Menu

Savannah, GA trip recommendations?

What are must-sees in the Savannah area?

We're bringing a GS troop in the summer to see the Juliette Gordon Low birthplace, and staying for 3 days.

What would local people recommend we not miss?

I'd also appreciate recommendations for lodging in the area - we'd love to find a hostel or cabings in the general area, but having no luck on line.

TIA!

Paula Deen's Restaurant. I love Lady and Sons. I haven't lived there in several years, but I love to go when I visit. The beach is lovely, but it can get pretty cold and windy this time of year so be prepared for that. There are tons of tours in the historic district as well. I hope you guys have a great time.

Oh! Take them to the Crab Shack! It's a seafood restaurant with THE best food, and very casual and kid friendly. The tables have a hole in the middle of them with a trash can under it and you just toss the crab shells, clam shells, shrimp shells, napkins (you'll need lots) and whatnot down the hole. They have a fun gator lagoon where the kids can put gator food on the end of a string on a long pole and feed the baby gators. I guarantee it will be memorable.

take them on one of those haunted tours, My hubby and I went on one just before I found out I was pregnant (like found out a few days later because I got sick on our trip) We knew many of the stories like about the civil war soldiers sleeping in the cemeteries from watching the History Channel

Being from Savannah, we locals avoid Paula Deen's place like the plague [no offense]. Mrs. Wilkes is much better [iMO] and vastly cheaper. Vinnie Van Go-Go's is an awesome pizza place. River Street is neat to walk around and look at stores and they have a 2 candy shops. :D

You can also tour Ft Pulaski, Savannah History Musuem [lots of train stuff] and Ships of the Sea Musuem. The last 2 are close to downtown by Juliette Low's house. Oatland Island is awesome but it might be chilly in Dec/Jan. Tybee Island might be windy but you can always do the lighthouse.

Being from Savannah, we locals avoid Paula Deen's place like the plague [no offense]. Mrs. Wilkes is much better [iMO] and vastly cheaper. Vinnie Van Go-Go's is an awesome pizza place. River Street is neat to walk around and look at stores and they have a 2 candy shops. :D

You can also tour Ft Pulaski, Savannah History Musuem [lots of train stuff] and Ships of the Sea Musuem. The last 2 are close to downtown by Juliette Low's house. Oatland Island is awesome but it might be chilly in Dec/Jan. Tybee Island might be windy but you can always do the lighthouse.

:iagree:

I would add The Mighty 8th Museum. We went just a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic! We had dog tags made before we went and there was an entire presentation on women aviators of WWII. It was a great experience.

http://www.mightyeighth.org/

We only had an afternoon in Savannah, on a road trip last year... but, I highly recommend taking a bus tour of the town to get a feel for it and learn a bit of history. Our tour guide was hilarious! There were several hop-on-hop-off bus tours to choose from.

Well, if you have the entire day, you can't beat Cumberland. It's over an hour to the ferry from Savannah and it is ALL DAY.

If you go, get off at the historic area and take the guided tour with the interpretive ranger. I can't even begin to tell you how good the tour is. They will take you to the far end of the ruins and get you going in the right direction to cross the boardwalk over the dunes. You can then hike down the beach about a mile and cross over the dunes again to the campground. Oh, that to me was one of the most breathtaking coastal environments I have ever seen! The oaks twist and turn and it looks like you just stepped into a Tolkien novel. Hands down there is nowhere better to climb trees! Then you have another 1/2 mile walk back to the ferry stop. If you time it right there are ranger programs there as well.

There is a fair amount of walking but it is spread out over the course of the entire day. You have to pack in/pack out everything, including water. There are bathroom areas in the far end of the historic district and in the campground. The first time I went I was a little intimidated by this but it's not bad at all. There is also a nice area for picnicing at the end of the historic district. The bathrooms are there and there are picnic tables. It is the perfect place and time for lunch after the ranger tour.

You can't go wrong with Cumberland Island. It is one of my favorite places. It is beautiful in a way that I don't have words for. Every time I have ever been, I have been able to see the wild horses, either at the ruins or on the beach.

Let me know if you have any questions. I love Cumberland Island!:lol: