Menu

Could anyone familiar with Singapore Math

Marie in Oh

I heard that in Singapore, the students do not usually start 1A until they are 7yrs. old (roughly 2nd grade) so the numbers do not correspond to our grade level system here in the US. My ds8 is almost through 1B but he is a bit slower with math. My ds9 was almost finished 3A last year at the end of 3rd grade.

I heard that in Singapore, the students do not usually start 1A until they are 7yrs. old (roughly 2nd grade) so the numbers do not correspond to our grade level system here in the US. My ds8 is almost through 1B but he is a bit slower with math. My ds9 was almost finished 3A last year at the end of 3rd grade.

I think it depends on when you start your child with school. My ds is almost 7 b/c he has a Dec. birthday so he is doing 1st grade now and working through 1A. We did do the Earlybird series before 1A. We started Earlybird this summer and I am glad we did the 2a/2b Earlybird Kindergarten series before moving to 1A.

Having had kids in public school, I think the main difference is that the theory of multiplication and division is introduced in 1a/1b. It is done again in 2a/2b and 3a/3b. But here in US, multiplication and division concepts aren't really introduced until 3rd grade in the public school system. So I would say that is the main difference that I see.

Hi Marie -

We just switched my third grader (Young 8 year old) over to Singapore from MUS. He had been half way through Alpha and tested into 2A in Singapore. On the other hand, my first grader (just turned 6) had completed Primer and I started him in 1A with no problems. My Father's World recommends waiting until second grade for 1A but Abe is a bit advanced in math (or at least seems to be some days - LOL) so I decided to try it - so far so good.

Edited by JanOH
can't type for the life of me.

I heard that in Singapore, the students do not usually start 1A until they are 7yrs. old (roughly 2nd grade) so the numbers do not correspond to our grade level system here in the US.

I know this is widely quoted, but if you go to the Ministry of Education website (or their FAQ which goes on about exemptions), the kids are really the exact same age as US kids starting first grade -- already six but not yet seven.

However, because Singapore starts Algebra in 7th grade, and at the end of 10th grade the math is approximately what US kids would get in high school... at some point they are something like 2 years ahead. I don't know if a direct comparison can really be drawn at any point, though, since the scope and sequences are so different.

I know this is widely quoted, but if you go to the Ministry of Education website (or their FAQ which goes on about exemptions), the kids are really the exact same age as US kids starting first grade -- already six but not yet seven.

However, because Singapore starts Algebra in 7th grade, and at the end of 10th grade the math is approximately what US kids would get in high school... at some point they are something like 2 years ahead. I don't know if a direct comparison can really be drawn at any point, though, since the scope and sequences are so different.

I think the second paragraph is key. My son finished 6B in 7th grade, which included introductory (or pre-) algebra. He went to algebra in 8th. So doing singapore levels "one number behind" his grade seemed to be right on target for us.

Julie

like 2A, 2B correspond with a more traditional 3rd grade, 3 A, 3 B would be 4th, etc. Is this correct? I am not sure if I agree completely, but I ask because my just turned 6 yo (Sept) is midway through 1B, my just turned 8 yo is 1/2 way through 3 A and my 10 yo is in 4B. Are they on target, above, etc. We just switched this year from MUS so I am trying to get my bearings. DD 6 is pretty mathy and she hasn't struggled at all. DD 8 is pretty mathy and is getting long division a whole year ahead of her older sibs. What am I asking? I don't know, just trying to think things through a bit. THanks.

Edited by Marie in Oh

I keep hearing that Singapore is a year ahead, but maybe since it's all we've ever used, I don't notice that to be true...

My older two did Singapore 1A when they were 5 (took a whole year) and Singapore 1B when they were 6 (another year), and since then have been right on with the number matching their grade (doing 6a/b now in 6th).

My youngest is 8 and would be in 3rd if she were in public school, but is doing 4a/b this year.

I'm planning to do a year of Singapore's Discovering Mathematics before dumping them into full-on Algebra, though.

Are the California schools using the new Standards Edition a year behind?? I'm kinda doubting it...

I'd suggest that PM 1 -6 covers US Maths 1st gr through preAlgebra. So, perhaps US Math 1-7. I.e., I think many kids could go straight from PM6 to Algebra, if desired. Personally, I don't desire this. ;) So, we do some sort of preAlgebra in between PM6 & Algebra.

My kids start PM1 by K. I can't see why someone would need to wait until 2nd grade for PM1. That'd be kinda nuts, IMHO. All 3 of my dc have been well into 2B or 3A by the end of 1st grade. It's just not that hard, lol. (DD7/1st gr does math for an avg of 15 min a day 5 days a week. . . She's midway through 2B. . . It *really* is not that hard, lol!)

I didn't read the other comments but I'll put in my 2 cents...seeing as I just pulled my 2 kids out of a PS with a strong math program. The ps used Harcourt (heavily supplemented) which just barely touches on multiplication in the last few pages of the book for 2nd grade. Mostly, as far as core math, they focussed on regrouping in 2nd grade. This is all covered in Singapore 2A as well as more multiplication than the ps covered. However some topics like fractions aren't covered until 2B...so my feeling is that on average Singapore is about 1 marking period ahead of our ps's curriculum, at least in grades 1-3. Brownie

I'd have to disagree about it being at the same level. There are parts of it that are but they do extend some of the concepts which are traditionally taught in a higher grade level. For example, my dd is doing 2a. She has just finished doing addition and subtraction with regrouping to the hundred's(751-378).This is not grade 2 level. What is traditionally done in gr. 2 is +/- with regrouping with tens. This is also done at the beginning of the year and not at the end, where it is more commonly found (in my experience).

I've also found the same thing with my other dd who is in 4a. The same level of work in fractions is done in 5th and 6th grades, when I looked at a supplementary workbook that follows provincial standards.

BTW, I'm not meaning to jump on the person who disagreed. We can all have our opinions.:001_smile: I will add that I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect the level of proficiency that SM does and mine are on the younger side for their grade.

HTH

BTW, I'm not meaning to jump on the person who disagreed. We can all have our opinions.:001_smile: I will add that I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect the level of proficiency that SM does and mine are on the younger side for their grade.

HTH

It's just that it's not a matter of "opinion." Primary Math SE is written to meet CA Standards for grade level. We happen to be using 1A for kindergarten math (at home), for others it might be better used later.

But the 1A/1B materials are for intended for public school use in First Grade.

Bill

I think that the older editions did tend to be a year ahead. When the US editions were created, I'm not sure if they were changed or not. They don't seem to be that different to me than the older editions. I believe the California editions were changed to make them on grade level. So I guess it might depend on what what edition you plan to use. Why don't you ask at their forum?

I think that the older editions did tend to be a year ahead. When the US editions were created, I'm not sure if they were changed or not. They don't seem to be that different to me than the older editions. I believe the California editions were changed to make them on grade level. So I guess it might depend on what what edition you plan to use. Why don't you ask at their forum?

The Standards Edition is more rigorous than the US Edition. So if anything the SE is more advanced. The CA math standards are considered the top in the nation, so they may be more advanced than the math programs used in public schools in other states. I don't know.

But they are certainly grade level here. And they are not (relative to the US Edition) an "easier" program.

Bill

I

But the 1A/1B materials are for intended for public school use in First Grade.

Bill

So the SE 2A doesn't have the three digit, regrouping subtraction? Or is that part of the standards of CA? In my area, public school doesn't do this, and my non-SE does, and right off the bat, too.

California standards for grade two say, "Find the sum or difference of two whole numbers up to three digits long." It doesn't specify whether re-grouping and renaming are covered.

I use the SE of SM and they are taught in 2A chs 4&5.

ETA- Though they don't seem to mention regrouping and renaming, everything else in the standards edition lines up with California standards.

Edited by Blessedfamily

We're in 2A, we did our first lesson of regrouping w/ addition today, we're using Standards edition. It goes to 3 digit addition w/ regrouping and 3 digit subtraction w/ regrouping.

BTW, they have taught the mental math so well that it was a pain to convince my daughter that it was easier to regroup, I had to add 999,999,999 + 888,888,888 to convince her, and she was still mildly skeptical. (She did her work with regrouping, only a few occasional sighs as she wrote down all those "unnecessary" 1's.)

give me a rough idea of what they think the grade equivalencies of the Elementary series is, meaning, are 2 A and 2 B the same as second grade in other curriculum, etc. I know it isn't a perfect comparison as SM is so different, but I just would like a rough estimate. Thanks.

I don't even start Singapore Primary till my kids hit 2nd grade, so we do it a grade behind on purpose. I want it to be done independently, with Right Start being our main program.

Heather