Menu

Can dairy drastically affect mood?

Normally, I'd be well into seasonal depression by now. It's not a dangerous depression but still significant. Even my midwife last pregnancy noticed a dramatic change between my winter self and my spring/summer self. It's something I've just learned to live with.

For some reason, I've been unusually happy, happier than I am during the summer, even. I've had moments where I've been struck by how content I feel. Or how happy or cheerful. I've noticed that I have more energy than I'm used to, more like the energy levels I have during the summer. I've been getting homeschooling done, keeping up with the housework better (not perfect, but better), and getting a lot of decluttering and organizing done.

So, I had shared all this with my friends at my support group and one friend, my best, asked a very good question:

Could this increased mood and energy be coming from the elimination of dairy from my diet?

Yes. Casein (milk protein) and gluten (wheat protein) can both be neurotoxic to people who are unable to process them. For so long, allergies and intolerances were only thought of as having physical symptoms - stomach/digestive issues, skin rashes/issues, etc. Slowly now emotional and mental issues (depression, adhd, odd, etc.) are seen as a result of food intolerances.

Absolutely! I have a personal friend who's son was so hot tempered we didn't allow him to play with our kids; he was just so violent. His mom took him off dairy and his personality changed 100%. He no longer had violent outbursts and it was just a very night/day obvious change.

I can personally attest that eating something I don't tolerate makes me grouchy so I absolutely believe foods affecting moods.

Oh yes. I know the data isn't there for the research and all that but in real life it is.

My dd cannot eat dairy, ds cannot eat colours. This is in addition to anaphylaxis and coeliac. I think these things just made us look harder at foods.

DD is coeliac, anaphylatic to tree nuts, but not 'allergic' to dairy. however she cannot tolerate it (moody, depressed, flare up of hay fever/asthma)

Ds also coeliac, cannot tolerate colours (hyperactivity followed by the glooms).

I cannot tolerate sugar. It took me ages to discover this. But my temperature drops to around 94.5F, I get miserable (and feel very cold) I become lethargic. I also spend the next 4 days with chronic heartburn. But I am negative on all tests!

If the stuff make you feel ill avoid it!

Yes.

My mood and energy and sleep needs are different when I'm not eating things I'm allergic to.

Unfortunately, I'm now at least mildly allergic to everything but quail, buffalo, lettuce, and figs. But, I can eat chocolate now, when I was allergic to less and avoiding things, I couldn't have chocolate!

yes, I notice a huge difference in my oldest son when he eats diary. He complains of being tired all the time and needs to come home and nap in the middle of the day. He's also a lot more grouchy--which I imagine has to do with being tired.

I'm glad to hear that things are looking brighter for you!

Guest Cindie2dds

Absolutely! After becoming a vegan, I've noticed I'm not as prone to headaches or moodiness and I'm not as tired. It takes a lot of energy for *my* body to process meat and dairy. My youngest is the same as me with dairy; but she, my oldest and my husband are happy carnivores. I truly think it depends on the person. If you feel less depressed, especially during this time of year, hurray! :)

My ds had terrible tantrums, the out of control kind that could last for a hour. I was at a loss as to what to do because they weren't in defiance, and didn't seem to be out of frustration. I finally decided to remove milk from his diet. The tantrums immediately stopped. On the days when dh gave him milk on his cereal for breakfast (I didn't know it), he would tantrum. I would call dh at work and ask if he gave ds milk, and it was always a yes answer. So yes, I very much believe that dairy can affect mood and behavior. I saw it in my ds.

What confuses me though, is that I'm not depressed during the summers. It's like my summer got extended through the fall and winter. If it is the dairy, why would I not see the same affects during the summer?

I'm still not eating it since my nursling needs me to avoid it. She's MUCH happier without it.

What confuses me though, is that I'm not depressed during the summers. It's like my summer got extended through the fall and winter. If it is the dairy, why would I not see the same affects during the summer?

I'm still not eating it since my nursling needs me to avoid it. She's MUCH happier without it.

Have you been supplementing with Vit D? That is the only thing I can think of that would make summer different. I have heard that having low vitamin D increases reactions to food allergies, so if you have a mild allergy you might be able to eat it in the summer, but not winter.

Nope, no vitamin D.

It's a mystery, but one I can live with if it's going to make life so much better. Still, it would be nice to know so I can duplicate it all winter and in future years.

The only thing that is different is the dairy. I've lost some weight (15-17 pounds below prepregnancy weight) because of the dairy free diet but I don't think it is enough to affect things that much, especially since I'm still quite overweight.

Yes. Casein (milk protein) and gluten (wheat protein) can both be neurotoxic to people who are unable to process them. For so long, allergies and intolerances were only thought of as having physical symptoms - stomach/digestive issues, skin rashes/issues, etc. Slowly now emotional and mental issues (depression, adhd, odd, etc.) are seen as a result of food intolerances.

When my dd (6) has casein/milk, gluten, she is extremely wild and mean... let's say "very" uncontrollable. So, yes, it can affect mood etc...

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but after another sleepless night, i'm up searching for answers.

For the last week I've gone dairy free in an effort to lose weight. I don't normally drink milk, except for chai, and that was one of the things I cut. It was a good mood week. Then last night, I indulged in chai, and had one of the dreamiest, fitful nights yet. So I decided to do some searching.

Thanks for this thread, i'm encouraged. :)

Interesting. I've just cut a bunch of things from my diet, and I've been trying to figure out which ones were making the most difference. Dairy is one of them.

This month, for the first time in ages, my PMS symptoms did not involve my usual 3 days of "woe is me, my life is the pits" depression that it usually does. And as far as I can recall, I didn't chew anyone's head off like I unfortunately do at least once a month. :chillpill: