Menu

Which Microscope?

chai

I know this has been discussed a lot on the old boards, but I haven't found a thread on it here yet.

I need to buy a microscope to use with Real Science 4 Kids biology. The suggested student microscope is only $15 and it sounds like it works fine for the experiments in the book.

Should I buy the cheap microscope now and wait to see what I will need later with higher-level courses, or should I splurge now for a better microscope? I plan for dd to take higher level science, but it's possible that she'll take CC classes for high school biology.

If I buy a better microscope, what should I consider in choosing it? What models have you used that you love?

I just got the Brock Magiscope for my kids for Christmas. We like it a lot. You might want to check it out.

Another one that many have recommended is the one from Sonlight.

I went with the Brock due to the fact that it seemed very sturdy, which is good since my kids are smaller (1st and 4th). Yet, the optics are good on this machine. Another plus for the Brock is that it has no cord or plug. You can take it anywhere.

Sorry I don't have a great deal of information for you. Just know what we have and that we like it!

hth

Thanks for the info. I don't know why those previous posts didn't come up in my search. I still don't know which route I'm going to take. I'm spending so much money on curricula this year, that I'm not real excited to spend even more on a microscope. I'll look at these suggestions and then flip a coin...:confused:

Thanks for the info. I don't know why those previous posts didn't come up in my search. I still don't know which route I'm going to take. I'm spending so much money on curricula this year, that I'm not real excited to spend even more on a microscope. I'll look at these suggestions and then flip a coin...:confused:

Too bad we don't live close, or we could share some resources! I'm not sure how we're going to get everything and we need a microscope, too.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/search.do?searchtype=simple&catg=1&simplesearchfor=microscope&x=0&y=0&simpleitemtype=1

I compared ours to my neighbor who got hers from Sonlight and it looks the same...to me!

We really like it.

I don't know which one you have, but of the 3 that showed up the Galileo microscope is assembled in the USA of USA components! I don't know how good it is, yet--is this what you have? Is Sam's Club it's own "store" or is it owned by another?

I don't know which one you have, but of the 3 that showed up the Galileo microscope is assembled in the USA of USA components! I don't know how good it is, yet--is this what you have? Is Sam's Club it's own "store" or is it owned by another?

I pulled up my history file and saw that with shipping it only cost $91

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=168938

Wal-mart owns Sam's Club, as for the online store I am sure they own that as well.

I might not have understood your question...sorry if this isn't what you were asking.

• 1 month later...

I finally ordered my microscope! :hurray:

I can't believe that it took me this long to make a decision! I've been debating whether to get a cheap duo-scope or a microscope that will last through high school. :boxing_smiley: I have learned far more than I really wanted to know about microscope features. I have shopped e-bay and a bunch of on-line sellers.

And the winner is: :thumbup:

the Sonlight microscope. It seems like it has the best features for the price. Now I have to decide which slides to buy.... :001_huh:

We have a couple of microscopes that have been given as gifts, obviously not very expensive ones. They weren't what I was wanting to use, but since we have them already I feel silly buying yet another one just so I get the one I want, lol. I hope the cheaper models are still worthwhile!

I ended up buying a used Bausch and Laumb. They don't even manufacture microscopes anymore, but at least it's not made in China, which was my chief concern. Plus, it was right there at the homeschool convention, so no shipping charges. It only has one eye piece, but since I have never been able to focus both eyes in a microscope, it won't be the worst thing (my theory is it's because I don't have a dominant eye. I am sure about the no dominant eye, but not sure if that's why I can't focus both eyes in a regular microscope.) Of course, nowadays they make them with screens, but that hardly seems any different than watching a DVD or seeing it online, IMO.