Menu

Alternative for MFW Adventures

Polly

We're enjoying WinterPromise American Story. But the American Crossing program could may be more on target? American Story has a little more to it and you can add in extensions. Anyway, check out Winterpromise's US History programs. It contains many activities to pick and choose from.

I also agree with the PP's idea of HOD's Bigger.

Is there anything similar to MFW Adventures that is more appropriate for a 4th grader?

Thanks!

MFW's EX1850 would be similar. Generally it's not the starting place into MFW. But designed for grades 4-8 with younger sib supplements that come from ADV.

You sure wouldn't expect a 4th grader who is the oldest to do everything in it. But it would be similar to ADV but for older kids. maybe not the right program to use though. I don't usually suggest it to others as a jump into MFW at this program when you have a 4th grader as oldest. But you never know.

-crystal

Guest Cindie2dds
We've already used Bigger. I want something that talks about the events of American History so he has a better feel for Am. History. Beyond is too basic.

Have you looked at Beautiful Feet intermediate? We have their primary guide and like it, but we're not doing American History this year.

I guess I should have that I will have a Kindergartner. I really want to combine them. I thought Adventures would be perfect for that and just add more in for my 4th grader. Recently I was able to borrow a friend of mines manual and I think it's WAY TOO easy for my 4th grader. It would work for my K'er. I'm trying to find another option that I will allow me to use it for both of them. MFW EX1850 wouldn't work for that and I want it to be just one year of Am. history.

I should have stated that to begin with. Sorry!

The abeka4 textbook is actually a very fine survey of american for that age. You could use it as your spine and flesh it out with activities, books from the popular lists (SL, WP, MFW, etc.) and have a great year. It's definitely good enough to consider. It's pretty light on 20th century, but you could either expand that or go just let it be light. That would get you through the entirety of american in a year.

WP AS would be iffy for a 4th grader. Guess it depends on the kid. We started american last year, and among other things I got the WP AC1 stuff. It uses TT as a spine. Personally, I think you could be just as happy just getting TT and doing them, at your own pace, as you wish, and tossing the WP ig and everything else out the window. I got the WP ig because I had a new baby and was sort of melting down. Sometimes it was helpful and sometimes it was cumbersome. Basically the WP people have never taught the stuff. So their schedule is no better than anything you could make yourself, kwim? But if you wouldn't make it yourself, if it makes you feel better, sure, get it. But I suggest simply buying the TT cd's and the printouts WP sells and being done with it. Then you can add in library books, etc. as you wish.

The TT stuff is a lot of papercrafting, but some kids really get into that. My dd enjoyed it for a while and then got weary of it, but then she's never been one to color. On the TT website you can see the things you make with each cd to determine if it would be a good fit. You have text and then accompanying projects. It really is its whole own curriculum, nothing else needed. I think if you did those straight you'd have a lot of fun.

I'd probably teach to your 4th grader and let the K5er tag along with picture books and whatnot. You could pick an age-appropriate spine to read aloud for him. The Rainbow Book of American History is wonderful, and Eggleston has some lower books that are nice. Just depends on what flavor you like. And for your 4th grader, by all means make sure they've had a chance to read some of the COFA's (Childhood of Famous Americans) series.