Menu

If you hadn't planned to get the H1N1 vaccine, but changed your mind....

why? I have been on the fence and rocking to both sides at times. As of today, I think I have changed my mind and I will be seeking out the vaccine for my kids. There have been a lot of things that have played into this decision. Now I just have to find it and hope I don't back out.

I was hoping that perhaps those of you who were first thinking "no" but then decided "yes" on the vaccine could give me your reasons as to what changed your mind.

(Another swine flu thread by Rebecca...I know ya'll are shocked! :ack2:)

I left the decision up to dh who is an RN. He is not on the fence at all in his opinions on this. He wants the children to get the vaccine. He is adamant that the risks of death or problems with the illness outweigh the risk of death or problems with the vaccine. I decided that I would blame myself more if something happened to my kids without the vaccine than with it (I think).

after praying, God gave me a peace.....especially after researching each and every "death" that has happened and has been directly related to the swine flu. I was convinced that with my children's underlying medical issues, I could no longer ignore an effective way that may help them to be less susceptible to this illness which can turn on a dime and take a child's life.

I understand the risks, but I would never forgive myself if they died from Swine flu and I hadnt done everything in my power to prevent it.

Now, I have to trust that if there is a problem down the road from giving them this vaccine that I won't be the only one in that boat and I trust God's provision over that....and I would be able to deal with the guilt of that far better than opting out of a chance to "prevent" an illness that causes many deaths...

Besides, the fact that I am not "against" vaccines....even flu shots "in general" helped sway me too.

However, this is a personal decision and I would never push my opinion on anyone else. each person has to have a peace about what they decide....

I left the decision up to dh who is an RN. He is not on the fence at all in his opinions on this. He wants the children to get the vaccine. He is adamant that the risks of death or problems with the illness outweigh the risk of death or problems with the vaccine. I decided that I would blame myself more if something happened to my kids without the vaccine than with it (I think).

LOl - the "I think" at the end says it all, doesn't it? Someone in a news article likened it to playing chess - you just never know the outcome until the game is over. Boy do :iagree:.

Thank you for sharing your experience Johanna. I agree with you - each has to make their own decision. My hsband and I both agree that the vaccine risk is likely minimal (especially if what "they" say is true and it is just like seasonal vaccine only with a different strain." I didn't think twice about getting my kids the seasonal flu shot for the last 5 years (which gave that cheerleader dystonia this year), but I have worried over this one excessively. In the end, I am realizing that I have let fear grip me and I am allowing things that make NO SENSE to me to scare me from getting the vaccine. We have relied on seasonal vaccines for a long time now for my kids and that helps some too. When I go back and remember why my kids started taking the flu vaccine (my older son was 4 and got both flu A and B and was sicker than I have ever seen a child), the choice is pretty easy.

Thank you for sharing your experience Johanna. I agree with you - each has to make their own decision. My hsband and I both agree that the vaccine risk is likely minimal (especially if what "they" say is true and it is just like seasonal vaccine only with a different strain." I didn't think twice about getting my kids the seasonal flu shot for the last 5 years (which gave that cheerleader dystonia this year), but I have worried over this one excessively. In the end, I am realizing that I have let fear grip me and I am allowing things that make NO SENSE to me to scare me from getting the vaccine. We have relied on seasonal vaccines for a long time now for my kids and that helps some too. When I go back and remember why my kids started taking the flu vaccine (my older son was 4 and got both flu A and B and was sicker than I have ever seen a child), the choice is pretty easy.

:iagree:

A kid was sent to school by his mom even though he was running a fever with a sore throat. I happened to notice the kid at lunch as he was shivering. He told me his sister has swine flu & he had fever(101) when he left home. Even then the mother had sent him to school. The boy had been in my girls class all morning. The boy is back after 10days & did confirm he also had the swine flu.

When you realise that there are some irresponsible parents out there, it was scary.

So for us the choice was the vaccine now or Tamiflu latter. We went with the vaccince!