Menu

Talk to me about microfiber

We are planning to buy a new couch, actually the first one ever since we've been together (almost 11 years).

The one I like has microfiber cushions. Is this good, bad? I don't know much about furniture, we lived on a boat for 7 years. How does it hold up with kids? Tell me anything you think I need to know including your experiences with microfiber.

Thanks!

We are planning to buy a new couch, actually the first one ever since we've been together (almost 11 years).

The one I like has microfiber cushions. Is this good, bad? I don't know much about furniture, we lived on a boat for 7 years. How does it hold up with kids? Tell me anything you think I need to know including your experiences with microfiber.

Thanks!

It seems odd to me that the couch cushions would be made of microfiber. I am only familiar with microfiber in cleaning pads, mop covers, etc. It is supposed to attract dust and dirt. I must be having something wrong here. They would not make couch covers by this material, would they?

Perhaps someone else can enlighten us both.

Thanks!

We got a microfiber couch and loveseat a couple of years ago and are really pleased with it. You can see a picture here (scroll down a bit).

It still looks new, even with 5 boys. It's super easy to clean.

We were going to go with leather, but the salesman told us to go with microfiber with kids. Considering he would've gotten a bigger commission if we went with leather, I trusted his opinion, and have been very pleased.

Edited by JudoMom

It seems odd to me that the couch cushions would be made of microfiber. I am only familiar with microfiber in cleaning pads, mop covers, etc. It is supposed to attract dust and dirt. I must be having something wrong here. They would not make couch covers by this material, would they?

Perhaps someone else can enlighten us both.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5: I'm sorry. I know your question is a sincere one, and actually a VERY good one, but it just struck me. :D Microfiber is EXCELLENT to clean with, but they also make upholstery with it.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE microfiber!!! I wish they'd start to make cars with microfiber inside! I'm starting to HATE leather. It's so cheap these days, and it's not good with multiple animals. Most of the leather is painted on and we bought a $3500 sectional where the paint wore off and the body oils made it look AWFUL. I've had other leather couches and the leather these days is THIN and junky. Many stores sell leather mixes and don't tell you. (Ashly does this.) Microfiber is, in my opinion, the most durable thing out there. I thought ink was the only thing you couldn't get out of it, but apparently you can. I love the HUGE color selection. We have a salsa red sectional that's five years old now and the material is just like new. When the arm rests start to look dirty, a very diluted soap/water solution takes it out. We use our sectional daily and heavily and the material looks brand new. I LOVE that pet hair, even cat hair, doesn't penetrate it. I vacuum it off about once per week as we have 3 cats and 3 dogs. Their hair flies up on it and vacuums off easily. We have 6 people in our family, two teen boys. This material is GOOD STUFF. Your couch itself will wear out before the material does.

I'm a HUGE fan of microfiber and unless dh insists on a couple of leather pieces to contrast the sectional (time to replace the recliners we bought at the same time as the sectional) I will always stick with microfiber. Unless they come out with something better. :001_smile:

I've seen the mix couches, microfiber cushions/leather bottom, and think they're REALLY pretty.

Good luck!

We have chocolate brown microfiber furniture from Lazy Boy. As others have said, it cleans very easily. It's also very easy to tell when something is on it....like where a kid rubbed his snotty nose! Of course, it cleans right up with a wet washcloth. I've heard that mustard doesn't come out of microfiber. I don't have any experience with that, but just thought I'd throw that out there in case you envision yourself eating a mustard soaked hotdog while sitting on your new microfiber sofa!

I am trying to get a couch cover. How is it with Persian cats?

at the furniture store I was told absolutely NO fur would penetrate microfiber. I have come down a few times in the morning to find a cat on the couch but I have to say, NO fur stays on the couch after I vacuum it.

I also have one of those rubber carpet brushes and it works well.

at the furniture store I was told absolutely NO fur would penetrate microfiber. I have come down a few times in the morning to find a cat on the couch but I have to say, NO fur stays on the couch after I vacuum it.

I also have one of those rubber carpet brushes and it works well.

I've got 2 American Eskimo dogs, and while they aren't allowed on the couch, their fur doesn't stick. They rub up against it and there isn't leftover fur. They rub up against my recliner and it looks like a small animal is living on it.