Menu

How long are you contagious w/H1N1?

My nephew was diagnosed w/H1N1 today and is on his 4th day w/symptoms. We are supposed to get together w/my brother's family this coming Sunday to celebrate my dad's birthday. He supposedly had it before a few weeks ago. (?) Anyways, even if he feels fine and is symptom free on Sunday, should we be around him? Of course other members in my brother's family could come down with it also between now and then.

Thanks for any input!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Ds had a positive Influenza A swab on Monday. The pediatrician said that he could go back to school when he was fever-free for 24 hours.

HIH,

Lisa

I think this is the common wisdom we've been passed down but it doesn't make any sense for some patients because some don't ever even have fever. DS6 (patient zero) had few symptoms (no fever) and a very mild case. DD5 had a fever for around 48 hours, pains and a mild cough (but persisted for 2 weeks). DS3 had same fever and pains but with a severe, wet cough that persisted for 3 weeks. I would not want a patient with h1n1 but free from fever coughing on me 4 days later, you know?

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy
check out this news article.

Well, that makes me feel better about my mostly gut-level theory. It also explains why it's pandemic...if people are being told to go back to school work before they should.

Dh and I both had it and we were told that we were contagious for up to 5 days AFTER the symptoms left. I never even had fever, so the old adage of waiting 24 hours post fever wouldn't even have been an option.

I can tell you from personal experience that this is one thing you do NOT want. I would stay far, far, FAR away from anyone that had it - and at least for a week afterwards. Just my .02

I can tell you from personal experience that this is one thing you do NOT want. I would stay far, far, FAR away from anyone that had it - and at least for a week afterwards. Just my .02

:iagree: I can't agree enough with this. Yes, it's mild for some people, but, as someone whose family is going through this right now, you DON'T want it!!! If you're in doubt, stay home. Please don't spread it. Three of my kids seem to have a very rough case. My dd finally seems to be coming out of it, after 5 days of lying on the couch coughing and coughing and coughing and wheezing. She has secondary infections in both her ears and bronchitis. Two of my other kids are following in her footsteps. Another ds just has a fever and body aches, but no cough.

I don't know how long you're contagious, but if you have ANY doubt, STAY HOME!!!!

Yes, you do NOT want this flu! All three of my boys have it...it's pretty nasty. We have not been sick besides minor sniffles in at least 4 years. I was sure we would escape this, but not so much!! It is rough...fever lasted two days for one of mine and we're on the third day with the other two. The cough is really bad and I am just praying that I don't get it and praying that it doesn't come back! I am glad that they got it all at once.

We are planning on staying in for while...not like us! I wouldn't want to pass it on or have them pick up anything else while their immune is down.

The original recommendations were 7 days post fever.

It is my opinion that they were toned down to 24h due to the pressures it would cause on the economy to have people home that long. :glare: We do know children can shed virus for some time after their fever is gone. They're just going to infect the next kid.....

Yes, you do NOT want this flu! All three of my boys have it...it's pretty nasty. We have not been sick besides minor sniffles in at least 4 years. I was sure we would escape this, but not so much!! It is rough...fever lasted two days for one of mine and we're on the third day with the other two. The cough is really bad and I am just praying that I don't get it and praying that it doesn't come back! I am glad that they got it all at once.

We are planning on staying in for while...not like us! I wouldn't want to pass it on or have them pick up anything else while their immune is down.

:grouphug: We're on day 5 with the girl. Day 2 for the boys. All four of them. Dh is on his way to the ER with our 13 yo right now. He's not breathing well at.all.