Menu

Circle Time

Moxie

I just bought the ebook from Kendra over at Preschoolers and Peace http://www.preschoolersandpeace.com/ in an effort to make Circle Time a reality in our home. I love the idea, I just have never gotten off of my behind to get it done.

If you do Circle Time (or whatever you call it), what do you include? Any fun blog posts out there with ideas? I'm determined to start this on Monday.

I loved doing circle time with my dc!

We had a special candle that we would light and a saying that we recited while lighting the candle. We would do some songs or recite rhymes or I would read a poem, etc. I tried to keep it the same for at least a week so that they really found a rhythm with it and could learn the songs or poems. When we put out the candle we had another saying we recited. It was such a nice, calming start to the day. I am sorry that I don't recall the specifics very well, but I fondly remember the closeness and calmness it gave our mornings. Really, just be free with it and let it be whatever it is for your family. There really is no right or wrong way to do circle time. Have fun! :)

Guest Cindie2dds
I just bought the ebook from Kendra over at Preschoolers and Peace http://www.preschoolersandpeace.com/ in an effort to make Circle Time a reality in our home. I love the idea, I just have never gotten off of my behind to get it done.

If you do Circle Time (or whatever you call it), what do you include? Any fun blog posts out there with ideas? I'm determined to start this on Monday.

This is part of the curriculum in Oak Meadow. They have an opening poem, light the candle, finger play songs, spiritual time ( we pray as a family during this time ) closing poem, blow out candle. My kids really enjoy this time every morning. :)

HTH!

Here is a great resource for circle. It's $$ but worth it. It has all the songs, verses, beanbag activities, 'academic' activities etc divided seasonally as well as divided according to which area of physical mastery they work with (i.e vestibular for balance, proprioceptive for muscular, crossing the midline activities etc). It can be used for several years.

Lighting a candle is traditional as is saying an opening verse often referencing 'head, hands and heart'. Simple songs, short verses and fingerplays and simple movements that often correspond to the season form the bulk of circle. This can be followed by story time and then some kind of acting out of the story with beeswax or playsilks and small puppets or actual acting out of the story. This is the beginnings of narration.

Our Circle Time begins with a review of the Bible story from the previous night's family worship. (Next year I hope to change that to time spent on BSGFAA, but I can't handle adding that in right now.) Then we discuss prayer requests and pray about the day. We read a few poems from whatever book we're working through; right now we're using The Complete Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh. Then I do a read-aloud geared toward the younger dc, e.g., Charlotte's Web, and follow that with a read-aloud geared toward the older one, e.g, The Cat of Bubastes. I let the younger dc wander off during the last story if they choose.

Mentally, I consider listening to our Memory Disk to be part of Circle Time, but we actually are listening to that during breakfast time just to streamline a bit. On Fridays I replace the read alouds with picture study (first semester) and music study (second semester).

When I did home day care, I did circle time.

First of all, we prayed--all of us (both the children and me) were Jewish, so we did simple morning prayers together and sang most of them. If you are religious, then the prayers from your traditions (especially if they have a tune) are a great start.

Then we did finger plays and nursery rhymes--I got most of them from Baby Games: The Joyful Guide to Child's Play from Birth to Three Years by Elaine Martin. I also did a few Yiddish nursery rhymes that my father did with me when I was growing up. Another good resource (because it actually illustrates for you how to do the hand motions) is The Eentsy, Weentsy Spider: Fingerplays and Action Rhymes by Joanna Cole, Stephanie Calmenson, and Alan Tiegreen. There is also a CD/tape called Circle Time: Songs & Rhymes for the Very Young by Lisa Monet.

We exercised next using a book called Toddlerobics by Zita Newcome.

Edited by Shifra