Menu

Struggling writer curriculum?

kristinatucker

Anyone able to suggest a curriculum for writing for a boy that dosent have a ton of imagination, struggles with reading and spelling, and dosent like to write??

See my dilema?? His reading has improved by leaps and bounds this year so its really a matter of getting the writing and spelling to click. He is in 4th grade but working on 3rd grade reading/language arts.

I was thinking about writing strands level 2 and 3? Any opinions?

If you have something to suggest, let me know! :)

My ds9 is in the exact same boat. We're using WWE2 and AAS2. He'll finish up AAS2 soon and will be ready for AAS3 in January. His speech therapist is using something called Story Grammar with him during his sessions. I looked at it but it's priced for public school settings, meaning it's out of my price range! http://storygrammarmarker.com/

I'd focus on copywork and dictation for awhile. TWTM explains how those work, WWE will hold your hand through it.

When he's on his feet running, Classical Writing: Aesop will let him learn writing skills while rewriting stories written by others. CW has been great for my boy who thought he wasn't proficient enough to write any sort of story. His grew some confidence, and his creativity blossomed shortly thereafter.

Two of my kids have diagnosed writing disabilities.

My 13 yo uses Classical Writing and my 8 yo uses Writing With Ease. Both of these curricula give very clear instructions and expectations. Writing Strands, otoh, gives writing projects without step by step instructions. I wouldn't recommend it for a kid who struggles with writing.

Either via a program like WWE or done with your own materials. Once he can complete a decent written narration of about a paragraph, then he's ready for a more structured program like Wordsmith, Writing Strands or IEW.

The narration should use complete sentences with decent grammar usage, punctuation, and spelling - not perfect, just good.

I tell you, I am a recovering "traditional" writing person. When I first ventured out into the classical style of instruction, I didn't feel like it was enough. You know, the "write one sentence from dictation on some days thing." But, I like and trust the opinions of SWB, and so, reluctantly purchased Writing With Ease II in August. To my surprise, my daughter's writing abilities have greatly improved. It goes very slow, and the child is mainly focusing on :

1. What a correctly structured sentence looks like.

2. Using that as a model to copy, incorporating lessons on why there are commas there, why certain words are capitalized, etc.

3. Using that same model to read orally to the student, while they write it from dictation(which is a skill that I am slowly learning to appreciate).

4. The student's learning to summarize passages that have just been read to him or her, which prepares them for future paper writing.

I am sold on this method, and truly believe that a struggling writer would benefit greatly from this program.

OK, there are my 2 cents, for what it is worth.