Menu

Need help from Vit. D3 experts

I started my whole family on D3 3 days ago. We have not had our levels checked and really can't until February. My husband changed jobs 2 weeks ago and we are without health coverage until Feb.

I had been doing some research on D3 and felt it might help us stay well over the winter. I am giving my children 1000IU per 25lbs. of body weight. My husband and I are taking 9000IU.

Overall I am feeling great. I don't know if it is just if it is just a placebo effect or if only 3 days of D3 could make me feel more energetic, but I do feel better.

The only problem is I feel very "dry". My throat especially feels so dry and really my whole being feels dried out, if that makes sense. I am getting over a little head cold so I blamed it on that yesterday, but it is even worse today.

My kids aren't complaining but when i asked my 11 year old he did say his throat is dry, of course, if you ask him if he saw the eagle that just hit the french doors he will claim he did, so he isn't the most reliable reporter!

I don't know, I am just a little worried. I have never used many supplements and I this dosage is so much more than the RDA on the bottle. Have you ever heard of D3 drying someone out?

I was taking D3 2000/day and had to stop. It was making my heart race and giving me heart palpitations. Mega multi vitamins did the same thing to me. I really don't understand why vitamins have this effect on me. :confused:

What you're taking and giving to your family seems like a lot so maybe talk with your Dr.

My nutritionist has not seen the children yet, but we are assuming they are low. Until they are checked, she only prescribed 1000 iu a day for them (ages 9, 11, 12). When they do get checked we will adjust accordingly. I tested very low, but am only taking 5000 iu a day. I will begin mega dose shots this Thursday though, so that is not really a reliabel comparison. I do feel more energetic (and know when I have missed a dose!). I also feel dry and had a scratchy throat, but we heat with a wood stove so assume that we just have seasonal dryness.

Maybe I will cut our dosages back and see how I feel.

I am so freaked out about not having health insurance I feel like I have to do something to keep us healthier. I am definitely going to have our levels checked when our coverage starts in Feb. but I keep picturing us all down with the flu and needing Dr. visits and ER visits. Yuck, it's depressing!

If you are taking vitamin D3 you must also take Calcium and Magnesium. A magnesium deficiency can make your heart race (for the pp who mentioned that). I would take a Cal-Mag supplement because they have a balanced ratio of Calcium and magnesium. You also need to balance your potassium - I do that by making sure I eat a banana every couple of days.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

For healthy adults (ie no parathyroid disease/kidney stones, no sarcoidosis) 9,000 IU per day should be perfectly safe. And for kids from ages 1 to 6 2000 IU per day (conservative level, very conservative) should be safe. If you're within those I'd keep doing it unless things get worse. I do use magnesium with vitamin D. You aren't raising levels that fast and you aren't giving enough to be too much. It is the best thing you can do for staying healthy. If it continues/worsens I guess you could do a break (or cut down to 5000) and see if things change. But I'd want to keep up the dosing if I could.

Sorry, I wasn't able to get back online yesterday. I skipped yesterdays dose and haven't taken today's yet. I do feel a little less dry, especially in my throat. I am going to resume the D3 and see what happens.

I am very interested in the Oil of Oregano from the little I have read about it. I think I will order some and give it a try.

NJKelli, do you have a probiotic you recommend? I gave my son one for a short while last summer but I can't remember which one.

I chose my probiotic after seeing a woman in the store go up to the refrigerated shelf and grab a bottle in a very determined way. I asked her about it, and she said she had started taking it a few months before and it made an incredible difference. She never told me what her initial problem was. I think it's called PB-8, or is it PB-18? It's not as expensive as some that I've seen. I had a lot of stomach trouble brought on by a monster virus in the spring. It took months to recover, but I think the probiotic helped the process.

I wonder if someone else has a good recommendation. I'd also like to know a good one for kids.

Cindy,

D3 comes in at least 2 forms that I know of.

There is vit d and vit d3. Additionally there are 2 sources for d3: fish and lanolin.

Fish is natural and lanolin is not.

In terms of doseage....there is sooooo much room for debate on this one.

Difference of opinions with: Dr. Weil, Dr. Oz, and many other people I've spoken with and articles I've read.

When in doubt, start with the lower doseage to assess how your system is handling it.

With the popularity of vit d3, the "experts" seem to be changing their opinions....perhaps as they learn more about it. Some say 1,000, 2,000, 4,000 and so on so gather the most like-minded opinions that have a common opinion.

My 10+ yo dd takes 800 mg a day and she is not in the deficit. And, we live in the south.

I am a little low and take 1,000 a day. I may jump start that again and take 2,000 for a short a couple of weeks then back off again.

HTH. Sheryl <><

Another post read probiotics. That would be good. The bottled ones would be processes. IF you can find natural/live keifer grains that would be best. I have them and make keifer water for my probiotic packed boost.

I am not sure what is "right" but if your body doesn't seem to be tolerating it comfortably, it may be because you don't need quite that much. My kids take 400IU of D3 per day. They have a bottle of these yummy things called "Sunny Gummies" and they are for kids ages 4 and up, recommended 1 gummy per day. I take 1000-2000 IU per day myself and haven't had any issues.

HOWEVER, now that someone mentioned the heartrate, it makes me wonder. I have lots of anxiety (and have been taking a lot of vitamins: a multi, 2000 Vit C, 2000 Vit D3, Potassium because mine is "eat a banana low," and I also take a curcumin (turmeric) capsule each day). I assumed the heart beating faster/harder thing was anxiety...maybe...not?

I have to tell you, this if the main reason why I have never been a big supplement taker. There is so much conflicting info out there and so many choices I tend to just get confused and say forget it.

Thanks for the probiotic info. I thought I remembered something about the refridgerated ones being better, I will have to check my health food store.

Jean,, I think I saw you post on another thread about taking Calcium and Magnesium with Vit. D3.

I am going to be placing an order at Vitacost soon and I wonder if this would be a good supplement to try. http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Calcium-Magnesium-Vitamin-D I don't know if the dosages of Calcium and Magnesium are okay or not.

If anyone knows of anything else I should look at ordering let me know.

I have to tell you, this if the main reason why I have never been a big supplement taker. There is so much conflicting info out there and so many choices I tend to just get confused and say forget it.

Thanks for the probiotic info. I thought I remembered something about the refridgerated ones being better, I will have to check my health food store.

Jean,, I think I saw you post on another thread about taking Calcium and Magnesium with Vit. D3.

I am going to be placing an order at Vitacost soon and I wonder if this would be a good supplement to try. http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Calcium-Magnesium-Vitamin-D I don't know if the dosages of Calcium and Magnesium are okay or not.

I'd like to know, too, since I'm running low on calcium and magnesium. I'm taking them seperately since I found a sale but I'd like to consolidate.:)

If you are going to place an order from vitacost and need a probiotic I would like to suggest this one

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Probiotic-15-35

I've been taking this probiotic for years (7-8) and at 35 billion it is quite effective. I remember when I was first searching for probiotics about 10 years ago and the news was then that non-refrigerated probiotics weren't as effective. I think that is less true now as manufacturers make better products. The vitacost one is definitely a good one.

I also take vit d3, calcuium/magnesium supplement (which I picked up from the local store instead of buying from vitacost) and EPA fish oils. I've been feeling pretty good lately. I noticed a definite increase in energy and suggested that dh take some and he noticed the same thing.

HOWEVER, now that someone mentioned the heartrate, it makes me wonder. I have lots of anxiety (and have been taking a lot of vitamins: a multi, 2000 Vit C, 2000 Vit D3, Potassium because mine is "eat a banana low," and I also take a curcumin (turmeric) capsule each day). I assumed the heart beating faster/harder thing was anxiety...maybe...not?

I went to the dr. today and had my d3 & b12 rechecked. She told me that for whatever reason I do not do well with supplements and suggested I stop taking them. They are synthetic so she recommend I really try and get what I can from food sources and the sun. She has other patients that can not tolerate them either. I have NEVER had heart racing & palpitations unless trying to take supplements so I'm done with them.

If you do decide to stop taking them because of anxiety, just know it does take about 3 weeks to get them out of your system. That's how long it was for me after stopping the mega multi early in the summer. I have been off the d3 for one week and the palpitations are getting less each day but not out of my system completely yet.:001_huh:

I am not sure what is "right" but if your body doesn't seem to be tolerating it comfortably, it may be because you don't need quite that much. My kids take 400IU of D3 per day. They have a bottle of these yummy things called "Sunny Gummies" and they are for kids ages 4 and up, recommended 1 gummy per day. I take 1000-2000 IU per day myself and haven't had any issues.

I think it's safe to assume it's anxiety but have you ever had your heart checked? I have. Some of my chest pains are so severe that I honestly think to myself, "This is it." I don't *feel* anxious but know I have anxiety now. When I was caring for my mother, one night she almost checked to death in front of me. It was so terrifying and I couldn't calm myself. I had called Hospice and told them, and they assured me she didn't choke. I knew she did. I was so afraid from that point on that I took some of HER anxiety medication because it was what my dr. had given me months earlier when my dad died. Well, I used to go to bed EVERY night with a pounding, racing heart but if I took an anxiety pill - NOTHING. So I talked to my dr. who cried in her office after hearing my story (the anniversary of her mother's death was approaching) and prescribed me the anxiety meds. I really want to go off them but the chest pains come back. I'm also on everything you mention.

I honestly didn't notice a difference when I took D3 but after not filling my vitamin containers for a week, I'm back on it as of today. I will let you know if I notice anything, although it's likely a very individual thing.

For your anxiety can I recommend you check into the David PAL 36? I bought one with the CNS (cranial nerve stimulation) after a therapist I was talking to to help my daughter told me that many moms of disruptive kids have anxiety. (although I can't blame it all on her!) She highly recommended CNS and I bought the machine knowing I had 30 days to return it. WOW. What a HUGE difference it made in my anxiety. You can read about it online, and it's audio/visual entrapment. I really need to start to use it again. The only drawback is that I need 45 minutes of time. It'd be easier to do if I'd leave the computer off. ;)