Menu

BJU Math 1 - not working, I need suggestions

1shortmomto4

I'm looking over my selections for the kids this year and deciding on what is working and what needs a fix and I keep coming down to one final "Ugh" - which isn't so bad when I consider I've got 4 kids doing totally different stuff! I love BJU math and it has worked great for the other 3 kids although this year I'm using TT for one because it is more computer-based and he has dysgraphia and it cuts down on all the pencil work (p.s., he's loving it, great fit!) but it is nothing but an aggravating chore with my youngest ds who is in 1st. I've tried being the scribe because sometimes all the writing can be annoying (especially after we've done a learn to read/spell lesson). I've "taught" the lesson using all the manipulatives and examples and sometimes he still doesn't get it! I now just hand him the worksheet and give minimal instruction - that seems to work pretty well but not entirely - can't seem to help him learn to skip count by 5s so learning how to count change with nickels with more than interesting! I really want something that will be a better fit for this child - he gets distracted if we use too much manipulatives (he starts making stories up with the cubes and it is hard to reel him back in), loves computer stuff (working on ETC online and that is working really well). I've looked at MUS, Singapore, RightStart but just not sure - what types of students does this appeal to? How about MCP math? Other options? I need some fresh ideas - help!!!!!

How old is he? Do you think maybe he is not quite conceptually ready? Personally i think skipping all of the teaching part isn't so great because that is when they are learning the thought processes about how to find the answers.

I have Activities and Worksheets for the AL Abacus which are Rightstart products. If we ever need to review something or find a different way to teach it i find that they fit well together and we can side step to Rightstart and then come back to BJU without skipping a beat. IMO they seem to mesh well together.

To my mind you're looking for either CLE or Horizons. As you say, BJU needs to be taught. Doing just the worksheet isn't giving him enough practice either. There was review built into the lessons and extra stuff on the cd in the tm. You want to do the BJU math as a whole. CLE is more independent.

Have you looked at Professor B math? Haven't used it, but do a search around here and you'll find others who have.

I used BJU with ds for a bit, but it wasn't a good fit because there was such a wide variety of manipulatives that he got lost in figuring out how to manipulate them. I took a math vacation for a couple of months and we've picked up with MUS since September. This has worked better for ds because he doesn't have to figure out how to use the manipulative in each lesson, it's always the blocks. I doubt your ds could have anywhere near the math troubles my ds has, but if manipulative distraction/confusion is the root of your problem, I'd give MUS a look-see. Try to borrow it for a couple of days to see if it will fit your ds's learning style if you possible can, because it's a love it or hate it kind of curriculum.

Good luck finding something that fits your needs!

Definitely do not go with RS. If the manipulatives are a problem in BJU then they will be in RS as well. My ds was distracted by all of them and only wanted to play with them. MUS was better, but after a while he just wanted to play with those too. We are doing really well with Abeka, he did well with Horizons too. I like Abeka better because the Home education curriculum guide is really helpful. I like the spiral approach to because ds gets board when it stays on the same kind of problem the entire lesson. I would have tried CLE except that my ds really needs color.