Menu

40 lbs of chicken . . . Help!

I like to trim any fat, cut into reasonable portions and add marinade. Then, freeze and you have marinated chicken breasts for grilling later.

I also sliver the meat and put in a fajita marinade for quick fajitas.

Dice and cook up. Makes for easy addition to casseroles or pasta or a salad.

Cut bite size, bread and freeze on a tray for homemade chicken nuggets. When frozen, bag into meal sizes. Same for chicken fingers.

Those are off the top of my head things I do here. HTH!:001_smile:

What is JOC smothered chicken? I googled it, but nothing came up.

Joy of Cooking Smothered Chicken

heat oven to 350

4lbs chicken dredged in flour with salt/pepper/paprika to taste

brown in 1/4 C olive oil (or veggie oil)

Place in a casserole.

In the fat still in the frying pan, cook for 10 mintues on med heat

1 small sliced onion, 1 sliced clove of garlic, 4 chopped celery ribs and one medium sized carrot, sliced.

Spoon the veggies over the chicken, pour over 1.5 cup hot chicken stock and bake covered for 90 minutes or until tender.

I serve with rice, and there are never left-overs.

I have never tried it, but have heard raves from meat cooks about the very next recipe in the book: Persian chicken

4 lb chicken browned and almost done in a frying pan with butter or oil.

In an other pan (sauce pan) 2 T butter, saute until golden 1 finely chopped onion, add 1 C ground walnuts, stir, add 1/2 Cup pomegranate juice (or the juice of two lemons)

plus 2.25 cups chicken stock. Stir and heat until it starts to thicken, season to taste. It may need a teaspoon of sugar.

Add the chicken peices and simmer on low heat and covered for 30 minutes.

Edited by kalanamak

Poach it with salt/pepper/garlic and then cube it.

I do this, too, although I don't season the chicken at all. I do that when I prepare it later--it gives me flexibility. Use it for:

soups

chicken quesadillas

chicken salad

Asian chicken salad

chicken alfredo

tacos

The other thing I do is cut the uncooked chicken breasts down to 3-4 oz. sizes and freeze individually. I then transfer to freezer bags. The individual freezing of smaller portions cuts down on thawing time, and I use these in recipes where whole chicken breasts would be used--e.g. chicken parmesan

What about baking and cubing the cooked chicken, then freezing it in the appropriate portions for your family for chicken pot pies, adding to salads, making enchiladas, etc.

You can also can it if you have a pressure canner.

I am curious how you are coming by 40lb of chicken... sale or farmer special? I would like to get a good deal and stock up too!