Menu

Do you have a "conference time" with a child?

razorbackmama

This would be a time during the day when you sit down with just that child and go over what he/she is working on, but they actually do the work at some other point in the day on their own. This is contrasted with a situation where you work with them on every subject whenever they start that subject.

If you do, do you have your conference time before or after their independent work? I can see pros/cons to both. If I had the conference time first, I could teach it real quick, make sure they understand the instructions, etc. The con to this is that if they didn't understand they would STILL need to interrupt me to ask for help (which is what the conference time is attempting to solve - the interruptions). If I had it after, then they could work on their assignments on their own first, and then we can just go over it during conference time to make sure they understood everything, and they could ask any necessary questions then.

So...what do you do?

This would be a time during the day when you sit down with just that child and go over what he/she is working on, but they actually do the work at some other point in the day on their own. This is contrasted with a situation where you work with them on every subject whenever they start that subject.

If you do, do you have your conference time before or after their independent work? I can see pros/cons to both. If I had the conference time first, I could teach it real quick, make sure they understand the instructions, etc. The con to this is that if they didn't understand they would STILL need to interrupt me to ask for help (which is what the conference time is attempting to solve - the interruptions). If I had it after, then they could work on their assignments on their own first, and then we can just go over it during conference time to make sure they understood everything, and they could ask any necessary questions then.

So...what do you do?

This is what my morning looks like:

ds5: 15-30 minutes

ds10: 45 minutes

ds9: 45 minutes

ds7: 60 minutes

ds5: 30 minutes

ds3: 30 minutes

During my meeting time with the older 2, I go over all instructions/teaching for anything I think they'll need help with. We might do one example together if I think it's needed, but I make sure they are clear on instructions and what they are doing. Then they go do the work. They also have work that I don't teach, so they can work on that before or after their meeting. Normally they don't have any questions, and if they do they are quick.

With the younger three, I teach and they work with me right next to them. Ds7 & ds5 both have some work they can do without me, but they aren't great at getting it done yet, so I'm often sitting next to them reminding them to stick with whatever they're doing. This allows me some time to check the older boys work as they finish and to answer any quick questions.

If anyone has a question that requires more than a minute to answer, I tell them they'll have to wait, and I remind them that their brothers didn't interrupt their time with me, so they'll have to be patient and wait until I'm free. They often are able to go put forth another brain cell or two and they're able to answer the question without me.

This is what my morning looks like:

ds5: 15-30 minutes

ds10: 45 minutes

ds9: 45 minutes

ds7: 60 minutes

ds5: 30 minutes

ds3: 30 minutes

During my meeting time with the older 2, I go over all instructions/teaching for anything I think they'll need help with. We might do one example together if I think it's needed, but I make sure they are clear on instructions and what they are doing. Then they go do the work. They also have work that I don't teach, so they can work on that before or after their meeting. Normally they don't have any questions, and if they do they are quick.

With the younger three, I teach and they work with me right next to them. Ds7 & ds5 both have some work they can do without me, but they aren't great at getting it done yet, so I'm often sitting next to them reminding them to stick with whatever they're doing. This allows me some time to check the older boys work as they finish and to answer any quick questions.

If anyone has a question that requires more than a minute to answer, I tell them they'll have to wait, and I remind them that their brothers didn't interrupt their time with me, so they'll have to be patient and wait until I'm free. They often are able to go put forth another brain cell or two and they're able to answer the question without me.

Thanks, this helps! It's what I'm leaning toward. Do you basically go from oldest to youngest then? I've been going from youngest to oldest, but my olders are the ones who are getting jipped, and their school is more vital than the youngers'. Bleh. So I'm reworking our schedule and trying to think of any kinks that might get in the way.

Curious, why do you do some school with the 5yo first and then later on?

Thanks, this helps! It's what I'm leaning toward. Do you basically go from oldest to youngest then? I've been going from youngest to oldest, but my olders are the ones who are getting jipped, and their school is more vital than the youngers'. Bleh. So I'm reworking our schedule and trying to think of any kinks that might get in the way.

Curious, why do you do some school with the 5yo first and then later on?

I do tend to go from oldest to youngest. Sometimes my ds10 & ds9 get swapped, depending on the day (if ds9 wakes up earlier than ds10, or if he's got more work that I need to explain).

Ds5 is very hyper, and he also wakes up earlier than the other boys. I try to snag him first thing to at least get his phonics done (I try for more if he can handle it). After about 15-30 minutes of school work, we both need a break (he's exhausting!).

I have started having a "Coffee Conference" with my 9th grader each morning. It's a time to go over what has already been done while we drink coffee and wake up (and everyone else is still aleep!). This works mostly because he so much of what he is doing is set up to be independent, and he *wants* to be independent. Our conference isn't a "teaching" session, but oral quizzing and discussions and just checking in to be sure that assignments have been completed. I still go subject-by-subject with my 6th grader.

I have two wiggly boys too! I try to knock out as much as I can first thing in the morning! After worship, we hit math, spelling, and math online drills before breakfast. Then we do language arts. Meanwhile, the older ones are working independently. By mid-morning, I can have language arts with the middle child and let the little break.

In the afternoon I meet with the elder 3 to follow on the days activities. We meet once (twice if necessary) to go over the weeks work and long term activities. We have as few teaching sessions as possible, as I try to cover those on Fridays major meeting (which often ends up on Saturdays). I do, however, have them turn in certain things daily so I can at least grade or look them over to make sure they haven't hit any bumps in the road.

We used to do history as a family in the a.m., but I am finding I need to knock out wiggly boy activities first, so we have history after lunch and PE now. Just in time to wind down the little guys for an afternoon of science (read alouds and experiments), then they're calm enough to read independently for a bit.

WHEW! I'm beat!