Menu

Question about MFW K/1st/Adventures

HappyDoopy

My oldest child is in 1st grade at a public elementary school right now, but we're thinking about pulling her out at the semester to homeschool.

She's a very strong reader.

I also have a daughter who is in Kindergarten right now (homeschooled), my goal for her is that she's a strong reader by the end of the school year. I have two more children (aged 3 and 1.5).

I feel confident that I could finish up my oldest in 1st grade without a specific curriculum.

My question is: If I start my oldest in Adventures (next fall), do I need to get the 1st Grade program for my second child, or could she just jump into Adventures with us? Would we be missing too much in the 1st Grade curriculum? Would Adventures be too advanced for my 1st grader? Should I go ahead and get the 1st grade curriculum for the Spring with my oldest, and have my second child join in, and then jump to Adventures with both kids in the fall?

Ha - I guess that's a few questions. I appreciate your wisdom and input! Thanks!:001_smile:

She could join your oldest with Adventures but you would want to use the phonics from 1st along with it. Adventures doesnt have any phonics in it and for a 1st grader that practice is important. 1st grade also includes math. There is a thread on how to combine on the MFW message boards.

Another thought is to just use 1st for both. The bible and science are good. You can add PLL and Math for your second grader. Plus a little phonic review never hurt anyone.

Math, phonics, and the Bible reader are all key components of the 1st grade program. Then she could join your 2nd grader in science, Bible, music, and all the other fun stuff in Adventures.

That said, you *could* skip the 1st grade program if you have a separate phonics and math program for her, but I'll tell you that my 1st grader really loves her Bible reader and having her own notebook. ;) First grade gives a good foundational Bible overview with memory verses in Proverbs, and to me, that's the biggest thing you'd be missing out on.

I also have a daughter who is in Kindergarten right now (homeschooled), my goal for her is that she's a strong reader by the end of the school year. I have two more children (aged 3 and 1.5).

I feel confident that I could finish up my oldest in 1st grade without a specific curriculum.

My question is: If I start my oldest in Adventures (next fall), do I need to get the 1st Grade program for my second child, or could she just jump into Adventures with us? Would we be missing too much in the 1st Grade curriculum? Would Adventures be too advanced for my 1st grader? Should I go ahead and get the 1st grade curriculum for the Spring with my oldest, and have my second child join in, and then jump to Adventures with both kids in the fall? :001_smile:

We are doing Adventures this year-- my older son will be 7 next week; the younger is 5 1/4. We are in Week 15 and it is a perfect fit for both. We did not do 1st grade.

The only adaptation I make is that I usually write my younger son's narrations for him. The rest has been right on his level.

As others mentioned, you will have to add your own phonics and math to it, which would have been included in MFW Grade 1. We added CLE and Pathway phonics and CLE Math, and he's doing great.

I considered MFW Grade 1 this year for both boys, but since my older was already reading on a 3rd grade level and the younger is a good listener and was ready to read, we did Adv and it was the right choice for us--

One caveat is that the history spine is rather dry. My boys enjoy it--I read it in an entertaining voice and summarize after every few paragraphs, and they are learning a lot. Some people in my yahoo group complain that their kids won't listen; I think it's all in how you present it--

Betsy

One caveat is that the history spine is rather dry. My boys enjoy it--I read it in an entertaining voice and summarize after every few paragraphs, and they are learning a lot. Some people in my yahoo group complain that their kids won't listen; I think it's all in how you present it--

Betsy

Which spine, Betsy? Are you talking about Exploring American History? If so, then you must have 1st edition of Adventures. It was revised this past year after Expl Am History was revised by its publisher. MFW decided not to keep that book in the package, but instead wrote their own which is called The Story of the U.S. The TM was then revised to match up with the new book.

Just an FYI for those who don't know.... :)

Which spine, Betsy? Are you talking about Exploring American History? If so, then you must have 1st edition of Adventures. It was revised this past year after Expl Am History was revised by its publisher. MFW decided not to keep that book in the package, but instead wrote their own which is called The Story of the U.S. The TM was then revised to match up with the new book.

Just an FYI for those who don't know.... :)

I bought my Adventures this August, but yes--I did see they added a different book. But my understanding is that it i the same book, more or less. MFW just rewrote it somewhat, because it went out of print at CLP, and the CLP revision wasn't acceptable.

At any rate--we like Exploring American History, but some don't; I had asked on my yahoo forum if we ought to buy the "new spine" and was advised against it because it isn't that much different-- do you know if it's still a dry read?

Betsy

I bought my Adventures this August, but yes--I did see they added a different book. But my understanding is that it i the same book, more or less. MFW just rewrote it somewhat, because it went out of print at CLP, and the CLP revision wasn't acceptable.

Exploring American History 2nd edition is used in older years (EX1850 and 1850MOD). So it was acceptable to keep using it in older years. Originally in ADV, only certain selections from the 1st edition of the book were part of the ADV program. Those selections along with some editing work to make it flow with the manual became the newer book used. But, it is essentially the same information in both and from the same public domain source.

I haven't read Story of the US to know if it reads differently. I didn't have all that much trouble with EAH first edition though. It's there to get the basic facts and provided a different way to learn information as one part of everything in the program. You have book basket, crafts, notebooking, and then more basic facts - this book.

-crystal

Yes, I think they included just the parts from Expl Am History that are scheduled in the manual (since the entire 1st edition of Expl Am History wasn't used, anyway).

do you know if it's still a dry read?

I haven't seen it, so I don't know. I basically just wanted to let folks know that what they use now isn't the whole book (or exactly the same) as previously.