Menu

Today is the 20th anniversary of the tearing down of the Berlin Wall

The process of the wall coming down took more than one day. However, today is the official day of the wall coming down. I read that it was today, 20 yrs ago that news reporters in Germany announced that the gate between East and West Germany was open.

http://news.aol.com/article/germany-remembers-fall-of-berlin-wall/757618?cid=12

ETA: I remember David Hasselhoff at the wall celebrating with the thousands of people. I was confused as to why he was there. I think he was a bigger celebrity in Europe at the time.

Edited by Pajama Mama

:party:

I remember trying to watch the footage on my roommate's tiny black-and-white TV in our dorm room.

It's funny about David Hasselhoff. I spent the summer of 1991 working in Switzerland and I was dumbfounded to find that he was a star over there--as a musician. Top 100 hits and everything. Who knew?

I was a foreign exchange student to Germany shortly before the wall came down. My papa had a brother who was in East Germany whom he hadn't seen for a while. This was such a momentous occasion for my family there. I'll never forget the phone call and the excitement in Mama and Papa's voices as they shared the news with me. It took me a long time to really get it through my head to call the country Germany and not East and West Germany.