Menu

Are outside academic classes essential?

txmom23

We've participated in three different co-ops; two of them 2 days and this year 1 day a week. We've enjoyed them all and also learned from them, but being gone and doing homework for the "co-op" classes starts to take over the whole week.

The kids and I would like to come home and stay home. But, I struggle with the guilty, thinking about all of the good things that come from outside academic classes.

I compare co-op classes to an itchy sweater. I may benefit from the warmth and look good wearing it, but it's still an uncomfortable itchy distraction.

What do you all think?

I struggle with this as well. While I feel like it's good for dd to learn from different teachers from time to time, and to have experience in a group setting, it can often feel distracting from our "main" work. We participate in three different outside programs altogether, which really starts to add up, time wise.

OTOH, I do have weak areas, and it gives her an opportunity to socialize as well as get "better" instruction in those areas. We're trying to find a balance here, as well.

This is our first year to join one, and it is only one day a week. I would not be interested in a 2 day a week one, unless they were using my exact same curriculum. Then it could possibly save me some effort. But what are the chances they are going to cover exactly what I want, and do it the way I want them to??

I do not use ours for academics. My girls are young, and I chose classes that are fun, yet educational for them. They attend a music class, which is enough formal music for my Ker, along w/sing alongs at home. But I still have my 2nd grader do a little more music at home. The rest of the classes are more extracurricular stuff. One is basically a book club type class for my 2nd grader, where they read and discuss and do activities on a book series. And one for my Ker is like that also. Kind of like a weekly storytime w/activities. Then they get their P.E. and one extra each (Bible for one, sign language for the other...)

This is all stuff I have done at home in the past, so it does free me up a little to not be doing sign language at home, and less music. It gives them a day to look forward to being with their friends, and packing their lunches, and playing on breaks and at the playground afterwards. At this age, this is all I am looking for.

It does cut out some of our field trips, as we used to do 4 day weeks and have a free 5th day. Now we must get our work done on those 4 days, and we have less mid week field trips. But I think they are happier this year, and really look forward weekly to it.

No, I don't think they are essential, and I like the itchy sweater analogy! For us, the transportation time alone was a big factor. I work from home as well as managing our homeschooling efforts. The disruption in our day and time going to and fro didn't really justify it for us. I feel like I already have the academic preparation pretty well under control. We just do the occasional outside class for art and elective types of things.

I don't think they are necessary unless you have a kid that really needs a lot of social interaction, or if there is something they need academically that for whatever reason you can't provide at home.

We do a one day a week thing and it is all I can handle. Love the itchy sweater analogy too! :001_smile: It's for our particular religious instruction, music and gym. Just fun extra stuff, and a chance for us to be part of a community of folks that are a support to us in this homeschooling way of life. Good, clean socialization for the kids is an extra bonus.

I also think there may be times in our life when we just stop for a while, to give everyone a break from the itchy sweater. :tongue_smilie: