Menu

What do you think of NOEO Science?

LittleIzumi

I had the same problem with Singapore. We buzzed through it very quickly.

Right now I am using NOEO Physics 1. It isn't super challenging, but it is an excellent spine. I bought the whole book and experiment set. We follow what the guide says, but then I add in more books and experiments from the library. So, for example, the last couple of weeks we learned about light and color. I got more books about light and color. We learned about topics not discussed too. We read a really interesting book about cold light (bioluminescence, LEDs, etc).

I like having the ordered plan to work off of. I don't mind adding in more things, I just don't often know where to start. This helps me with planning. It is a lot like SOTW. It has the child do narrations too. I don't have my son narrate everything. There is a spot on the sheets for drawing a picture (instead of or in addition to a narration). Sometimes it is as simple as copying down a definition, which I do often have him do.

I love that the experiments are ready to go. Although we do a lot of science experiments, I am sometimes annoyed with having to find all of the little odds and ends to do them. Sometimes I just hand DS the packet and tell him to go at it. He likes figuring the stuff out himself and I think it is good practice for following directions.

I plan to try some of the other NOEO science topics and levels. I have tried so many science books and this so far has worked out the best for us.

Oooh, that sounds perfect for us.... :D

It was too Charlotte-Masony for us. The best part are the experiments. I personally prefer RS4K, but they do whip through it. The Chem is the best part of RS4K, and after Chem 1 there is Chem 2 which is quite a bit longer and where the students have to design their own experiments (but still 10 chapters.) RS4K 1 is for grades 4-6 (so 9-11 year olds if going by ps ages in those grades) and level 2 for grades 7-9. I like the fact that she puts grades rather than ages.

Honestly, my eldest simply devoured trade books on science and we did some science classes. When we tried to do a general textbook science when she was 13 for grade 8ish, she knew it all. However, she didn't know everything in RS4K Chem 2, although it didn't challenge her by that age (she enjoyed it, though.)

We found Physics I to be OK, but disjointed. Since numerous sources are used without added content from the author, concepts are not tied together. The Ein-o lever set was very cool though... I'd recommend purchasing that whether or not you go with NOEO.

Yeah, I'm mostly debating on getting the NOEO or just getting the two experiment kits that come with it :tongue_smilie:. I can always use some guidance, lol, but we go through living science books like crazy. I was hoping for a bit of guided, hands-on instruction with it, but if it's not high-caliber enough, I am fine getting library books for the week that match the experiments.

I bought the Biology I. I like the experiments as everyone has mentioned. If I were to do it again I might buy the experiments and maybe the teacher's guide. Maybe. My girls didn't like reading two pages, drawing a picture, reading two pages, etc. I also found myself adding to it and substituting anyway. I would instead use your library. My older DD thought the Audobon coloring book was cool, so I bought a few of those. I would consider a subscrtiption to the science experiments. I have to figure out where I found that online...

Here it is http://www.theyoungscientistsclub.com/programs.html

Oh, second thought, RS4K is becoming available for download for a lot less. Then you can just read it on your computer. I did this for pre level physics and it was something like $12. :) Just another idea to help save money.

Edited by melmichigan

I'm planning on using Noeo and supplementing with Sonlight (I've tenatively scheduled the appropriate books into each level) and Exploring Creation. We'll also get books from the library as needed.

I really like the idea of a living book science curriculum (since that's what we been doing so far) and notebooking through it, but I don't think that Noeo by itself will be enough reading for us. My boys tend to devour science books.

Like a PP, I think I'll really like the guidance of the TM. It will be easier for me to build on Noeo than building a program by myself. It'll also be nice to have the experiments there and ready to go. I love doing experiments, but not really planning them.

Here it is http://www.theyoungscientistsclub.com/programs.html

Oh, second thought, RS4K is becoming available for download for a lot less. Then you can just read it on your computer. I did this for pre level physics and it was something like $12. :) Just another idea to help save money.

That's a great idea, although I do like real books, but you could always print it out, right? There's a whole lot more to RS4K Chem 2; still 10 chapters, but much longer and the labs are great.

I have bought all chem and physics for level 1 and chem for prelevel. I would probably buy the chem II book rather than download. But for me with prelevel physics available online for so little was great, the new book will be almost $40. Don't quite know why it's so much more than the others. Oh, and yes you can certainly print it. I might eventually do that and then just put it together in a binder.

I have a laser printer so printing is not a problem. :D I got the NOEO manual used, and I'm going to get the kits and ues library books. If I like it, I might keep up with the series, otherwise we'll just use the experiments. I'll be checking out the REAL and RSK4 in a couple of years. (Maybe. Never know how fast they'll go....)