Menu

Please share lists of movies with real ed content, gr 6-10, histories.

LBS

I'm contemplating purchasing a huge amount of Teaching Company courses, for teaching history to a right-brainer boy. I want to plan out US History and World History, one year's worth each, and want the basis to be visual. I'm not sure how the lectures from TC will go over, or which lecturers he'll like, but as folks discuss the big sale, and which courses they like, I wonder if there are other history series of DVDs, enactments, less lectures, that would serve well? OR, regular movies, that are entertaining while educating. Is there a list out there, or a book that lists suggestions of how to use movies and what is contained within?

Thanks for any replies!

LBS

If you purchase The Teaching Company courses directly from The Teaching Company you can return them if you do not want to keep them, even if you have had them for quite awhile. Be sure to keep your invoice , in case you need to return something.

Regarding movies, here's a link to some lists of movies.

http://homeschoolchristian.com/curricula/movies/index.php

Here's another link to movies at "The History Place". Be sure to check the reviews and ratings on these.

http://www.historyplace.com/specials/reviews/index.html

"Just the Facts" Learning Series has a lot of titles in it.

http://www.sdteach.com/category_s/77.htm

These are not movies, but audio dramatized stories that can be downloaded on American History.

From Nest Learning.

http://www.nestlearning.com/living-principles-of-america_c1580.aspx

Edited by Miss Sherry

www.cosmeo.com for this. We spend about an hour a day watching or listening to history on it. It has a great search engine that allows you to search for very specific subjects and will pull up every video that mentions that subject and gives you a direct link to the portion of the video you need. Its only $10 a month--and I don't think there is any time commitment required so I think its really worth a try. As far as a right-brained, visual learner goes--these have a lot more visual interest--as opposed to a lecturer in the Teaching Co. videos. Depends on the age of your son, but if he's closer to 6th grade I think it might be a better fit. You can narrow the videos into K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12th grades, so if you're interested in grades 6-10---theres plenty to choose from.

We've bought several Teaching Company history videos. I like them, and they are FULL of content, but depending on the child's maturity level they might move a little slow for a middle schooler. I'd check around at local libraries to see if you can check them out before you invest too much. We found this one to be very interesting, High School Level—World History: The Fertile Crescent to The American Revolution tiny_sale.gif

But I thought he went a little over the top with the torture/gruesome acts in history. I thought it was OK for my older son but I didn't like my younger one to be in the room because some of the descriptions were a little gory. This teacher has another history video also. He dresses in character and makes it very engaging.

We also have this one, History of Ancient Rome

By Professor Garrett G. Fagan, it is very in depth, but my son is a little distracted by this guy's accent and it feels slow compared to the one I mentioned already. Lots of great content though.

We haven't gotten around to watching the others yet.

I've really learned a lot from reading the reviews on their website. Interested to read the replies here.

Edited by homeschoolally

For colonial American history, Colonial Williamsburg does a great series of electronic field trips that are very reasonably priced through the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op ($50 for 7 field trips, one a month). We did them last year and even though parts were a bit over my daughter's head, she did get a good bit out of them (she was in 3rd grade and they are aimed at more midrange and up---I learned a lot). There's a different topic each month and you can view them in archived form if you can't watch during the live broadcast.

The Just the Facts looks so much more engaging, and I have not yet even reviewed one....I guess I should go to the library? Is there any order to these, to, say, construct a U.S. History, then co-ordinate with a work-book set and a history encyclopedia for backup? The Nest site is a real find, with great prices on the Cerebellum Corp products. Are the Just the Facts DVDs wonderful? My son is 13 but behind in history, but a good adventure thru it once,then deeper the second time (he LOVES Robert E. Lee)....I don't want to put him to sleep and, and wonderful as the TC lectures look, his attention is not going to hold, I'm thinking.

And Cosmeo has Math? Wow. I looked at BrainPop, Learn360, Thinkshop and Cosmeo looks best. Are there any other like this?

Also, Hippocampus has a new Minicampus, that seems to be a good US History, not an AP content, but more along the lines of an advanced middle school level? Has anyone tried that?

The Just the Facts looks so much more engaging, and I have not yet even reviewed one....I guess I should go to the library? Is there any order to these, to, say, construct a U.S. History, then co-ordinate with a work-book set and a history encyclopedia for backup? The Nest site is a real find, with great prices on the Cerebellum Corp products. Are the Just the Facts DVDs wonderful? My son is 13 but behind in history, but a good adventure thru it once,then deeper the second time (he LOVES Robert E. Lee)....I don't want to put him to sleep and, and wonderful as the TC lectures look, his attention is not going to hold, I'm thinking.

And Cosmeo has Math? Wow. I looked at BrainPop, Learn360, Thinkshop and Cosmeo looks best. Are there any other like this?

Also, Hippocampus has a new Minicampus, that seems to be a good US History, not an AP content, but more along the lines of an advanced middle school level? Has anyone tried that?

I have only seen a couple of the "Just the Facts" DVD's. There was a lot of information packed into them and I was using them with other materials. The one's we saw were on the government and the Constitution. I think it would be best if you could look at one before investing in them. If you cannot find one at the library I suggest you only purchase one, rather than several at a time, to see if you like the style.

You may want to look around on these sites and see if there is something you want but before purchasing it new check on ebay, homeschoolclassifieds.com, or the sale board here for it used.

Something else you can do is just do a search of the DVD's at ebay of subjects you would like DVD's for. For example, if you want to learn about George Washington check to see if there are any DVD's about him that look like they would be appropriate for your son.

Sorry, I do not know the answers to your questions above.

Here's a link to another site with DVD's for sell.

The History Channel

http://www.history.com/classroom/index.html

We have watched a few movies after reading and studying books. For example, after reading "The Red Badge of Courage" and using the Progeny Press study guide we watched the movie.

We did this with Julius Caesar too. We read the play by Shakespear, in a side-by-side book - the original on one side and modern english on the other, and then watched the movie.

A couple of Christmas's ago I read "A Christmas Carol" aloud to my daughter and then we watched a couple of versions of the movie. She liked pointing out the differences in the movies from the book.

My daughter also enjoyed reading all of the Anne of Green Gables books and then watching the movies afterwards.

We are watching The Revolution by History Channel. It's very well made with enactments and perspectives from historians throughout. We've watched The Founding Fathers by History Channel in the past as well and liked it too.

We got these through either our library or Netflex.

for thoughtful replies. I did find Movies as Literature, as an intro to literary analysis, too.

I cannot help but wish that all the huge budgets spent on amazing movies, could somehow be channelled into more redeeming educational content. Not that I don't enjoy theatre for the total entertainment of it all, the big screen and that popcorn draw us in, quite often....but I had a moment years ago, when watching a huge, gorgeous movie about dinosaurs on a island, where people would go visit and wander amongst them like a theme park....well the dinosaurs got big, took over and ate and hunted people and they barely escaped....okay, maybe that is not the exact story line, but I sat there thinking that if only the technology of producing those gorgeous dinosaurs could be also used for educational inspiration....I'm not saying this very well, and mean no criticism of going to the movies for fun....just hoping to find the good stuff, for edutainment (weighted on the ed- side) to use to excite my learners.

Thanks again,

Lark