Menu

What would I do with boiled mushrooms that I've saved from making broth?

These are shiitake and baby bella mushrooms that I have left from making mushroom broth for our miso soup. I hate to toss them but have no clue what I might use them in. Also, can I freeze them until I decide on something? Mushroom soup comes to mind, but I have no recipe or appropriate ingredients at the moment. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA!

Ooh, great ideas! I was just thinking about making meatloaf too. Yes, they are pretty limp, but my mom said -- and I read a few other places too -- that I should save them for other things. I hate to waste shiitake mushrooms! I'll experiment a bit, maybe, and see what I think.

Sputterduck, it's not much of a recipe, really! I just based it on a bunch of different recipes and ideas I've seen. Today, I used maybe 6 quarts of water and 18 dried shiitake mushrooms (from our regular grocery store). I heated the warm to very warm (I could still put my finger in it), turned off the heat, and added the dried mushrooms to soak for 15-20 minutes. When they were rehydrated, I sliced them into slightly smaller chunks, started heating the water again, and added a package of sliced baby bellas (also from the grocery store). I boiled them all for as long as it took me to make the rest of the meal -- maybe 30-40 minutes? Then I turned them off, scooped out the mushrooms, and made the miso soup in a separate, large bowl. (Let me know if want details on that part too.)

It's probably more mushrooms than I need to use, but I'm still experimenting. Bonito flakes would be much cheaper, and I've heard that's more like the soup you'd get at a restaurant, but my DH and DD4 love this version, so it works for us!

HTH! And thanks for the input, all. I was really at a loss!

ETA that it's not the most flavorful broth on the planet, but for miso soup, I think it's really supposed to be a very simple base. The miso and other parts (scallions, toasted sesame seeds, other veggies, etc.) add the real flavor, it seems.

Edited by melissel

These are shiitake and baby bella mushrooms that I have left from making mushroom broth for our miso soup. I hate to toss them but have no clue what I might use them in. Also, can I freeze them until I decide on something? Mushroom soup comes to mind, but I have no recipe or appropriate ingredients at the moment. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA!

Once you use them for broth, the veggies are mostly tasteless IME and also have lost most of their nutrition. (That's the idea -- to get their flavors out of the veggies and into the water!)

So, I wouldn't try to make anything where I wanted much flavor. If you wanted to use them as a filler in meatloaf as someone else suggested, I'd imagine they'd be better than bread crumbs. . .

I hate throwing out the veggies when I make broth. It is easier if you use mostly peelings (squash peelings/pulp are great). I've also learned over the years to resist following the stock "recipe" strictly. I no longer buy pricey leeks or mushrooms for most stocks b/c it kills me to "wast" $10 in veggies for stock. I will use the green parts of the leeks if I am buying them to use the white parts in sth else. . . Otherwise, it's yellow onions, not leeks, in my stocks. The "cheaper" stock recipes I come up with are just as delicious.