Menu

College Acceptances and/or Scholarships - Class of 2010

creekland

This week dd was admitted to the University of Chicago and to MIT. We have a very happy girl here!

Still waiting on financial aid statements...We should get a couple of them in the mail soon. Dd won't here results from her other applications till March or April, so we're going to wait till then for decision-making.

~Kathy

Congratulations to the Happy, Mathy Girl! And you!

Jane

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to you both and to every one else with admissions decisions.

I'm still struggling to get course of study materials together for January deadlines, dd has completed her applications although she still has a couple of essays to write for a major scholarship application.

Good luck finishing up the paperwork and best of luck to your daughter with her applications and scholarships!

I might be mistaken, but I think our dd's were friends in AP English last year maybe? L wishes your dd great good luck, too!

~Kathy

Congratulations to the Happy, Mathy Girl! And you!

Thanks, Jane! Boy, it's fun to have something to celebrate - with dh's upcoming layoff on the 31st, it's been a bit gloomy of late.

We had a celebration last night, watching Pride & Prejudice into the wee hours and munching pizza:)...she's just rolling out of bed now.

~Kathy

Thanks, Jane! Boy, it's fun to have something to celebrate - with dh's upcoming layoff on the 31st, it's been a bit gloomy of late.

We had a celebration last night, watching Pride & Prejudice into the wee hours and munching pizza:)...she's just rolling out of bed now.

~Kathy

Kathy, I am so sorry to hear about your husband's situation. Ugh. Sending you good thoughts for happy endings in the new year (lots of scholarship money for your daughter and a great new job for your husband).

Peace and joy.

Jane

This week dd was admitted to the University of Chicago and to MIT. We have a very happy girl here! ~Kathy

Kathy, I am so happy for you and your daughter. You both have worked so hard and you got what you deserved. Hope your husband also finds good news for himself soon. You and your family are just amazing!

:party: :party: :party: :party:

This week dd was admitted to the University of Chicago and to MIT. We have a very happy girl here!

Still waiting on financial aid statements...We should get a couple of them in the mail soon. Dd won't hear results from her other applications till March or April, so we're going to wait till then for decision-making.

~Kathy

That's fantastic news!

Congratulations, Kathy, to both you and your daughter! Those are some very prestigious schools . . . wow! What does your daughter want to study?

And if it's not being too nosy, do you feel like sharing what factors you feel probably led to these admissions? I mean, did she get super high SAT scores . . . or multiple AP tests, etc.? Whatever is the case, I am happy for you and your family! :)

Still waiting on financial aid statements...We should get a couple of them in the mail soon. Dd won't hear results from her other applications till March or April, so we're going to wait till then for decision-making.

~Kathy

Kathy,

I can't think of a better validation of homeschooling than this. Wow. I'll be praying for you and your family that the financial aid works out so that your dd can choose her best option option out of so many great choices.

Merry Christmas!

Brenda

DS received an email from Tulane University --- accepted :)

To date that's:

Tulane University

Rose-Hulman

Drexel, Honor's College w/ scholarship

CO School of Mines

The other schools do not announce merit aid until March, IFFF he gets merit aid.

Still waiting to hear from his safety school (the one that wouldn't send him or us into too much debt and his 4 dream schools...) Those should come in between January and late March.

Carole

Add in that from the snail mail package arrived from Tulane University. DS was named a Tulane Scholar which comes with a nice scholarship for each of the four years that would cover about half the yearly expense :)

He also was accepted to Case Western Reserve. We're waiting for their snail mail package.

Carole

Woo Hoo! My daughter just received her acceptance letter from Grove City College. She applied Early Decision, and it was the ONLY place she really wanted to go. We are all THRILLED!!!

Congratulations to your daughter!

And congratulations to those with additional acceptances.

Patience to those who are still waiting to hear.

And condolences to any who have received deferrals; I hope good news is around the corner.

Regards,

Kareni

Congratulations to all from me as well! I don't always post to try not to overclutter this thread, but I'm certainly celebrating with y'all and looking at the multiple possibilities that are out there for my other two to choose from when their turn comes. It sure seems to me that homeschoolers can go anywhere their talents lead them.

Congratulations to all from me as well! I don't always post to try not to overclutter this thread, but I'm certainly celebrating with y'all and looking at the multiple possibilities that are out there for my other two to choose from when their turn comes. It sure seems to me that homeschoolers can go anywhere their talents lead them.

I, too, want to congratulate all and encourage those still waiting. While my older has his plans set for next year, my younger is a junior so I will be doing this all over again next year....:eek:

At least I know the colleges will not laugh at my transcripts!

I, too, want to congratulate all and encourage those still waiting. While my older has his plans set for next year, my younger is a junior so I will be doing this all over again next year....:eek:

At least I know the colleges will not laugh at my transcripts!

You and I both. I have my eldest safely tucked away and happy at college (her last final was today, in fact), but the next one is a junior. And I know exactly what is facing us both next year. :ohmy: I am simultaeously anticipating and dreading this season.

DS received an email from Tulane University --- accepted :)

To date that's:

Tulane University

Rose-Hulman

Drexel w/ scholarship

CO School of Mines

The other schools do not announce merit aid until March, IFFF he gets merit aid.

Still waiting to hear from his safety school (the one that wouldn't send him or us into too much debt and his 4 dream schools...) Those should come in between January and late March.

Carole

I just checked in this snowy morning! Congrats to your son and to you too MOM!!!!

This is so exciting, especially after all our conversations last spring! I'm so thrilled for him!

Now you have to wait and play the scholarship game ;):D

A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU!

Hi Lynn, thanks so much! Just saw your question - we've been enjoying having our ds home from college amidst the first big Richmond snowstorm in a long while:-)

My dd wants to study pure mathematics, with side interests in art and Latin/classics. I hate to hazard a guess about why she's having such great good luck so far. It could have been just the opposite - we feel blessed and a bit lucky!! She did have great standardized testing scores (national merit level, but not perfect), lots of SAT Subject tests and a whole lot of AP tests with nice results. She self-studied most of her courses at home with a little outsourcing from PA Homeschoolers, Stanford EPGY, Write at Home, and Art of Problem Solving.

Her applications painted a pretty good picture of herself: passionate math geek (lots of math classes, traveling math team, competitions, summer math camps galore, math tutor, MathCounts coach,...) and energetic kid (taught a class at camp last summer, editor-in-chief of camp yearbook, art enthusiast, dancer,4H'er -I wish I had her energy!). She had a couple of outside teachers who loved her to write her rec letters. Her application essays were her true self -she was so honest in them that I cringed a little, but I guess they liked them?

Now we have to get back to work while we wait for the rest of her results to come around April 1. Financial aid will also be a big factor in her decision-making. But I just want to say that while she's accomplished, she's just a kid and far from perfect - she spends way too much time on facebook and thinking about boys:). She'll be happy wherever she lands next year. I'll be the sad one who will miss her terribly!

~Kathy <- off to play in the snow

Hi Lynn, thanks so much! Just saw your question - we've been enjoying having our ds home from college amidst the first big Richmond snowstorm in a long while:-)

My dd wants to study pure mathematics, with side interests in art and Latin/classics. I hate to hazard a guess about why she's having such great good luck so far. It could have been just the opposite - we feel blessed and a bit lucky!! She did have great standardized testing scores (national merit level, but not perfect), lots of SAT Subject tests and a whole lot of AP tests with nice results. She self-studied most of her courses at home with a little outsourcing from PA Homeschoolers, Stanford EPGY, Write at Home, and Art of Problem Solving.

Her applications painted a pretty good picture of herself: passionate math geek (lots of math classes, traveling math team, competitions, summer math camps galore, math tutor, MathCounts coach,...) and energetic kid (taught a class at camp last summer, editor-in-chief of camp yearbook, art enthusiast, dancer,4H'er -I wish I had her energy!). She had a couple of outside teachers who loved her to write her rec letters. Her application essays were her true self -she was so honest in them that I cringed a little, but I guess they liked them?

Now we have to get back to work while we wait for the rest of her results to come around April 1. Financial aid will also be a big factor in her decision-making. But I just want to say that while she's accomplished, she's just a kid and far from perfect - she spends way too much time on facebook and thinking about boys:). She'll be happy wherever she lands next year. I'll be the sad one who will miss her terribly!

~Kathy <- off to play in the snow

Kathy, what a great and transparent post! :) I think I "hear" what you're saying . . . great scores and lots of effort (from SAT Subject tests and AP test), but also just a pretty ordinary young lady in lots of ways. I think both you and she have done a GREAT job, obviously! Thanks for sharing what worked for your family . . . and I do understand that it will look different for different families.

Congrats again!

And today DS received a fat envelope from:

Case Western Reserve with a Provost Scholarship

Add to that the previous 4 acceptances:

Tulane University -- named as a Founders Scholar (merit scholarship)

Rose-Hulman **

Drexel -- Honors college w/ scholarship

CO School of Mines **

It's been a nice fall for us.

Four more to hear from but they won't come in for awhile.

Carole

** These two wait until March to announce merit scholarships.

This is just spectacular news! What a very merry Christmas you shall have indeed!

I can't even begin to say how happy I am for you!

A small brag for us....DS earned a 3.86 for his first quarter. He is so happy there, I hope with all my heart that your son finds his perfect fit as well. It has been worth every minute of research and travel expended to find the right place for him.

You must be on cloud nine, at least, right now!!!!

Super congrats!!!

:party:

Dd is continuing to wait while news rolls in. She got her acceptance from Biola w/ an offer of a President's Scholarship. :w00t:

It is at the top of her list of colleges because it is NASAD accredited in art, plus Biola is connected to graduate programs in pysch (Rosemeade) and to Talbot Seminary, should she desire to pursue seminary there.) She was going out to a movie with a friend tonight and got the good news on her way out the door.

Now for that FAFSA...and back to the scholarship apps...aacckk!

Edited by Valerie(TX)

Dd is continuing to wait while news rolls in. She got her acceptance from Biola w/ an offer of a President's Scholarship. :w00t:

It is at the top of her list of colleges because it is NASAD accredited in art, plus Biola is connected to graduate programs in pysch (Rosemeade) and to Talbot Seminary, should she desire to pursue seminary there.) She was going out to a movie with a friend tonight and got the good news on her way out the door.

Now for that FAFSA...and back to the scholarship apps...aacckk!

Wow . . . that's fantastic news!! Congratulations!! :D

~Kathy

Congratulations, Kathy! That's great news!

My oldest has heard back from two schools so far---Truman State University, in Kirksville, MO, and the state school which is closer to us: Southeast Missouri State University. Truman is a very highly-ranked public university, and would be my personal preference for her. She did get a $4,000/year merit scholarship from them, but they have other scholarships they'll be handing out in the early spring. She got a Regent's scholarship from SEMO, which covers all her tuition. She's also applied to Washington University, St. Louis University, Central Missouri State University, and St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN. She also just completed a vocal scholarship application towards the latter, which we mailed off; she'll also apply for vocal scholarships at SEMO, Truman, and Central Missouri. We'll see what happens!

My oldest has heard back from two schools so far---Truman State University, in Kirksville, MO, and the state school which is closer to us: Southeast Missouri State University. Truman is a very highly-ranked public university, and would be my personal preference for her. She did get a $4,000/year merit scholarship from them, but they have other scholarships they'll be handing out in the early spring. She got a Regent's scholarship from SEMO, which covers all her tuition. She's also applied to Washington University, St. Louis University, Central Missouri State University, and St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN. She also just completed a vocal scholarship application towards the latter, which we mailed off; she'll also apply for vocal scholarships at SEMO, Truman, and Central Missouri. We'll see what happens!

Yeah Michelle! How exciting! Give your daughter a high five and a hug from me.

Jane

My oldest has heard back from two schools so far---Truman State University, in Kirksville, MO, and the state school which is closer to us: Southeast Missouri State University. Truman is a very highly-ranked public university, and would be my personal preference for her. She did get a $4,000/year merit scholarship from them, but they have other scholarships they'll be handing out in the early spring. She got a Regent's scholarship from SEMO, which covers all her tuition.

Yay, Michelle - this is great news, too!! You and your daughter must be happy to have such nice choices with scholarship money already! I'll be wishing with you that she gets additional merit money come spring.

She's also applied to Washington University, St. Louis University, Central Missouri State University, and St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN. She also just completed a vocal scholarship application towards the latter, which we mailed off; she'll also apply for vocal scholarships at SEMO, Truman, and Central Missouri. We'll see what happens!

She's got a lovely set of schools on her list. I've especially heard nice things about St. Olaf. Good luck to her! It's hard to wait till spring sometimes. I told my dd that now she can re-focus on her school work and just be patient till spring when the rest of the schools get back to her and the financial aid/scholarship results are in. "But, Mom!! Patience is just not what I'm good at right now!!" Teenagers are fun!

~Kathy

She's got a lovely set of schools on her list. I've especially heard nice things about St. Olaf. Good luck to her! It's hard to wait till spring sometimes. I told my dd that now she can re-focus on her school work and just be patient till spring when the rest of the schools get back to her and the financial aid/scholarship results are in. "But, Mom!! Patience is just not what I'm good at right now!!" Teenagers are fun!

~Kathy

St. Olaf is a really good college; I grew up in Minnesota, and if I could do college over again, I would go there! My daughter seems to want to stay in Missouri, which is fine with me, but she's applying to St. Olaf, just in case. :) I don't know where St. Olaf shows up on college rankings; I've seen the US News & World Report ranking of universities, but not colleges. At any rate, besides having a music program (choir, orchestra, etc.) that is really like a conservatory in stature, they also have very strong math and science departments. I can't find it on their website, but some literature that we received from them seemed to indicate that their math department was ranked third in the country---but I'm not certain if that ranking was in comparison to other colleges or colleges/universities in general.

Also, the campus is beautiful---old stone buildings covered with ivy, lots of trees and grass, etc. It is expensive, though!

Edited by Michelle in MO

Just wanted to add that dd got another "fat envelope" yesterday from Messiah College in PA, also a great pick for her b/c of the accredited art program and, in particular, b/c of the very interesting approach they take to experiential service learning--they are very focused on having students learn to integrate their faith and learning, then apply it in a hands-on way. (Run on sentence, anyone?)

If I were the one going to college, I'd first move the school from PA to somewhere warmer, then I'd get another undergraduate degree. :lol:

She also received a hefty scholarship offer (> than the other one), but their Honors program may be more competitive. I wish she'd had her nicely formatted vita done when she applied. We'll see if they invite her to apply for it.

Thanks for listening! (It helps to celebrate a wee bit after working for another hour or two on the drudgery that is pulling together early financials for FAFSA...)

I didn't realize it was seven days...

Any recent additions to your ds' list?? You guys are amazing...I can't believe the choices before him...how will he ever make up his mind??? Once again, you both are incredible!!

It's been so much fun reading about all the things our kids are doing and where they are considering going. In my dd's case, the two most recent acceptances are perfect for who she is, so we are overjoyed. The other choices give her a range of very "safe" schools financially and geographically, and were she in the honors programs, she'd be in good company.

Congrats to you and your ds, and may the New Year bring additional great news!

Thanks Val. He has four other schools to hear from: 1 should arrive mid-Jan and the other 3 in late Feb / early March time frame. We need to see where the financial aid comes in and like many other families weigh the cost. He applied to schools he could see himself attending and they are all great choices.

I wanted to mention that we have friends whose DD attends Messiah College. She's now a Jr and loves the school. English/writing major. Very friendly to homeschoolers too.

Carole

Edited by Blue Hen

Messiah is a great school as well....sounds like you may have some tough choices ahead!

DS was seriously thinking about Messiah as well. It was in his top 4.

Hey, one thing that I think is great about Messiah is it is extremely close to Roundtop Ski resort....a very nice little local hill....best snow in the area. I think it is about 15 minutes from the school.

:lol:

My son received an acceptance packet today from Beloit. Before Christmas, a letter arrived inviting him to attend a Beloit Presidential Scholarship weekend. While we assumed that the invitation meant that he was accepted , it was nice when he found the fat envelope in the mailbox.

My son has applied to six colleges, three of which are in Loren Pope's book. Hearing from Beloit was a lovely way to begin the new year!

Jane

My son received an acceptance packet today from Beloit. Before Christmas, a letter arrived inviting him to attend a Beloit Presidential Scholarship weekend. While we assumed that the invitation meant that he was accepted , it was nice when he found the fat envelope in the mailbox.

My son has applied to six colleges, three of which are in Loren Pope's book. Hearing from Beloit was a lovely way to begin the new year!

Jane

That's wonderful. Tell P. congratulations for me.