Menu

sonlight

ahancock

Hello all, I am new here. Does anyone know of an all-in-one curriculum similar to sonlight, but cheaper? I made good choices for this year, but I am always hunting down books, planning, etc. and I am just plain tired. Something other than My Father's World, please. I did that last year and was driven half crazy. I like that Sonlight has LA that goes with the reading. You still get some of the elements of the WTM suggetions too, I believe. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, another thing, we are in ancients this year in history, so I need something that deals with the Middle Ages time frame.

Welcome! I was thinking that perhaps you could consider Sonlight's time payments option. They will let you pay for your order in 3, 6, or 9 month payments for a reasonable fee if that would help. It's difficult to have a literature-based program without the expense. You might also look at the main programs from Winter Promise.

You can get the IGs on the sale board here. Get a good set of used books, then add in the library for the rest. It can be pretty economical.

Ambleside Online or Simply Charlotte Mason give free plans, but you'll have to do just as much running down of books.

There is no way to buy a set of books without spending some money unless you buy them used or use the library with means running.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I know, I know, it is hard to have your cake and eat it too, isn't it? I guess that I should consider all the fun that my guys have had getting their books at the library! I guess that we all dream of having the perfect curriculum, huh?

what about doing STOW for history and just buying the LA portion of sonlight- with all the books for the LA portion, too?

I finally bit the bullet and bought the whole Sonlight package (except for Science)...it IS really nice to have all the books on the shelf. I am homeschooling 5 kids, so I can re-use the cores, so that saves me money. I will not re-use Core 2 that I am using for the younger kids, but I plan to sell it when I am done.

Good idea, Jen. That is exactly what I was just thinking about. I love that the STOW activity guide includes fun things to do, and narration examples. I am using WWE 2 this year, and like it, but my daughter is actually wanting to venture out into her own writing. She is advanced in LA. So, do you have a good opinion of Sonlight LA? Would it mesh well with my using STOW? Also, I was thinking about the fact that the suggested reading in STOW would be our literature. Would the readers with SL be too much, especially with it not being a part of our time period being studied?

Good idea, Jen. That is exactly what I was just thinking about. I love that the STOW activity guide includes fun things to do, and narration examples. I am using WWE 2 this year, and like it, but my daughter is actually wanting to venture out into her own writing. She is advanced in LA. So, do you have a good opinion of Sonlight LA? Would it mesh well with my using STOW? Also, I was thinking about the fact that the suggested reading in STOW would be our literature. Would the readers with SL be too much, especially with it not being a part of our time period being studied?
I like this idea too. It is what I am doing! Sonlight Readers along with the SOTW history. The SL readers have short assignments that do not take much time. Sometimes I skip the mapping and questions. With the SOTW books, whether they are readers or to be read aloud is not always consistent, so I like having the SL readers to be sure that she has assigned reading every day. That might be a little different if the ages of your kids is different.

Winterpromise also has readers and integrated LA, and they have more variety of topics to choose from. The same readers are used for multiple grades, though, so that makes me a bit skeptical.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

What is the advantage of the Biblioplan way versus having a streamlined history like STOW. The reason that I didn't like MFW is it was very choppy. Even though there is much literature with SL, it doesn't seem choppy.

I'm assuming you'd want a Christian worldview being that you had used MFW? So, Biblioplan would give you some resource options to add to SOTW for that perspective.

MFW is a bit choppy for my taste as well. But, with Biblioplan you can decide how much or little you'd like to add. I was relatively happy with the Ancients study in that SOTW, the Usborne Encyclopedia, and a simple children's Bible helped bring in the Biblical element I desired without overwhelming myself or my dc. It also gave me literature options to read-aloud or assign for independent reading, many of which I found at our local library. The major aspect, imho, that Biblioplan lacks is commentary like MFW, Sonlight, and TOG provide.

We're doing Sonlight Core 1+2 this year and we couldn't fork out the money to buy an entire core.

Soooo...every one of the Read-Alouds has been available at our library. So, we bought NO read-alouds. About half of the history books were also at the library (like Greek News). Odd stuff like from Akebu to Zapotec, I bought on Sonlight's website. I have a friend who is also doing Core 1 and we've traded history books to keep the other from having to buy them.

I bought enough Readers for both kids to last until December from Sonlight. I'm going to buy the second half pretty soon.

If you absolutely have to (and you have a good library system), you can do sonlight on a strict budget. I wholeheartedly love sonlight's book selection and even when we move onto something else, I am going to keep buying/using sonlight's read-alouds and readers. They are wonderful books and I never read anything like this stuff when I was a kid.

I used Sonlight last year and switched to TOG this year. I love it. It is easier to use the library with TOG because you don't need a specific book, just a book about the subject. It will tell you a specific title that they recommend, but also tell you that most any same subject book will do.

TOG looked overwhelming at first and so many people told me I was crazy because it has a reputation of being a lot of planning. I don't see it, though. I really like it. I also think it flows better then Sonlight did. I like all my stuff to correlate. It bugged me studying the beginning/origin of written history while reading Charlotte's Web. It also schedules way more then you can do, but you pick and choose. My dh is very hands on and Sonlight was lacking in that area. TOG schedules great hands on activities that go well with what you are doing, plus lapbooking!