Menu

College Acceptances and/or Scholarships - Class of 2010

creekland

That's wonderful. Tell P. congratulations for me.

Thanks Bev. Given that Beloit has a wonderful anthropology museum on campus where majors in that field can do museum studies work, you can imagine how excited P is by the possibilities! I'll report back after he visits at the end of January. Brrrr....

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been offboard most of the Christmas vacation as my computer was dying a slow death. But, it's been bandaged to get me through this year (I pray!).

So good to hear of all these acceptances! Congratulations all!

Given Florida's ample state scholarship program, Ds1 applied to 2 state universities. He's heard from one and received two scholarship opportunities from that school (in addition to Bright Futures). He won't hear from the other until February. In the meantime, he's happily plugging along with his dual-enrollment at our university and experiencing most of the college life right now!

Great thread, Jane. It will be fun to see where everyone ends up for the fall. :001_smile:

Lisa

He just heard from Southwestern University in Georgetown, TX, another of those schools that Change Lives (at least according to Loren Pope). A fat envelope with a generous merit award arrived in today's mail!

:hurray::hurray::hurray: All the hard work is starting to pay off! I guess I've missed these announcements - I don't look at this board often (yet). I read your other post here, too. Whoohoo!

He just heard from Southwestern University in Georgetown, TX, another of those schools that Change Lives (at least according to Loren Pope). A fat envelope with a generous merit award arrived in today's mail!

Now that must have been a fun envelope to open! Congratulations to your son, Jane.

Regards,

Kareni

Congratulations to P. again, Jane! That's fantastic. Which school do you think he's leaning towards and how many has he yet to hear from?

Case Western Reserve with a Provost Scholarship

Tulane University -- named as a Founders Scholar (merit scholarship)

Rose-Hulman **

Drexel -- Honors college w/ scholarship

CO School of Mines **

Colorado School of Mines came through with a nice merit scholarship today :)

Drexel sent a letter increasing DS' merit scholarship......

Still waiting to hear from four other schools. AND DS is considering adding another school..... :glare:

Oh, a funny here. DS has 'hired' his younger brother to retrieve the mail before I retrieve it. The deal they have set-up is that if younger brother gets any college acceptance letters to older brother first then he'll pay his brother $5. Now, I am NOT opening DS' mail but of course you know who it is from based on the exterior of the envelope. LOL!! At least our mail is quickly coming into the house these days.

Carole

Edited by Blue Hen

aren't they a hoot?!?

Dd has been so high-strung about opening *her* mail (I mistakenly opened 1 (one!) acceptance letter, before we were supposed to start having them arrive) and she was extra sensitive about it. I slit open a couple of her letters just to tweak her a bit last week. ;) (All but one of the acceptances is in; now the envelopes are just misc communications, until late Feb/March when we'll start getting yeahs/nays on the Honors programs.)

They are a hoot. One of those thin envelopes DS received in was from one of his accepted to schools. They increased his merit scholarship! He was happy and I was happy I hadn't opened it. We've been getting communications regarding submitting FAFSA even with estimates (we have) and open houses for accepted seniors. If I knew the winter weather was going to be good I'd sign DS up for a few trips however I'm hesitant to plan ahead for February to drive to NY or Ohio or IN. ahhh, mail is coming..... :)

I hate it that I don't care for college students' general appearance and demeanor these days. One of her classes that she sat in on was excellent (church history), but the art students--oy--what an unkempt bunch, and I'm a jeans and sweatshirt gal! (The art faculty seemed rather casual as well.)

I realized today that I am comparing today's college world to mine, and since I went to what is arguably one of the best of the best Cxn colleges, it is hard to send dd to look at something that I *know* isn't what I had.

I did ask herself if she could imagine herself there, and she said she could, which has been a real struggle for her at the state uni. She wants to be with peers, and at the uni, the vast majority do not have share the same passions. If she were passionate about art, it would be the uni, hands down.

We will see at least another 5 campuses...dh is taking her to CA.

Congrts on the most recent thin envelope!! I'm glad to hear this is modus operandi! :)

Time to update ds's list:

DS so far (he applied to 11 colleges):

Carthage College (WI) -$42,000 merit ($4,000 more when he interviews for Honors in Feb.)

Montana State - Bozeman - $24,000 merit (both here and Carthage is trying for Honors Scholarships, too.)

Ferris State (Michigan) UPDATE 11/11 - Ferris just offered two scholarships - one gives in-state tuition (almost $20,000) and the other, merit-based, is $22,000 total.

University of Minnesota- Twin Cities - ACCEPTED!!! No scholarship info until March, though. He should get some merit, at least.

Augustana College (IL) - $66,000 -

Illinois Wesleyan - $40,000

and just now two big fat envelopes came...

Wooster - Ohio $69,000!!!!!

University of the South - Sewanee- TN $48,000 (ds calls this one "Hogwarts" since our visit. Looks like H., and Honors kids and many professors wear black robes!!!)

yet to hear from...

Vanderbilt

University of the Pacific - Stockton, CA

Gettysburg

Ohhh... Wesleyan just called ds asking if the FAFSA had been filed yet (it was yesterday) - they told him they have more money to give out and he is one of the top students they want for the class of 2014. That gave ds a boost!!!

Edited by JFSinIL

and just now two big fat envelopes came...

Wooster - Ohio $69,000!!!!!

University of the South - Sewanee- TN $48,000 (ds calls this one "Hogwarts" since our visit. Looks like H., and Honors kids and many professors wear black robes!!!)

Wow, exciting news for you and your son! It looks like he will have fun making a decision. Congratulations ....

Regards,

Kareni

Just received the acceptance letter from University of Delaware and DS was accepted into their College of Engineering and their Honors College. We knew DS would get into U of D but we weren't sure that he would get into their Honors College. :) They do not award merit scholarships until mid-March or early April. :eek:

Case Western Reserve with a Provost Scholarship

Tulane University -- named as a Founders Scholar w/ merit scholarship

Rose-Hulman **

Drexel -- Honors college w/ scholarship

CO School of Mines w/ merit scholarship

** wait until March to announce merit scholarships.

Congratulations to your son, Carole!

My son's letter from College of Wooster arrived today with a handsome Dean's Award.

I was teaching a sewing workshop to some homeschoolers when my son phoned me with the news. All of the Moms of younger students are always so relieved to hear that homeschooled students they know are not only accepted to college, they are also offered generous merit awards.

Exciting stuff.

Congratulations to you and your son Jane! When I lived in Ohio an engineer friend was from Wooster and then he interviewed for a job in Worcester, Ma. It was funny trying to teach him the proper way to pronounce Worcester after all those years in Wooster.

So much good news floating around here. It is exciting stuff!

Carole

The Boy has been accepted at his dream school: Dickinson. Merit offer included. May I just say...

:party:

Congratulations! We were at Hawkwatch nearby at the same time as a Dickinson class. The professor seemed REALLY knowledgeable and fun to listen to. (Just sharing a memory.)

Thanks Kathy, Karen and Carole.

Most of the colleges we looked at had much later application deadlines than US colleges, they just say they'll let you know by x date.

Funny thing about Dalhousie, though, is that they sent her a letter dated December 24 stating that they wouldn't consider her application until after receipt of her mid year grades -- well I haven't sent them yet, but dd's letters of recommendation arrived there ~Jan 21, the admit letter was mailed Jan 25.

It was really good to receive this today as dd spent from 4-11 this morning in the emergency room with a very nasty GI bug -- she's home now but must see her own doc on Monday. Prayers for healing will be most welcome.

The acceptance today really gave her a boost -- somebody wants her and it isn't just her Mom.

~Moira

Funny thing about Dalhousie, though, is that they sent her a letter dated December 24 stating that they wouldn't consider her application until after receipt of her mid year grades -- well I haven't sent them yet, but dd's letters of recommendation arrived there ~Jan 21, the admit letter was mailed Jan 25.

That is funny; I'm guessing those letters of recommendation and the rest of her application must have been stellar!

It was really good to receive this today as dd spent from 4-11 this morning in the emergency room with a very nasty GI bug -- she's home now but must see her own doc on Monday. Prayers for healing will be most welcome.

Sending positive thoughts that she'll soon be well.

Regards,

Kareni

• 2 weeks later...

dd heard today that she has been admitted pending final grades to McGill in Montreal with a major renewable scholarship. McGill is her heart's desire.

She received the news in Children's Hospital Boston where she'd been since Monday night -- scary at the time but fortunately she came home today and doing well.

She'd joked on Tuesday that if the emergency room was worth admission then being in the hospital should be worth admission and a scholarship.

She says she's not sure she wants to hear from her 3rd application...:)

~Moira

dd heard today that she has been admitted pending final grades to McGill in Montreal with a major renewable scholarship. McGill is her heart's desire.

She received the news in Children's Hospital Boston where she'd been since Monday night -- scary at the time but fortunately she came home today and doing well.

She'd joked on Tuesday that if the emergency room was worth admission then being in the hospital should be worth admission and a scholarship.

~Moira

Congrats to your daughter to whom I send good wishes for recovery.

The decision making is going to be tough for many of our students.

Hugs,

Jane

~Moira

Wow, exciting. McGill is an outstanding school. It is so fulfilling to get acceptance at your college of choice.

Congrats and hope for a speedy recovery.

Nadia

• 2 weeks later...

Jane,

DS visited some friends in Carlisle Friday / Saturday. They are hs'ers who live in Carlisle. Saturday morning the kids walked around town and all around Dickenson's campus. DS who does not like cities or towns told me on the way home that he really liked Dickinson's campus and expressed that he wished it had a chem e program. He enjoyed walking around Carlisle too. This from a kid who rarely likes a college campus and I think this might be the first town he has enjoyed walking.

Just thought I'd share :)

Carole

Jane,

DS visited some friends in Carlisle Friday / Saturday. They are hs'ers who live in Carlisle. Saturday morning the kids walked around town and all around Dickenson's campus. DS who does not like cities or towns told me on the way home that he really liked Dickinson's campus and expressed that he wished it had a chem e program. He enjoyed walking around Carlisle too. This from a kid who rarely likes a college campus and I think this might be the first town he has enjoyed walking.

Just thought I'd share :)

Carole

My son compares the trees on Dickinson's campus to the trees on all other campuses. It really is lovely, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...
DD just got her acceptance letter from Pacific Northwest College of Art...with a scholarship for about 1/3 of tuition. Very nice. It's out of state for us, though, which means she wouldn't get her CalGrant. It all evens out, it seems.

She'll be thrilled.

Congratulations to the Artist! And to you!

Jane

Congratulations to Laurel's future artist! Very nice!

My daughter was accepted yesterday to William & Mary as a Monroe Scholar. It comes with a small research grant, special freshman dorm, seminar series, and some other stuff.

Since it's a state school for us, we know that she'll at least have one affordable choice that she likes.:)

She's still waiting on the last three colleges and financial aid from a fourth.

~Kathy

My daughter was accepted yesterday to William & Mary as a Monroe Scholar. It comes with a small research grant, special freshman dorm, seminar series, and some other stuff.

Since it's a state school for us, we know that she'll at least have one affordable choice that she likes.:)

She's still waiting on the last three colleges and financial aid from a fourth.

~Kathy

Congratulations to your daughter again, Kathy! It appears that my son will not even be in a position to make a final decision until some point in April. Sigh... He seems fine with the wait even if it is driving his mother nuts!

• 4 weeks later...

My dd was accepted this week at Stanford and Princeton, & wait-listed at Swarthmore. Needless to say, we're still in a state of shock and happiness for her.

Even better, for those who know me from WTM, is that my husband found a new job after a very long and worrisome eight-month search. After wondering all year long whether or not we'd be able to afford college at all, it now looks like dd can make an informed choice without worrying too much about the money.:). The schools she's most interested in attending also provided us with the best need-based financial award packages.

Now we're making travel plans to visit her top three colleges...she really is torn between a few. All through high school she has wanted to go to MIT, but around last November, she started having second thoughts about what she'd have to give up at a tech school (she loves the classics, Latin, art, dance), so she added in a more well-rounded college or two at the last minute. Now those colleges are serious contenders!

We'll have a fun time in April watching her make up her mind:glare:.

~Kathy