Menu

Anyone using MCT for high school?

Anyone using MCT for high school? I have questions...

1. Usually grammar can be dropped by high school, but MCT really encourages continuing. Ds will have completed ML-1 and I'm wondering how important ML-2 or 3 have been to anyone using them?

2. Usually vocab is included in high school programs, from science through literature. Do those of you using WWW do this in addition to other vocab, or do you substitute?

3. And while I'm asking, do your kids really memorize 25 roots in WWW every single week? I'm dealing with a youngest child, you see, not an oldest! That book just seems so much more workbook-ish compared to the lovely CE. And I think it would really eat into the time my child spends on English, along with all the writing & literature.

4. Writing, too, is usually already included in most high school literature programs, not to mention history & other subjects, so do you exchange one assignment for another, or use Academic Writing to help with other high school writing assignments? Or are folks only using MCT materials for their high school English?

5. Do you add poetry to your language arts as you go through the high school years, or do you focus and complete a separate poetry credit?

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

My 10th grader using MCT materials.

I don't know yet if I'll have him do levels 2 and 3 of Magic Lens but he didn't have much formal grammar, so would benefit from all 3 levels. He really dislikes the vocabulary program, which surprised me because he likes words and roots, but he isn't interested in memorizing all those roots, and wishes there was more concrete direction and exercises. I didn't buy the separate workbook that ties all the components together -- I thought these materials made for good review on their own, and I wasn't looking for too much extra "busy work".

I just bought Vocabulary for the College bound student (or whatever it is called -- found it at Rainbow Resources). A large section of it is devoted to Latin and Greek roots. It is has concrete exercizes, but won't take lots of time away from all that other high school work. My ds already has an excellent vocabulary and scores high on standardized vocabulary tests, but I figured he could always use just a little more review before SATs.

I'm going to use two of the poetry books (Poetry and Truth, Poetry and Beauty) as a unit within his 10th grade literature, and whatever we don't get to, I'll use next year for another unit.

I bought, but haven't used the academic writing book. I was planning on pulling it out to use as a reference tool in the spring when I set him loose on a research paper.

Julie, I'm so glad you asked this question. I was considering using one of the higher levels of Magic Lens to supplement my high schoolers, especially in preparation for the PSAT/SAT. My 11yo ds has some of the same vocab words in CE II that his 14yo brother just brought home from high school. Ouch. Well, I also want a legit reason to order the next levels of MCT materials.:D

Jenn, thanks for your experiences. Yes, WWW looks daunting & so I set it aside & got Caesar's English, which we both enjoy. I wish there were more CE books, or WWW was just a bit more like CE, sigh. I do have dozens of vocab & roots books, but they are all workbooks & I'm pretty sure I wont use them with this particular child.

Lisa, let's hope more folks chime in! I know some of the MCT high school materials are new this year, but I feel sure some more folks around here are using them!

Julie

they should be here in two weeks. Yippee!

For some background, I bought the MCT high school materials for the following reasons:

1. My youngest (14dd) was complaining how boring everything is--I think the MCT materials will be a lovely change of pace.

2. It is SOOOOO easy to get *good* materials for high school aged children who are strong readers and independent learners. I actually wanted some materials that would *force* us to work together (like we used to in the old "learning to read" stage of life). I realize that I wouldn't be saying this if I still had the daunting task of teaching little ones to read, write, and do arithmetic. :001_smile:

3. I read through *many* of the old posts on the MCT yahoo group for families and the best advice (for our purposes) was, and I am paraphrasing one mother's words here:

1. "With ML, I sit down with my child and we talk about language."

2. "With WWW, I sit down with my child and we talk about words."

3. "With Poetry, I sit down with my child and we talk about poetry."

It is the "sit down and talk" together part that resonates with me.... I am not necessarily looking for lots of handholding guidance or a "complete" program--just enough to make me "sit down and talk."

However, to specifically address *some* aspects of your questions:

1. Continuing grammar: I see this as essential--not *learning* grammar over and over again, but *looking at* and *analyzing* sentences is a great *building thinking skills/logic/appreciation* exercise. And after the brief review of grammar foundations, the majority of the program is just that--a few sentences being analyzed.... Understanding and using clauses and phrases properly is a lifelong skill, and I really think many of our teens need long-term review to gain lifelong retention. I think the MCT materials will address this need admirably. Note: If I hadn't found MCT materials, I would probably be getting Abeka's 11/12th grade grammar books because they, too, focus on analyzing sentences.

2. Vocabulary: Admittedly, I have not *used* the books, but from my yahoo-archive readings, I think we have two choices: 1. make it a priority to learn all the roots, and 2. Use the book for discussion. I *think* I am going to go with 2. Some ideas I've gleaned from the yahoo loop include 1. picking only a couple of words from each stem to look up (ie, the ones that look interesting/unknown), 2. choosing a couple of stems to really nail down, maybe looking online for other examples using that stem, and 3. picking and choosing amongst the suggested activities to spark/keep alive an ongoing interest in words.

I saw that one other poster mentioned the workbook "Vocab for College-Bound" which IS an excellent text my older children have used. I definitely plan on using that book in 11th/12th grade. I am of the opinion that you can never overplay/learn/exhaust all the possibilities of increasing vocabulary. I think MCT's materials will nicely complement the wordlists/activities in Vocab. for the College-Bound.

3. I bought the "one-level-lower-than-high-school" poetry and writing books because that is our weakest language arts area. I foresee using the poetry books as a poetry unit, taking a break from other literature studies (ie. Lightning Lit). I am completely undecided how we will use the writing book, having not seen it. Can't be any help there.

Anyway, you are not alone in beginning MCT materials at the high school level. Maybe we can all check bases in Jan/Feb, after we have a few months of use behind us.

HTH,

Edited by vmsurbat
typo

Anyway, you are not alone in beginning MCT materials at the high school level. Maybe we can all check bases in Jan/Feb, after we have a few months of use behind us.

Vicki,

That was very helpful in my re-thinking through why I chose MCT materials & what my options might be (not doing the vocab 100%, for instance).

We won't be "beginning" MCT for high school, since we're using the materials for 8th grade already, but I'm just trying to explore whether we'll "continue" in high school...

I hope all of you continue to share so I can use what you learn :)

Julie

I'm in the planning out/scheduling stage of MCT materials for my 8th and 9th graders. We are using the first level of Magic Lens - but I'm awaiting arrival of the vocabulary part. I had originally intended not to use the vocabulary, but after reading about it on the forums here, I decided to go ahead with it. Sorry I can't say more about it, but I'm really looking forward to using it. I probably won't give separate poetry credit; I'll just roll it into the English 9 credit. I'm sure we'll be using some of the writing program, but I'm not a firm believer that a "program" produces a good writer. I think that writing, writing, writing, re-writing, re-writing, re-writing is what makes a good writer. But we do need to learn some of the writing structure....so I'll include it to a point.

Hey, I just noticed that your oldest is a petroleum engineer! My ds#1 is a sophomore in petroleum engineering at U of OK. He just got an internship for the summer and is so excited.

Oh, yes, my ds graduated from Colorado School of Mines about 1.5 years ago. He had summer internships , too. Those companies want the future employees (or best ones anyways) so much that they really wine & dine those summer interns. He's very happy with his new career. I hope your ds likes to travel, because my ds doesn't stay put for very long. He's worked in 3 states already, and traveled to others. He says they like it when their employees jump in and get experience "out in the field."