Menu

If Your dc Are In A Book Group...

My 10 year old daughter is in a girls book club for the second year. All of the girls are roughly the same age. Some of the books they have read are My Side of the Mountain, The Hundred Dresses, Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, Misty of Chincoteague, Esperenza Rising, The Tale of Desperaux, and The Island of the Blue Dolphins.

My 8 year old boy was in a group that only met twice. The first book was A Dahl that I cannot for the life of me remember, it had a boys name in the title??? and the second book they read was The Indian in the Cupboard. He is now in another club and the first book that he will read is Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.

I am curious as to your curiosity??

e

Several years ago I started a mother/daughter book club. We meet monthly Sept thru May and once over the summer. For the Sept thru May meetings the moms and daughters discuss titles and choose together -- generally from what would be considered classics. For the summer meeting, the girls choose a fun book -- last yr it was Nancy Drew.

The moms/daughters sign up to host at their home, lead discussion (we all discuss but one pair leads), bring snack or bring/lead activity. The snacks and activities are related to the books in some way, too.

We've read some of the greats . . .

Jungle Book, Little Women, Patchwork Girl of Oz, The Prince and the Pauper, Secret Garden, Heidi, Little Princess, Little House, hmmm, I can't remember . . . there was a wonderful series of books called A Little Maid of . . . and they were all from different areas/times. Wonderful little books. Five Children and It, I think. Next month is A Christmas Carol by Dickens. This month the girls are all reading a different saint biography. Once last year we decided to choose a theme (WWII) and each girl and mom read a different book about or that took place during that event. In general, we don't like that very much (despite the fact we're doing it this month again!). I think it's harder for the person leading discussion.

hmmm . . .

We read some really great books but I just can't think of them and my girl is still asleep. If you'd like more titles, let me know.