Menu

Pet Bunny/Rabbit..anyone have one?

I am thinking about getting a pet bunny, and am looking for advice from those that are experienced.

What are the average start-up costs for bunny, cage, supplies, etc? What is essential to have for a bunny?

How would you rate a bunny as far as hard to care for, or easy?

Are there certain breeds that are better than others, as far as with young children?

Just to give you a background, we have two dogs, a cat, and 2 hermit crabs. All of these are great, wonderful, no problems.

In the past, we have had a hamster (DS begged for a year, finally gave him one for birthday). I was not fond of it at all, looked to mice-y for me. DS barely touched it after the first week, and it was me that ended up cleaning the cage, feeding etc. Hamster found a new home.

A few years later, a friend offered us her guinea pig. I thought my boys would enjoy him. They did play with him on occasion, but he was just kind of gross, cuz he pooped and peed whereever he was, floor, your lap, etc etc. Again, the cleaning/feeding was on me. I just can't handle the small mice-like poo, just so rodent-like. He had to find a new home.

So it's not that I think pets are disposable but on the other hand, I do want them to have a good home where there is interaction.

I think it might be better with the bunny. First, I want him, so I am fully prepared that my boys might not help, or care for him, so it won't be a shocker if it's all on me. But I think they would enjoy the bunny. I have heard you can litter train them, so they don't poo and pee everywhere, it's just a matter of keeping the litter box clean.

Any tips or hints?

thanks

K

We adopted a bunny in August and absolutely love him! We also have guinea pigs and our bunny is so much more fun. He does need about 1-3 hours of exercise daily outside of his cage, so we have to keep the dogs and cat separated for him.

Yes, you can litterbox train them and ours is just about there. Even when he poops on the carpet, it's not big deal - just pick-up with a tissue. And he has never peed on the carpet (he's much neater than our pigs). With litterbox training, he uses much less bedding as well.

Here is a site I've found very helpful. Good luck :)

Mary Alin

Well, we have 3. All mini rex. Great personalities and nice size but everyone has a favorte breed.

2 are completely litterbox trained and 1 refuses her boxes, in every space,shape,size,etc. Bunny urine is stinky. We clean litterboxes daily and her cage every 2 days, it still is stinky. In terms of hard to care for ???. Not too bad. Clean cage/litterboxes often, clean dishes and water bottle daily(maybe 5-10 minutes), exercise is the big one. Our dogs and cats have to be seperated when it is bunny play time. Plus none of our bunnies can play together so I need to put seperate playyards up for each one. Brushing their hair often at certain times of the year or hair ends up everywhere. Oh and we use large cages for ours so if we cannot exercise them every day we do not feel as guilty. Basically we have a full wall of cages.

Depending on the age of your children though rabbits might not be the best pet. They are prey animals and can be very nervous with bouncy, younger children. It is hard to say really. 1 of ours is very nervous with anyone who is not family so she does not get to play when friends are over. My daughter's male and my female are very, very sweet and do not mind being held by us but not as much by others. However they do enjoy running over us and playing around us. my female likes to play fetch, also.

Messy though and even though they are litter trained poop ends up in different spots. They bounce and poop moves around. Sometimes urine misses some of the litterbox, not even on purpose but they angle their butts wrong or what not.

Hay is everywhere. Always.

As for costs I cannot help you as we had cages/supplies already and did not need to purchase much that way. We replace litterboxes on a yearly basis as they tend to hold odors but otherwise it is pellets and hay that is on going costs. None of our rabbits have health concerns so no major vet bills but it could happen as well. I trim their nails and keep them away from potential fleas/mites/ticks(inside play only).

G.P stool is very similar to rabbit stool and if you did not care for that it might not be a great idea. It is more round and larger in size where most rodents stool ends up with an oval shape.

We have a rabbit. I think it was around $150 for the cage and all the extras (dishes, food, bedding, leash and harness) plus $25 for the animal. I think it is a dwarf lop.

As far as pets go I like it (I'm not a pet person). It is quiet, relatively neat and easy to care for. It is close to litterbox trained which is nice and the kids like to take it out and play with it either in the backyard or in a gated section of the house. It will push a ball around with it's nose, toss cat toys in the air and follow the kids around. Honestly, it seems like a really low maintenance dog most of the time.

have you see the House Rabbit society website?

http://www.rabbit.org/

tons of great info there

Do get in touch with a local rabbit rescue - you can get a much better idea of the personality of the rabbit you're getting when they've been fostered by experienced volunteers.

Rabbits are *fragile*. Many come into rescue with broken legs as a result of being dropped by children. Vet care is the same price or more as for a dog. As prey species, their bhvr is different than a cat or dog or even a cavy. I find them a bit mysterious. I've also been kicked by a few :glare: My dd otoh really liked to do the rabbit room when we volunteered at the shelter.

If you do make contact with a rescue, you may be able to volunteer as foster homes first & see how you feel about bunnies. Usually a foster has first chance to adopt so if you fall in love, you can keep the bun.

best wishes.

We had a fluffy white angora bunny that was 3/4 hair. It is considerably more work than your average bunny. He needed combed out almost daily or it would mat, and a major haircut every 2 - 3 months.

But you can spin it.

(Actually, the lady we bought it from would spin the fur right off the rabbit sitting in her lap! I never mastered that.)

I had bunnies many years ago, before the child. We got a bunny a couple months ago (named him Napoleon). He initially shared quarters with the guinea pig which died recently. His cage is about 4x2 which I'd say is a little small. I try to make sure he gets some supervised running around time every day. They're really not cage animals like mice and other small rodents, they need to run around.

When the piggy died we switched from a cage full of pine bedding to an old 9x13 baking dish filled with pine bedding. Rabbit pee SMELLS so I empty this out every 2 days, 3 max. Much easier than cleaning out a whole cage (i just dump it out the bathroom window where it lands by the garden) and he's only missed the pan once with urine. Poops still occasionally have to be picked up from the cage bottom though, but they harden fast and don't really get mashed up in the fur.

I don't know what breed he is....he's an albino, and pretty large. Got him for free from the farm next door. A smaller breed like a mini lop would be more comfy in the smallish cage we have (originally bought to house two piggies).

The most important thing is to make sure the bunny is handled a LOT. Mine is so calm and used to people I think he could be a therapy animal. He's never even nibbled anyone since he was a small baby. My daughter holds him on his back like a baby and he loves it. I think he could stay there for hours. Ive heard bunnies can be skittish and want to avoid people, but when we open the cage he runs right up to the door for cuddles. So I think frequent handling really helps a lot.

Oh yeah...make sure you bunny proof any place bunny will be running around free in. They can bite through a cord with a single nibble. Ours destroyed an expensive pair of headphones in a fraction of a second, a remote controlled toy in another, and a lamp cord in another. Didn't get hurt, thankfully, but he could have.