Menu

Puddling curtains? What sayeth the hive?

I bought curtains for the family room that are about six inches too long. There is a shorter version that I think would hit about half an inch to an inch above the carpet. I've read that puddling curtains are okay... however, everyone I seem to ask says "can't you just hem them a little?". For the record, I don't want to hem these. It would be much easier to return them for the right size.

I sorta like them like this... but I think I'm being heavily influenced by the idea of reboxing and returning them. I'm also wondering if I would be constantly annoyed by trying to get them to puddle "right"...

Thoughts???

Curtains puddled in the "old days" to show how wealthy a family was ("lookee me - I can afford to puddle my expensive fabrics on the floor - the servants will keep it all tidy"). I know that is not the case anymore - but if you have pets or small kids in the house, how much aggravation are you willing to put up with to keep those puddled curtains tidy? I'd hem them or exchange for the shorter ones.

I like my drapes in my formal living/dining room to puddle, because they stay open with sheers behind them.

My curtains in my family room and regular living areas just barely skim the floor and I don't like the look of puddling in a more casual environment, but that's just me.

If you like them, just keep them. It's your house. ;) Also, have you tried just hanging them a little higher up? When I had curtains that were way too long and I didn't' feel like hemming them, I just put the curtain rod a few inches higher and no one seemed the wiser.

Just a few suggestions. Maybe you could post a photo so we can see!

I had "puddling" curtains when we moved into this place (rental) ~ because the curtains the landlord had put up were too long... I never thought of them as "puddling" though -- all I thought was "these ugly curtains are way too big for this window" and took 'em down. I replaced them with curtains that dd12 and I made ~ pretty flannel ones with stars & moons & suns all over them. :D

I think they're great; my cheap Ikea curtains are "puddled". But they are dusty, and my dumb beagle lays on them and makes me worry the hold curtain rod is going to come crashing down.

My wealthy ex-SIL, MD., had silk curtains really, really puddled and it was gorgeous.

My interior decorator mom is on the phone with me now. She says "outdated and way too much work." I somewhat like the look of puddling but she calls my decorating style hopelessly out of style. :tongue_smilie:

Now people have them made to "bump" instead of puddle. The drapery maker makes them about 1 1/2" longer than required so they touch the floor and bend a tiny bit.

Maybe if I show you more, it will grow on you.:tongue_smilie:

I love this room.

http://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/decorating/home-restorations-00400000057590/page10.html

The window is higher in that room.

That room is too formal for me. :) I like things more simple and brighter colors.

Edited by Sis

Guest Cindie2dds

I love the look of puddling drapes and had them in my house, pre-kids. After kids, they were spiderweb dens. If I had a maid, I'd have puddling drapes. An inch short doesn't sound bad at all. Just enough room to sweep or vacuum under. :)

I have puddling curtains in my living area on three very large sliding glass doors that face out to the pool. They're beautiful.

Too bad both my Roomba and my Scooba run right up them and then beep piteously for help. So I tie a knot in them to get them off the floor. Since I Roomba and Scooba almost daily, they stay up in a knot most of the time. When company is coming, I try to let them out the day before, otherwise they have knot marks in them. Or I just leave them in a knot and make people wonder about me.

My next curtains won't puddle because I'm not willing to clean my own floors. If the hired help insist on climbing up my curtains, the curtains have to go!

Edited by tdeveson