she will be able to learn the material with a lot of work, but then she quickly forgets it without constant review. She almost presents as FAS. She has visual issues in that she does not see things the way others do. Geometry was impossible for her to pass. She has coordination issues as well. Her writing skills are on a very low level and so is her reading. She is on the lower end for IQ. She has always had an IEP and the CC is implementing the IEP she had from HS. She is currently taking Algebra I, Remedial Reading and Remedial Writing at the CC.

Lisa

What about working at a vet's office?

At a pet store?

:grouphug: I have a ds who is much like your daughter. He is much younger, but I imagine that in the future I will be asking some of the same questions.

What about working at a vet's office?

At a pet store?

:grouphug: I have a ds who is much like your daughter. He is much younger, but I imagine that in the future I will be asking some of the same questions.

She was interested in being a vet tech at one point. This is something I did look into a little, but the pay was so low, and we live in such an expensive area, it just didn't seem possible she would be able to support herself. Maybe we should look again. Now I'm starting to wonder if she will be able to support herself.

Thank you!

Lisa

She was interested in being a vet tech at one point. This is something I did look into a little, but the pay was so low, and we live in such an expensive area, it just didn't seem possible she would be able to support herself. Maybe we should look again. Now I'm starting to wonder if she will be able to support herself.

Thank you!

Lisa

You said she had an IEP from hs - was that public school? If so, did they not work on a transition plan?

If she had wanted to go into special ed., could she work towards being a class aide for a special needs student? This doesn't require a college degree. Or possible even as a day care asst. in a pre-school? What about working at an animal shelter, or even a zoo, if she loves animals? Our local zoo has several asst. type jobs that do not have educational requirements (though it may be too much physical work).

You said she had an IEP from hs - was that public school? If so, did they not work on a transition plan?

Yes, it was public school, but I've never heard of a transition plan. Basically, the CC said they would honor her IEP accommodations for at least the first year of her attendance.

Lisa

If she had wanted to go into special ed., could she work towards being a class aide for a special needs student? This doesn't require a college degree. Or possible even as a day care asst. in a pre-school? What about working at an animal shelter, or even a zoo, if she loves animals? Our local zoo has several asst. type jobs that do not have educational requirements (though it may be too much physical work).

These are very good ideas! I will add them to my list. Thank you.

Lisa

If she is outgoing and has good people skills, then sales might be a good field for her.

Or perhaps something in a trade, such as cook/chef, hotel management/work, massage therapist.

My DH never went to college, also has ADHD and LD's, and does quite well in sales. I fully expect our DS will not be able to handle college either, and we will be pondering your same question in a few years.

Michelle T

Can anyone make some suggestions for good career paths for my stepdaughter, who is not going to be able to make it through college? She is well into her first semester of community college and is doing terribly even though all of her courses are on the remedial level. She has severe learning disabilities, but has held a job at our local grocery store the last couple of years as a cashier and done well. She is very outgoing, dependable, and responsible. Since she loves being around people, that is a must for any job she considers.

I am going to crosspost this on the general and high school boards. Thank you so much!

Lisa

Does she like her job at the local grocery store? I don't know if it's still this way, but grocery store cashiers used to earn decent wages. One woman I knew did fine in college but continued her job at as a grocery store clerk after college. She enjoyed it, and it paid union wages. I sometimes decide which grocery stores to shop at (or avoid) based on my experience with the cashiers when checking-out. Stores need good people who are friendly and courteous.

I worked as a vet tech to put myself through college. It was a great job. I began by volunteering to see if I liked it, then hired on. There were several vet techs that had been there for years and were paid fairly high. Your dd may just have to work up to the pay scale she wants.

I worked as a vet tech to put myself through college. It was a great job. I began by volunteering to see if I liked it, then hired on. There were several vet techs that had been there for years and were paid fairly high. Your dd may just have to work up to the pay scale she wants.

Thank you for this information!

Lisa