Menu

Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra question

LauraGB

How does this book work?! I borrowed it from the library and it contains the Ben Kingsley cd. How do we know what track goes with which pages since it isn't actually a narration of the book itself? I can't find any indication on the pages. The first track seems to just jump right into the woodwind section, which is not what is on the first pages of the book, rather that section is several pages into the book. :confused:

So I'm not just nuts! How are you using it? Do you just read a two page spread in the book and listen to one track? I'm a bit unsure how to stretch it beyond about a week or two at most. TWTM suggests using it like that, but I'm afraid our music classes will be, well, very short!

I just got the book and was wondering the same thing. I had hoped that I could spend 30 minutes each Thursday on it, but I have no idea how to implement it. Yesterday we were running behind so we just listened to a few minutes and went over the four types of instruments. I have no idea how it's going to work for us on a weekly basis without any sort of plan. I'm a chronic planner. I'd love to hear how someone has put it into practice.

In the back of the book (page 50) it tells you how the music is arranged, so perhaps that might help you in deciding how to listen to it.

I'm not sure if you can still find DK's Young Person's Guide to Music, but it does list the CD track for each spread and that's very helpful! I believe it was OOP, but I happened to find a brand new copy of it on sale cheap at a store a couple of years ago (like a Half Price books, or some such). I don't now recall where, sorry, but I believe there are copies of it still floating around out there.

Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra was originally just a record. Anita Ganeri wrote a companion book to go along with the original recording. So the recording and the book may not jive. I know that you can pick up secondhand the recording of the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra for a song--no pun intended :lol:! (I did in a secondhand book shop).