Menu

How do you take care of yourself??

I'm not going into the whole story. Those of you who read the high school board know some of the stress we've been under. Two of the most stressful things have been 1. a very sick high school senior, and 2. very little money to make ends meet. (I rejoiced over a 50 cent diet coke yesterday!)

I am really, really , really tired. I know that I MUST let all this stress GO, and get on with life. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks and really do NOT want to take a complete break from school now.

I have to get back to taking care of myself:

eating right, getting some exercise, having a quiet time/daily devotions.

I can't spend a single penny. NOR can I drive to town.

Right now I'm having a cup of tea, but I think I "need" more than that.

If you couldn't spend any money or go anywhere, what would you do to relax, let stress go, and take care of yourself??

Thanks,

Pam

Edited by Pam L in Mid Tenn
left out a word

1. Music: Have music on in the background - instrumental, inspirational- something positive & meaningful. Music instantly alters the atmosphere in a house/room.

2. Create a spa bath for yourself- grab candles from around the house, music, scented bath soap etc. and take 30 minutes in the dark to just 'be'.

3. Practice deep relaxation breathing techniques- breath in thru the nose, forcefully out thru the mouth. Also, body relaxation- laying on your bed and focusing on relaxing all the muscles in a certain part of your body- can start w/ feet or head, and after all the tension/strain is gone, move on. Very helpful.

4. Vitamins/Supplements- make sure you are getting the nutrients that you need. If you have them in the house, take them.

5. Have a friend over for coffee/tea- something out of the ordinary.

6. Find something that makes you laugh- a TV show, watching children play, and live in that moment. Laughter is free, relaxes the body and releases endorphins.

7. Make a list of 10 things you are thankful for without allowing your mind to detour to what is stressful/difficult right now.

8. Sunlight- try to get at least 30 minutes of sunshine everyday when possible.

9. Be reminded that its a journey and you won't find yourself 'refreshed or renewed' in a single day, or single week- small steps toward health & healing are difficult, but absolutely essential.

10. Find one thing that brings you joy and do it- reading a book, knitting, taking a walk, baking, painting, writing, organizing...

:grouphug:

Laura

Music and candles do wonders for me when I need to feel luxurious and pampered. Also, when I can get my hands on great lotions it's wonderful treat for me!

I think the one thing that I do to really take care of myself is to make sure that I have a little bit of time each day alone. Sometimes it's before anyone else wakes up. Sometimes it's at night after everyone else is in bed. If it happens to be in the afternoon, I will go up to my room and lock my door and just have quiet time to myself after I make sure all is well and under control with the rest of the family.

I always carve some time out of the day for myself. I'll knit while the kids are at swimming lessons. I'll declare 30 minutes of quiet time in the afternoon and read. I've been renting TV series from Netflix and watch a show every few evenings, just to unwind from the day. I'm usually up 30 minutes before the kids, so I shower, get dressed and then sit on the porch with a cup of tea.

I also make sure I exercise every day. At the beginning of the school year, we started walking after math and just before lunch. Our walks are usually about 30 minutes and the kids are usually chattering at me the whole time, but if we miss our walk, I feel cranky the rest of the day.

I've started going to bed at 11pm. I'm a night owl by nature and would be up half the night, then try to get up at 6:30 or 7:00. It's made a big difference in how I feel during the day - less stressed and my memory is better.

I find it's much easier to take care of my family when I'm well-rested, eating healthy and making time for myself a priority.

You've received some excellent advice already. We had a lot of stress this summer. I checked out 'fluff' books from the library, and had an enjoyment-only reading policy. :-) I also tried to go for a walk every day. Even if I could only find 15 minutes, I could feel good about accomplishing something for my mental and physical health. And the fresh air and sunlight almost always helped my mood. Making time to feed myself, silly as that sounds, is huge, too.

Just a walk in the woods. It costs nothing and does a lot to lift the spirits. Even when they weather is bad, it seems to be good to just get outside for part of everyday, and to do it alone (but for me, with the dog). Unless it is pouring rain, this is what I do when I am down in the dumps but can't spend any money.

Free: fresh air and vigorous exercise.

Cheap and fun: a good book from the library (I love the crinkly sound of plastic library wrap on a good hardcover book) and an hour alone at Starbucks with a good cuppa.

Not cheap and fun: a nice spritz of my favorite perfume and a lather of my favorite splurgy lotion from Philosophy (right now, Baby Grace scent)

I've learned that even when it's horrible out, if I make myself take the dog out on a decent long walk-about a half our at least-I get a total reframe on the day.

And I second the library book thing. Read for YOUR pleasure. Take that hour a day (or more?) and just relax and read.

Reading fiction has gotten me through some of the worst times of my life.

1) Definitely time at the library where I come home w/ a huge stack of books for me plus magazines that are strictly for fun.

2) Something nice smelling in the air. I have a dog so when the house smells beautiful it's really a treat for me.

3) Walking stinky dog and seeing the fall colors.

4) Time alone. Dh takes the kids to the park and I get time to putter around the house.

5) Best combo: time alone, walk dog, long bath, color hair, putter in house, read. ;)

This is a struggle for me as well, as our $$$ situation gets worse and worse.

1. I sit outside. Just sit, maybe with a glass of water or coffee, and look at the trees.

2. Walks at night.

3. We have have an Adoration Chapel (small, quiet prayer chapel) at our church. I have 2 hours scheduled there a week, and try to go more. I just sit, pray, write, read. If you don't have a church that's open, find a Catholic church with an adoration chapel. You don't have to believe....no quizzes at the door. It's just a quiet place to sit and they are open all day, sometimes 24 hours.

I don't really do much, to tell the truth. There are some really great ideas in this thread, though. One thing that always makes me happy, however, is to put on a pair of comfy jeans and a shirt I actually look good in, my favorite shoes and go to Barnes and Noble. The smell alone in there makes me happy. I browse through the books, find a few interesting ones (cookbooks make me happy :)), locate a big comfy chair and relax, browsing through the books I'll probably just check out from the library on another day if I'm too broke to buy them. I also like to read the gossip mags - my life always seems so much better and less complicated when I'm done with those!

Is there a really good friend who can come visit weekly? Maybe do some crafts, or just sit and talk? I know, for me, I'm at home so much with the kids, but without DH, that alone time is not what I'm looking for. Time with a friend (a low maintenance one!) who really "gets" me does wonders.

If you couldn't spend any money or go anywhere, what would you do to relax, let stress go, and take care of yourself??

When things are really bad, I lie down for 5-10 minutes catnap/relaxation moments. If I can get something warm (husband, dog) to cuddle with me, very still, all's the better.

Thank you so much for all your responses!!! I think in the past I've done every single one of those suggestions. From yoga, relaxation, and deep breathing to walking the dog, having tea with a friend, and reading for pleasure. I've just been so busy taking care of everything and everyone else I had forgotten what to do for ME. :)

Our van broke down yesterday, 2 of the kids are sick (again), today was our last day of co-op, (I had to find a ride with another family), I had to figure out if we had enough $ to buy some OTC meds for the sick kids, etc etc etc.:tongue_smilie:

Right now, I'm cleaning house and doing laundry.( Well ... actually, I tired out with the cleaning and laundry and sat down to read WTM boards with a granola bar.. but I'm getting back to it now.) I've got a pumpkin candle burning and a cinnamon candle burning and I'm amazed at how the little flicker of light and wonderful aroma really DO help me relax.

I'm going to quickly finish the housework, change into some comfy yoga pants, and have a cup of tea using my china teapot and china cups!! If it stops raining, I'll try to take a walk (maybe :001_smile: )

Thank you everyone!:grouphug: