Menu

Question for those who have done REWARDS (and another reading question.)

We are about half way through REWARDS Secondary. So far, it hasn't been difficult and I do believe that it is helping some.

My question is about the prefixes/suffixes - did you have your student memorize what they mean?

His fluency is good - he had an oral reading test for another class yesterday and he read 137 wpm with few errors (I think he messed up exquisite.) His vocabulary, however, is pretty bad, which in turn causes his reading comprehension to be low. (He can summarize a passage, but has trouble with specific detail questions, inferences, etc.)

So, what can I do to help him there?

You could have him do prefixes and suffix meaning, but I wouldn't do it in conjunction with his REWARDS lessons. There are some programs that specifically work with suffixes and roots (Gk and Latin) which might help directly with vocabulary. But for the rest of comprehension, I'd recommend finishing REWARDS secondary, then moving on to REWARDS plus in either social studies or science. (We did science and ds liked it. I let him choose.) The REWARDS plus focus is not on decoding; it assumes that you've done the other REWARDS, and decoding is just a minor focus. Its 2 major focuses are comprehension and fluency. I thought the comprehension stuff was excellent.

You could have him do prefixes and suffix meaning, but I wouldn't do it in conjunction with his REWARDS lessons. There are some programs that specifically work with suffixes and roots (Gk and Latin) which might help directly with vocabulary. But for the rest of comprehension, I'd recommend finishing REWARDS secondary, then moving on to REWARDS plus in either social studies or science. (We did science and ds liked it. I let him choose.) The REWARDS plus focus is not on decoding; it assumes that you've done the other REWARDS, and decoding is just a minor focus. Its 2 major focuses are comprehension and fluency. I thought the comprehension stuff was excellent.

Thanks, Laurie. I thought we might do that and I am sure mine will choose Science as well. What programs work well with prefixes/suffixes? We're doing a regular vocab program and Vocab from the Classical Roots, which has some prefix/suffix work in it.

Thanks, Laurie. I thought we might do that and I am sure mine will choose Science as well. What programs work well with prefixes/suffixes? We're doing a regular vocab program and Vocab from the Classical Roots, which has some prefix/suffix work in it.

It sounds to be like that would be enough. I hope that REWARDS plus works well for you.

I am also doing REWARDS, and we do go through the prefixes and suffixes every day, but I don't make my daughter memorize them. I have them on flashcards with the meanings in the bottom corner. She reads the prefix/suffix and then reads the meaning. She does have some memorized, just because we've gone through them many times. I don't have her memorize them, though, because there are several introduced in each lesson.

Last year, we worked on prefixes and suffixes, but we only did one per week. Because of that, she had to memorize them. We also used the dictionary to find words with the prefixes, and find their meanings. I came up with words using the suffixes. I would give her a little quiz each week over the prefix/suffix we had studied and words containing the prefix/suffix. She had to write the definition of the prefix/suffix and a short definition of the words.

Hope this helps.

I like the Parker Readers, they have difficult words defined and diacritically marked.

They are linked at the bottom of my Webster Page, if you want "real" books, they are pretty cheap at ABE books and Alibris for the original 1800's books, many for $10 or a bit more, I actually like the marked up cheaper ones better, they're so interesting to read and I love the penmanship, all the old books I have have lovely penmanship in them.

You could also try M.K. Henry's Words, it combines vocab with spelling, it used to be expensive at Amazon but they now have it for $15!