Menu

Elizabeth B, a question about Recipe for Reading

I have seen you mention this in two different posts, and I'm thinking of ordering this.

Background: My daughter is dyslexic, and we used the first two levels of the Language! curriculum (an OG method), based on the recommendation of our local Scottish Rite Learning Center, who diagnosed her. Language! is now in a 4th edition (we used the 2nd), and I tried and hated the newest edition, as did the learning center. So I'm kind of doing my own thing, based on what we did in levels 1 and 2, only we are working on more advanced phonics. My daughter reads at about 4th grade level with good comprehension and is in the 6th grade.

My question: Do you think Recipe for Reading would be beneficial to me, or should I keep the $25? We are also using REWARDS and info I've found on your page. (Thank you, by the way!)

If you took the time to read this, I thank you so much!

Kim

Kim-

I can't find my book. We moved 3 months ago, I knew where it was in Little Rock, but not here in Los Angeles!

From what I can remember, it's geared toward more of a beginning student, although I think there were a few multi-syllable words at the end.

Here is their sample, the sample page 3 (from page 14 of the manual) is typical of the early lessons, I think they got a bit more difficult but not much.

http://www.epsbooks.com/downloads/rtus/491M/rfr-sample_lesson.pdf

Lovedtodeath also has this book, and may be able to find hers! I'll keep looking.

Yes, I'm happy to report that we are way beyond the sample. It's been a long, hard road. We still have more work to do, and we will keep plugging away as we are. I'm always on the lookout, though, for something that will help me do a better job of teaching my daughter.

Thank you again for all the time you have put in helping struggling readers and the parents who are trying to teach them!

Kim

Yes' date=' I'm happy to report that we are way beyond the sample. It's been a long, hard road. We still have more work to do, and we will keep plugging away as we are. I'm always on the lookout, though, for something that will help me do a better job of teaching my daughter.

Thank you again for all the time you have put in helping struggling readers and the parents who are trying to teach them!

Kim[/quote']

You're welcome! I'm glad you're beyond that.

M.K. Henry's words may be motivational. It's not very incremental, but you could modify it that way, my older students are always so proud when they can read 3 to 5 syllable Greek and Latin words, they run to their parents and tell them excitedly after they work out of the book.

http://www.proedinc.com/customer/ProductView.aspx?ID=989&sSearchWord=words

Kim,

Please pardon my butting in, but I've got several more options for you to consider. First, I'll be up front: Most of these options are free, but I'll also recommend a website that I run, which costs. I have a dyslexic daugher myself (8 years old) and the system we use on our website took her from pre-reader to beginning 4th grade in a year.

OPTIONS:

1) See if your local library carries "Reading Rescue 1-2-3, by Peggy Wilber. 2) Check out her free website www.SucceedToRead.com. It has a lot of strategies that may be helpful. 3) Email info@WowzaBrain.com to schedule a free online Reading Screening for Grade Level. You'll get your daughter's reading checked online, by a reading pro, and you can gain some additional strategies for working through dyslexia. Finally, take a look at http://WowzaBrain.com. It costs $175 for 6 months, but this site was built for moms just like you. You get literally thousands of dollars of brain training and support for just $175. My daughter's the littler curly-haired girl on the home page.

You can check us out at the site, via email or by calling (719) 216-2170.

Derek