Menu

Anyone been lccing for years or since the early years.

elfinbaby

My logical side believes in the LCC less is more theory. My crazy side tells me that I have to do it all - which leaves me in a mess or not meeting my own expectations because I'm driving myself into a tizzy. I want order and simplicity. We've had a rough start this year (it's my 4th yr. hsing btw). We've had illness, ER visits (5 in 4 wks w/seizures), and a wee one that makes things so hard to accomplish.

I'm beating myself up about not getting things done but that's not why I'm asking about LCC. I've researched and read the book. It really spoke to me but I'm scared. That crazy side or the side of me that loves so many different curriculums won't loose it's hold!

It's been a tough semester and I know I can school whenever but, just for a little while, I wish that things would go according to the plans I laid out. The inconsistency is not conducive to learning.

My year has been rough, too; we're dealing with seizures here too. LCC makes school easier to do. I know what the priorities are. Since focusing on Latin and math was already my plan, I feel no guilt about dropping formal history and just letting the kids read the history books that they pick up out of interest.

This year I have a kid who is six going on seven. We have attempted LCC since he was four going on five. We failed to implement a truly LCC approach until this year, but the years of practice sure helped me follow my plan this year even through all the crazy disruptions. And he knows the drill: read, narrate, a different subject each day, plus Latin, math, piano. That he knows what to expect helps a lot. I think you're right that inconsistency is not conducive to learning. Things are more or less impossible with my 12yo right now. I've taught him using every method, I think.

This is our 2nd year utilizing LCC. 1st-3rd we did Abeka, 4th Eclectic. I loved getting out of the box, but I overloaded 4th and spent more time telling ds to hurry up so we could move onto the next subject. :glare:

For 5th and now 6th LCC has been like a breath of fresh air in our day. We tweak a little because ds is very interested in science, but having our core subjects of Latin, Math, and Comp allows him time to explore and experiment.

I still have to restrain myself from adding too much. When I feel that way I pull out LCC and read it again. I wish I had found this educational model sooner.

We're on our 2nd year of using LCC schedules (the first year was more hit or miss as we (OK, I) figured things out). I'm currently teaching an 8 yo & a 6 yo and wrangling a 4 yo & 2 yo. My kids always do Math, Latin (just the 8 yo), Phonics (6 yo)/Independant Reading (8 yo), Handwriting (6yo)/Composition (8 yo), and Piano. History, Science, Geography, and Literature are done 1x/week.

Dh and I have found that if we do nothing else but the daily work, we've accomplished quite a bit. The daily work really doesn't take us that long, usually 3 hours total for the 2 kids. The weekly work is generally another 30 minutes to 1 hour (depending on if we do a project or science experiment that day) and done after the mandatory, non-negotiable rest time. We also school year round and don't feel the need to complete any text/level in an artificial timeframe.

We've found LCC to be very liberating schedule wise. The other benefits are great as well.

LCC has been like a breath of fresh air in our day.

I still have to restrain myself from adding too much. When I feel that way I pull out LCC and read it again. I wish I had found this educational model sooner.

:iagree: This is our first year doing LCC -- I keep my copy of LCC handy so when I feel as if I am going to 'stray,' I can re-read and remind myself of the path on which I should stay. LCC HAS curbed my inability to be faithful to one particular curriculum.

I sort of did LCC our first two years b/c I let the kids spent way too much time in outside activities. However, every day they did math and Latin and usually something else easy like SOTW or spelling. Their extracurriculars were things like a Shakespeare class, movie making or choir. A total hodgepodge. This year we're much more eclectic and we all like staying home more. We do go outside the home for CC but that's it. The first part of our day is reading, catechism, Latin and math. Even the kindergartner does SSL. I'd love to quit after that, but can't seem to trust myself and follow the less is more approach. Like you, it really speaks to me, but I'm not there yet either. My kids tested really well after their first two years of doing hs'ing (2d and 4th) w/the LCC focus.

Laura

Thanks for the replies. They are very encouraging. I am so discouraged in general right now (for various reasons) about hsing. We're literally walking in place here. I know that if we just did LCC basics everyday we'd be accomplishing more with less stress than we are now so why am I scared?? Why?! Blech, I have to get over myself;)

I'm really just more WTM than LCC (I like the book but it's just not for me, if that makes sense) but I have a son with a seizure disorder that we're having trouble controlling so I just wanted to offer you some support. It's so frustrating, isn't it? :hug:

You don't need to get married to a curriculum to use it. If you're spinning your wheels (we did that all last school year and, even though they learned regardless, it seems like it was just a really 'blah' year) why not just try it out for now? If things aren't working you can switch back to a more structured curriculum when you feel like things are more stable. Several months or even a school year isn't going to make that big of a difference in the grand scheme of an education and it might be exactly what you need right now. If not, no harm. It'll work itself out. There's certainly nothing that must be learned at, say, six years seven months that can't be learned at seven years two months. :)

Edited by Sasha

Thanks for the replies. They are very encouraging. I am so discouraged in general right now (for various reasons) about hsing. We're literally walking in place here. I know that if we just did LCC basics everyday we'd be accomplishing more with less stress than we are now so why am I scared?? Why?! Blech, I have to get over myself;)

THAT was me!!!!! (Your words in red!!!!! - me, me, me)

I don't know why I was so scared, either - I mean, if I tried it for a week or two and it wasn't for us, well, I felt like we were walking in place anyway (your analogy - a good one) so we really would not have lost any time. BUT, there was something about it that made sense to me -- and as a former classroom teacher who was always going NUTS racing through the ABEKA curriculum binder with anywhere from 5 to 16 kids, LCC really appealed to me. EVEN ON THE DAYS WHEN I DON'T FEEL LIKE WE HAVE DONE MUCH -- WE HAVE!!!! My kids are getting a more in-depth education and understanding of what I am presenting -- THEY are wrapping their brains around it -- that's what I want.

HTH!:001_smile: