Menu

Runners, what was your time for your first 5k?

The vast majority of runners enter these local races just for the experience. There are few runners who actually think they can win!!

So, just enter! Do it! If it's your first race, you're guaranteed a personal record. Then, you'll have a time to work toward for the next one!

Unless you walk the entire thing, you won't come in last!!!

ETA: My first 5K was a Turkey Trot. I ran it with a friend. I was too embarassed to ask her to slow down, so I just kept up with her. I thought I was going to DIE!!!! But, our time was really good for our age group! We ended up getting 14th place (my friend and I tied!) out of hundreds of runners!!!

But, my last race was a 10k. I thought I did well time-wise. But, others in my age group must be really good!! I got 12th out of 18.

Edited by Jennifer in MI

I'm thinking about entering a race and was just wondering if it's typical to enter when you know you won't win, just for the experience and to get a start. Or do you wait until you have trained enough to have a certain time? Thanks.

I have no idea. LOL....That made me laugh to realize I don't know! I was thrilled to finish just ahead of this young 20 something IN SHAPE girl. Heck I was thrilled to finish at all! The route was VERY hilly though. Near the University of AR in Fayetteville for anyone who knows that area.

was just wondering if it's typical to enter when you know you won't win

OH MY GOODNESS! Thanks for the laugh! :D

I'm 45, started running when I was 40. In two weeks, I will run my first marathon. I'm pretty certain I won't place in my age group then, either, even with a small field.

And I love racing -- against myself. I am simply exploring my edge. I also enjoy the comraderie of racing events. I don't run to compete against others. Ultimately, I run because God gave me two legs and it provides a way for me to stay fit and sane.

I'm 45, started running when I was 40. In two weeks, I will run my first marathon. I'm pretty certain I won't place in my age group then, either, even with a small field.

And I love racing -- against myself. I am simply exploring my edge. I also enjoy the comraderie of racing events. I don't run to compete against others. Ultimately, I run because God gave me two legs and it provides a way for me to stay fit and sane.

Wow!!! Just wow!!!! Congratulations on just entering a marathon! How are you finding hte time to train? I opted to stick with the half marathon because of the time it takes to train for the full.

And, I totally agree with you about racing against yourself - and pushing yourself. I love races because it introduces me to all kinds of runners and it keeps me going.

Good luck on your marathon!!

My first 5K time was around 37 minutes. I went into it wanting to finish, and hoping to run the entire time - I did both.

Every single race I enter I'm doing it just because I enjoy the atmosphere, and it's even better if it supports a charity that means a lot to me. I don't enter to win, or even really compete. I'm a slow poke, and I'm proud of it!

Amen! That first race and time is your "personal best" and then you just keep trying to lower it--or even just *feel better*--as you continue running. That's why it's so funny to me when people ask, "What was your time?" because it should be totally moot to anyone else out there. This is a one woman against the trail/path/road and herself kinda sport! Which I love. LOL! The atmosphere at races is just great, but it comes down to me and my shoes. :D

Btw, I'm pretty slow. I just read last night that Oprah ran her first marathon at age 40 in 4 hours and 29 minutes. That's just over 10 minutes per mile! Whew! (But on the Runner's World forums and seemingly in the running community in general, anyone who runs over 10 min/mile is considered officially "slow" or a "Penguin"--not meant in a mean way, just a way to differentiate, I guess...)

I'm not even down to 10 min. per mile for a 5k yet...almost, though! I would be extremely pleased if I had a 10 min/mile pace for my 10k, too, but I'm being realistic. lol I'd like to lose another 20 pounds before then and I think that would really help. :)

I ran my first 5k in July. A woman pushing a jogging stroller and a 50+ year old graying man in jeans finished ahead of me, not to mention all the others. I still felt like a winners because I met my goals of running the whole time and finishing the race. I have since run a 5 mile race to benefit the local community and a 10K to benefit a local charity. I love the atmosphere. I love meeting other runners. I love pushing my limits and running as hard as I can. I love seeing my times improve. My goal is a marathon in early May. I love having a clear goal and implementing a plan of action.

So, run the race! Who cares about your time. It will be a personal best. Do it!

Wow!!! Just wow!!!! Congratulations on just entering a marathon! How are you finding hte time to train? I opted to stick with the half marathon because of the time it takes to train for the full.

Thanks for the luck. My short answer is I'm a bit undertrained. ;)

Longer answer is that before I decided to sign up for a marathon, I sat down with my family and told them I couldn't do it if they aren't down to help out. So, my husband agreed and bought me a treadmill so I could train when he's on the road. :001_wub:

I used Matt Fitzgerald's Brain Training concept, including slideboarding as one of my training days. It's something I can do when the kids watch Alton Brown at night, and I'm still in the room with them. There were many nights when the kids went to sleep to the sound of me running on the treadmill when my husband was away working.

Weekends, early mornings and late nights are when I run outside as my husband is home. I have a dog who goes with me.

And, sometimes, I do some creative running. Today, the kids have to pack up all their summer/outside toys. My husband has agreed to supervise. I have 14 miles to do. I'll be running mile loops by my house, and the kids will have our chalkboard out front and tick off my miles for me. Not my favorite way to get the miles in, but it'll work.

I've definitely had to grow in my flexibility training for a marathon, which is probably a very good thing for me. :D

I literally couldn't take running when I was younger. So, for those who read this, realize at some point, your body might be ready. Mine was at 40.

I've been running since I was a freshman in high school. I'm going to sound old now - I've been running for 26 years now. I enter because I want to run, because I want to support the cause, because I want to get a "free" tshirt, because it's a race I always do. Never because I thought I'd win.

Even in high school, I never won a 5K race. Someone on my team was always better than me.

Now get me on a track, in high school or college, and let me run the races I was good at - that's a different story altogether! I usually won those races. :001_smile:

But not distance races. I'm usually in the middle to the back.

I can't even imagine winning a race. I enter 5Ks in order to motivate myself to keep training. My first one was last year. My goal was to finish and to run the whole time. I did both! My time was 31 minutes. I am down to about 29 minutes now. I just signed up for a December race, so we'll see if I can get down to 28. I find the excitement of race day very motivating, and always run faster in races than I do in training.

Good luck! You can do it!!!!

I have only been running since May, and thanks to some encouraging words here & elsewhere, I did run in and complete my first 5k on Labor Day weekend.

I will tell you...I am slow by all standards. The field was small (and lots of high school teams!) so I was intimidated within minutes but sure that I could finish. Not "first" but "finished"...and that's what I did, and you can too. I wanted to run the whole thing, no walking. I wanted to finish & not be dead last.

My exact time will be forever etched on my brain: 36:36. :) Only two people finished after me, both many years older but I ran the whole way & I was not dead last! Dh and our girls were at the finish line with signs & encourging cheers & you would have thought I broke the ribbon & came in first with all the excitement!

Nearly ALL the other runners were there too at the end...what a wonderful experience of camraderie! Also, my course was an out & back style so EVERY single other runner passed me coming back. I knew exactly how far behind I was. :001_huh: BUT, many many of them passed me with encourging words & smiles, and nobody made me feel as last as I really was.

I encourage you to run it for the experience. I am not delusional enough to think I could train enough to win (yet!) but rather I am now in competition with myself--to run faster than 36:36, to have someone younger (anyone!) finish behind me, to simply keep running because it turns out that I like it. ;)

All the best to you!! Look forward to hearing how it goes!

I ran my first 5k in July. A woman pushing a jogging stroller and a 50+ year old graying man in jeans finished ahead of me, not to mention all the others. I still felt like a winners because I met my goals of running the whole time and finishing the race.

Wow, that sounds like one of of the first races I ran. Except the late 30's/early 40's woman was pushing a DOUBLE jogging stroller loaded with a preschooler and a toddler UP A HILL and I, in my early 20's, still couldn't keep up with her. :glare: But I ended up feeling good about the whole experience because I ran the whole way and finished the 12K race.

And I had a PR that I broke the next time I ran that distance. :)

I enter because I want to run, because I want to support the cause, because I want to get a "free" tshirt, because it's a race I always do. Never because I thought I'd win.

E

Well, now that you mention it, this is why I like to enter races;). Wearing a race t-shirt makes me feel accomplished. Yes, I'm lame, but oh well.

Wow, that sounds like one of of the first races I ran. Except the late 30's/early 40's woman was pushing a DOUBLE jogging stroller loaded with a preschooler and a toddler UP A HILL and I, in my early 20's, still couldn't keep up with her. :glare: But I ended up feeling good about the whole experience because I ran the whole way and finished the 12K race.

And I had a PR that I broke the next time I ran that distance. :)

Yes, it was a little disheartening, but I actually had a decent time (30:42). Oh, I also forgot to mention the 2 pregnant women who finished before me. :glare: