Menu

Can you list your favorite "living" picture books, or is there a list somewhere?

HappyGrace

I'm taking about picture books like "Snowflake Bentley" or "How a Book is Made" (by Aliki)-they are very educational but engaging.

This would be to read to a 1st grader. With older dd I used to look for hours through the library stacks; not as much time for that with second ds now! There must be a list somewhere?

The lists from Five in a Row include a lot of books that would fit this description.

Also, while I'm not generally a fan of plugging kids in front of the tv and calling it "educational", Reading Rainbow featured many wonderful picture books like that over the years, along with introductions to the people, places, things, events, animals, etc that might make those books come alive. Perhaps your local PBS station still carries Reading Rainbow, or your library might have the dvds? Each episode focuses on one book, then suggests three more from other genres that somehow relate to the central topic.

I don't know of a list per se, but I have a highly visual learner and have found the Winter Promise, Heart of Dakota, and Sonlight catalogs helpful. I look up the particular title on amazon and view some of the pages to determine if it's suitable or not.

Would love to find a list though! :bigear:

Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt and Jim Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook both have good lists of picture books. I got these from my library and check them out whenever I need more direction on our reading list.

I also use 1000 Good Books and Ambleside Online's year 0 list. I have these and a couple of other linked on my blog too.