Menu

Help with math acceleration

Dinsfamily

My ds-5 is racing through math texts. He's already finished Horizons K and Singapore 1A, Horizons 1 isn't challenging at all and he's racing through CWP 1. It's only November of Kindergarten, so I'm a little nervous. I've sort of held him back curriculum-wise because I'm afraid of gaps. He tested into Horizons 2, but I didn't feel comfortable skipping K and 1. However, those gaps (skip counting, time, etc.) I was afraid of have been intuitive for him and he really didn't need any instruction at all. We only do about 20 mins of math a day and he's always asking for more.

How do all of you proceed with mathy kids? Do I just let him go and finish 3 levels of math this year? Do I slow him down so that he doesn't get to algebra too quickly?

TIA,

I let dd go as fast as she was capable of. We did two different math programs, plus side supplements, and well, she's going to start algebra in a couple of weeks. At age 9. I know what is often said about starting algebra before 7th or 8th grade, but for us, this is the right decision. While she's good at arithmetic, she intuitively gets more algebraic concepts. If that weren't the case, yes, I'd find more things to supplement until she got older. Since it is, though, she's going to algebra one material, and then we'll pause and play with some of the Art of Problem Solving texts before going forward in the "traditional" sequence.

So - I would say let him go. Add in Challenge Math, Math Olympiad-type problems, MEP. Get toys like a soma cube and the towers of hanoi.

HTH

My 7 year old is finishing up Singapore 3B in a couple of weeks. I have added in MEP, games, Calculus for Young People, and a few other odds and ends. It hasn't slowed him down. I feel confident he is getting the concepts and that the pace is good.

So basically, add in more interesting challenge problems and let him work at his own pace. Why not? Would you tell him to stop reading 6th grade books if he could because he is only in 1st grade? I wouldn't.

What do you think of that "Calculus for Young People"?

Bill

My 7 year old is finishing up Singapore 3B in a couple of weeks. I have added in MEP, games, Calculus for Young People, and a few other odds and ends. It hasn't slowed him down. I feel confident he is getting the concepts and that the pace is good.

So basically, add in more interesting challenge problems and let him work at his own pace. Why not? Would you tell him to stop reading 6th grade books if he could because he is only in 1st grade? I wouldn't.

Good point. My 3yo is starting to read and I'm not hiding the books that are above his level...which would be all books age-wise. I never thought about it that way. I keep getting caught in this "they have to be in 7th grade to understand Algebra" train-of-thought.

I've recently found that he loves logic and math puzzles (thanks to Singapore PM), so I might add some of those. That Calculus for Young People sounds intriguing. I need to research some other fun extra-curricular math books for him. I'm sure there's a thread around here somewhere about that, right?

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'd love to hear more.

I've never heard the argument about waiting until 7th for algebra. What's that about? We do whatever our kids are capable of doing no matter what level it is (as long as it's not "too" out there... for example... a grade schooler on a high school reading level would have no interest in books about dating).

I keep getting caught in this "they have to be in 7th grade to understand Algebra" train-of-thought.

It's been no problem at all for DS. On the other hand I've known really bright kids who were really good at math and weren't ready for algebra early... so you can't always guess ahead of time! But I'd still let him run through arithmetic as fast as he wants.

Definitely keep up the CWP -- those are really excellent -- and patchfire named one of my favorite problem solving supplements (Math Olympiad) for the late-elementary levels. Their website is www.moems.org and if you can get a team together they do allow homeschoolers. Some others are MathCounts (6th-8th grade only, and careful with gradeskipping here because they do cut you off after 3 years!), AMC tests, and basically any other problem solving resource you can find. That's my only caveat to accelerating -- don't let it be at the expense of problem solving skills!! And when you do get to algebra, that's a really good time to slow down and make sure it's absolutely cemented. But before that? Let him run with it. :)

I think Calculus for Young People will last us a long time. There is a lot of stuff in it. It is a lot of playing around with math.

I think it is generally fun and interesting (and something different). Sometimes it is a bit disorganized. I'm not sure where the author is going with certain things (but that could just be me).

I've seen it and been curious. But you're the first person I recall using it.

Bill

Similar to what others have said. We did two programs (Horizons as our main, and Singapore as our secondary), added in lots of supplements (Singapore supplements, Zaccaro's Challenge Math books, Number Devil, RS card games, Muggins Math, Penrose the Mathematical Cat, Math Olympiad)...

While ds was flying at age 5, I did find that he slowed a little as time went on. We started algebra just before he turned 10. We're finding it tough! :) But it's a good challenge...

Even doing algebra 1 at this age (we're finishing up chapter 4 of 12, so we're keeping up the pace of the middle / high school syllabus I'm following -- at least so far), there are options out there as we move forward. There are enough Art of Problem Solving books (and classes, thank goodness -- I'm struggling for the first time with math I only vaguely remember how to do, and there's a difference between being able to stumble through and really teaching someone else well) to keep us occupied for many, many years. Other things too...

Don't worry too much about getting ahead now. You'll find things to keep him learning. :)

I've never heard the argument about waiting until 7th for algebra. What's that about? We do whatever our kids are capable of doing no matter what level it is (as long as it's not "too" out there... for example... a grade schooler on a high school reading level would have no interest in books about dating).

I've read several times (on boards, not in books) that kids are usually not developmentally ready for the abstract thinking in algebra until at least 12. I'm being more challenged to let my ds's ability dictate whether he's ready for algebra or not. I guess time will tell. I'm glad there are so many BTDT parents on this board.

I have added in MEP, games, Calculus for Young People, and a few other odds and ends.

This is one of the programs I've had my eye on as both my DH and I loved, loved, loved calculus.

Right now my oldest is finishing up Right Start C and I haven't decided what we'll do after that. I'm leaning towards Singapore supplemented with the Right Start Activities for the AL Abacus and maybe Life of Fred. Also, I'm waiting on my order of Hands-On Equations Verbal Problems Book. She loved the main HOE program but I didn't realize that the set I originally bought didn't include the word problems book.

Edited by Crimson Wife
deleted redundent question

When to start Algebra varies. With math or logic gifted dc, it can be quite early, but not necessarily. Most dc aren't. Jann in TX knows a fair bit about it on the hs board (she's a certified math teacher.)

There is also Algebra and then Algebra. I wouldn't put them all in the same boat. For example, Gelfand's as a lot more theory than most and some very, very long problems; some are even tough for math majors. That one most dc ought to wait until 13 or so to do, unless they have a lot of patience. Mine tend to start Algebra at c. 11 so far; they're not highly motivated in math, so that's not to say that my eldest couldn't have started earlier, but she hated math with a passion for a long time.

But as for the readiness of dc to take Algebra, this forum isn't the first place I've heard that most dc aren't ready early. It all depends on when your dc's logic center of the brain is developing. The average age (and this is not directly related to IQ) is around 13. Some are younger; some are older. This same concept also appears in sports with game smarts, knowing where to be on the field, etc. This is why dc who start soccer at 7 and dc who start at 11 usually level out by 14. Perhaps a better illustration is a fielder in baseball. In order to catch a ball, you have to be judging where the ball is going to come down as it's flying through the air at the same time that you're running, etc, etc. This is why younger fielders miss so many balls. Or in Judo. Dd's sensai (she started this year) tried to explain it to me, but I'm not a jock. I may not be explaining this particularly well at the moment, but suffice to say that dc's brains are not completely wired until they are already adults (even gifted dc in some areas), and that there isn't one exact time when everything develops for every child. However, gifted dc often have their brains developing more rapidly in certain areas, which is why you have some dc who are ready for college at 9, 10 or 11. Not all pg kids are, of course, because even pg people aren't always that motivated or predictable :).

My ds-5 is racing through math texts. He's already finished Horizons K and Singapore 1A, Horizons 1 isn't challenging at all and he's racing through CWP 1. It's only November of Kindergarten, so I'm a little nervous. I've sort of held him back curriculum-wise because I'm afraid of gaps. He tested into Horizons 2, but I didn't feel comfortable skipping K and 1. However, those gaps (skip counting, time, etc.) I was afraid of have been intuitive for him and he really didn't need any instruction at all. We only do about 20 mins of math a day and he's always asking for more.

How do all of you proceed with mathy kids? Do I just let him go and finish 3 levels of math this year? Do I slow him down so that he doesn't get to algebra too quickly?

TIA,

We're in the same boat over here. I was going to take a month or so to do Singapore 1A but he's going to have finished it in 4 sessions. His resource teacher (charter school for homeschooled kids) suggested just skipping ahead and forgetting about 1A, but it's good review. Also, he is not very good at handwritting and as the books go up in grades, they'll demand more of his writing skills. He's only 5 and writes like a 5 year old :p even though he's good at math.

There is also Algebra and then Algebra. I wouldn't put them all in the same boat. For example, Gelfand's as a lot more theory than most and some very, very long problems; some are even tough for math majors. That one most dc ought to wait until 13 or so to do, unless they have a lot of patience.

I'm just going to follow you around the boards saying "I agree/ me too/ absolutely" LOL

Next comes "There's Statistics and then there's Statistics"... What they stick in most elementary math curricula (mean/median/mode) is the former, and the latter has to wait until you've got some fluency with logarithmic transformations. :D But that's a whole other soapbox... lol...

This has been such a weight off my shoulders. I mean, do you really want to tell your ds that he can't do anymore math today. "No, I mean it, stop learning" :) I need to get my head out of the typical path of math courses. I'm seeing that there is so much out there.

Some of this stems from my own history. There were 4 of us in the 6th grade that the advanced math teacher couldn't deal with, so he sent us to the library during math to finish the book at our own pace. I think we were done as a group by October. I didn't want to run out of things for my ds to do before he was ready for Algebra.

We're in the same boat over here. I was going to take a month or so to do Singapore 1A but he's going to have finished it in 4 sessions. His resource teacher (charter school for homeschooled kids) suggested just skipping ahead and forgetting about 1A, but it's good review. Also, he is not very good at handwritting and as the books go up in grades, they'll demand more of his writing skills. He's only 5 and writes like a 5 year old :p even though he's good at math.

My ds is definitely not advanced with writing either :001_huh:. That's one reason he likes Singapore so much. There's not that much writing...at least in 1A/B. I haven't seen 2A/B yet. Horizons K and 1 have so much more. I will sometimes write the answers down for him when he wants to do it, but is tired of writing.

Definitely keep up the CWP -- those are really excellent

Couldn't quit unless I want a revolt on my hands. Ds loves word problems. I went ahead and bought all 6 books, cut the binding, and put the pages in page protectors. I'll be able to use them for all of my boys. I kept hearing about how great they were and looking through now, I can see the problem solving skills they'll need to finish CWP 6.

Now oddly I never was much of a math whiz, but in college I took several statistics courses and loved them. Go figure. ;)

I was very mathy in school and didn't really like statistics in college :D. Too bad it was part of my major so I had to take a few of classes anyway. My stats instructor (and my advisor) had a PhD in stats and always tried to show me how great it was. I'm much more of an algebra/calculus type.

If your DS likes the CWP books, definitely look into getting him the Kumon Word Problems workbooks. They're a bit easier than the Singapore series so you may want to go up a grade level. For example, my DD is working through the Grade 2 Singapore CWP book and the Grade 3 Kumon Word Problems book.

How do all of you proceed with mathy kids? Do I just let him go and finish 3 levels of math this year? Do I slow him down so that he doesn't get to algebra too quickly? TIA,

At 6, we went to the PC and ds did all the computer math/logic games he wanted: MathBlaster, ClueFinders, Zoombinis, PIt Droids, Zoo Tycoon. Codes and board games were a lot of fun. For first grade he asked to learn more about multiplication, so we did. By the time 3rd came, he was ready for book/pencil so we went to Singapore Math 3 and haven't looked back. He decided not to get too far ahead of school (we are afterschoolers) since he wanted to stay with his friends, so we did MathCounts and other problem solving material once done with SM. It's been fun. School turned out to do so little in Grades 5- 7 that he's glad he did more at home; gave him something to think about during school lectures and of course made science easy. Enjoy the ride; it's precious to see how these minds work.

I'm just going to follow you around the boards saying "I agree/ me too/ absolutely" LOL

Next comes "There's Statistics and then there's Statistics"... What they stick in most elementary math curricula (mean/median/mode) is the former, and the latter has to wait until you've got some fluency with logarithmic transformations. :D But that's a whole other soapbox... lol...

:lol::lol::lol: The fact is, we could say that about many areas of math. eg problem solvling. When I see what my younger two solve with simple arithmetic in SM & CWP compared to what my eldest did with Saxon (she tried SM, but wanted to stick with Saxon until Algebra), there is a huge difference in the word problem area. Not to mention some of the things my middle dd is doing with the Russian math she's doing. At times she's given a paragraph with a bunch of information and she has to write her own problem, but they haven't told her what she should find out with the given information. This means she is even making up the word problem part of it.

If your DS likes the CWP books, definitely look into getting him the Kumon Word Problems workbooks. They're a bit easier than the Singapore series so you may want to go up a grade level. For example, my DD is working through the Grade 2 Singapore CWP book and the Grade 3 Kumon Word Problems book.

I just wrote a post on my blog about my ds blowing my CWP schedule out of the water. He doesn't want to do 1 pg/day, he wants to do 5! I don't want him to get ahead of the PM topics, so I'll check out the Kumon books to fill in. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
Dinsfamily-

I ordered the Prufrock Press catalog and saw this math book that really looks exciting. I thought to get it for my dd when the time comes and thought I should share it with you because it sounds like it may be interesting to D-Man:

http://www.prufrock.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=201

Let me know what you think!

This looks GREAT!! I just put some CTC math and CT books on D-Man's Christmas list, but I'll have to add this one. Looking at the samples it looks like just the kind of book that he'd enjoy doing. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I've seen the name Zaccaro in passing on the boards, but hadn't investigated. I'd like an adult version of this book for myself. I'll have to poke around the site. :D

This looks GREAT!! I just put some CTC math and CT books on D-Man's Christmas list, but I'll have to add this one. Looking at the samples it looks like just the kind of book that he'd enjoy doing. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I've seen the name Zaccaro in passing on the boards, but hadn't investigated. I'd like an adult version of this book for myself. I'll have to poke around the site. :D

Cool! Which CTC books are you looking at? DD is working through Math Reasoning Level A and I have Level B waiting too! I also have the Can You Find Me? book and the Hands On Thinking Skills.

If you like CTC, enter the success story drawing! I did and won a $50 gift certificate - which is how I "bought" the Math Level B and the Can You Find Me? book!

When to start Algebra varies. With math or logic gifted dc, it can be quite early, but not necessarily. Most dc aren't. Jann in TX knows a fair bit about it on the hs board (she's a certified math teacher.)

There is also Algebra and then Algebra. I wouldn't put them all in the same boat.

Agreeing, but a question. Let's assume a younger child isn't sufficiently "mature" for Algebra. Does the child never-the-less benefit from being exposed to Algebra?

It seems some early math programs introduce "algebraic" methods early (solving for the unknown variable, substituting "letters" or other symbols for numerical values, and the like). Then there are "manipulative-based" programs like "Hands-On-Equations" (something I haven't used yet, but it intrigues me) that introduce Algebra (rather than Algebra) during the grammar stage.

So what about it? If one is going to one day encounter proof and theory in Gelfand's, is it better to have had some "exposure" to simpler forms of Algebraic thinking and notation earlier in life?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
typo

Agreeing, but a question. Let's assume a younger child isn't sufficiently "mature" for Algebra. Does the child never-the-less benefit from being exposed to Algebra?

It seems some early math programs introduce "algebraic" methods easy (solving for the unknown variable, substituting "letters" or other symbols for numerical values, and the like). Then there are "manipulative-based" programs like "Hands-On-Equations" (something I haven't used yet, but it intrigues me) that introduce Algebra (rather than Algebra) during the grammar stage.

So what about it? If one is going to one day encounter proof and theory in Gelfand's, is it better to have had some "exposure" to simpler forms of Algebraic thinking and notation earlier in life?

Bill

I think so, and, in fact, that's exactly what we do. My dc do Algebra early, and then redo it with Algebra. Okay, only one has done that so far, but I'm planning on doing the same thing for the other two In fact, I think it helps greatly to have some of that out of the way so that dc can learn the theory, etc, more easily.

We're approaching Chemistry & Physics similarly in that my dd is doing conceptual courses in them with labs first, and then will do the hard, mathy advanced courses later, since there are dc who get A's in Chem, can do the math well, but don't understand what they're getting A's in.

I can only answer for my situation with DD the Elder (7). Basic algebra like reducing like terms, solving equations for a variable (even simple simultaneous equations) are useful skills, and we touch on them as needed with other materials. The Zaccaro books past Primary Challenge Math all contain some very basic algebra. FWIW, I did high school math in Canada, and we didn't have a the strict division of subjects that you see in the US until the final year (it still rather baffles me why basic math is chopped up this way); it just seems natural to me to expand a bit here or there as needed.

Well, for a math adept kid, it's not so much exposure as its being a logical extension, KWIM? After all, Singapore bar diagrams are essentially algebra problems, using a portion of a box to represent x. After DD the Elder independently made the connexion, she refused to go back to bar diagrams. Fair enough... she can still work the problems.

I think so, and, in fact, that's exactly what we do. My dc do Algebra early, and then redo it with Algebra. Okay, only one has done that so far, but I'm planning on doing the same thing for the other two In fact, I think it helps greatly to have some of that out of the way so that dc can learn the theory, etc, more easily.

We're approaching Chemistry & Physics similarly in that my dd is doing conceptual courses in them with labs first, and then will do the hard, mathy advanced courses later, since there are dc who get A's in Chem, can do the math well, but don't understand what they're getting A's in.

I was one of those kids who aced high school chemistry because I could do the math, but our teacher (who got fired at the end of the year) didn't teach us many concepts. Unfortunately, I had a rude awakening in my college chemistry class. Thankfully, my dc can benefit from it.

I feel a lot better about my ds's math progression now that I know there's algebra and algebra. It makes sense for us to start with an easy algebra course and work through it at his pace and save the tougher algebra concepts for when he's matured a bit. We might whiz right through both levels of algebra if he's ready or take it slow. Either way, I feel good about his current pace now that I know there are options.

Cool! Which CTC books are you looking at? DD is working through Math Reasoning Level A and I have Level B waiting too! I also have the Can You Find Me? book and the Hands On Thinking Skills.

If you like CTC, enter the success story drawing! I did and won a $50 gift certificate - which is how I "bought" the Math Level B and the Can You Find Me? book!

I put the Math Reasoning, Math Analogies, Mind Benders, Can You Find Me?, and Thinker Doodles on his list. They would be for fun and not school. He loves puzzles...especially math puzzles, so I just wanted to get him some books that he could do whenever he wants.

I feel a lot better about my ds's math progression now that I know there's algebra and algebra. It makes sense for us to start with an easy algebra course and work through it at his pace and save the tougher algebra concepts for when he's matured a bit. We might whiz right through both levels of algebra if he's ready or take it slow. Either way, I feel good about his current pace now that I know there are options.

I have a young DD who is ahead in math also. Our opinion is about the same as you've outlined here. DD is very happy with the pace, and getting a thorough mathematical education. Because of her age, she gets to study so many other branches of math along the way.

I put the Math Reasoning, Math Analogies, Mind Benders, Can You Find Me?, and Thinker Doodles on his list. They would be for fun and not school. He loves puzzles...especially math puzzles, so I just wanted to get him some books that he could do whenever he wants.

We supplement with Math Reasoning books and the rest of more for "fun" too! :tongue_smilie:

Some math books just for fun when they're ready to read them (which may be now, depending on your dc) are the Murderous Maths books. I bought the entire set, but we gave some to neices & nephews (although my dc managed to find and read them first!) for the holidays. Well, my mother took them back with her for the holidays. There's a book that my dc both enjoyed for the humour and the math & found offensive (due to religious beliefs) that yours might like called The Number Devil. We borrowed that one from the library.

:lol::lol::lol: The fact is, we could say that about many areas of math. eg problem solvling. When I see what my younger two solve with simple arithmetic in SM & CWP compared to what my eldest did with Saxon (she tried SM, but wanted to stick with Saxon until Algebra), there is a huge difference in the word problem area. Not to mention some of the things my middle dd is doing with the Russian math she's doing. At times she's given a paragraph with a bunch of information and she has to write her own problem, but they haven't told her what she should find out with the given information. This means she is even making up the word problem part of it.

Hi Karin, I'm new to this thread but read it with interest. So are you saying that Saxon and Russian Math offers higher complexity problem solving than CWP? I've often heard CWP referenced as challenging - so I'm curious.

Hi Karin, I'm new to this thread but read it with interest. So are you saying that Saxon and Russian Math offers higher complexity problem solving than CWP? I've often heard CWP referenced as challenging - so I'm curious.

No, Saxon does NOT offer higher complexity of problem solving, and I thought the word problems one of the weakest areas of Saxon. Russian Math from Perpendicular Press offers complex problems of a somewhat different nature than CWP, and we have been using this since my second dd was finished with SM 6B shortly before she turned 11, but was not ready for Algebra even though she had the arithmetic skills necessary. However, my eldest dd wanted to stick with Saxon even though she tried Singapore Math one year. With my younger two we're doing Singapore Math (well, one has finished).

• 2 weeks later...

We're using CLE with Dot, and because I was concerned there would be gaps I chose to start her in book one of the 100 level even though I looked through it and determined that except for two concepts, she already knew EVERYTHING in that lightunit. Ditto for books two and three - she knew more than half of the material in each before opening the books. What I *did* do, was skip a large number of the review exercises and do two or three (or four or five, depending on what Dot wanted that day lol) lessons a day. She finished the first lightunit in one week. The second took 8 days. The third took longer, but we didn't do math every day. I think we spent maybe 9 or 10 actual school days on 103, and that has continued to present. (She's in the first 1/3 of LU 106 now.)

CLE starts super duper easy (Dot could have easily handled LU 101 and LU 102 at three or four years old) but ramps up pretty quickly after that. I'd suggest buying the teacher guide and taking a look. The LUs are only $3.10, so you can even get the first few books and see if they'll work for you without spending a lot of money.

I am going around and around on this myself. again. DS is almost 8, is finishing up EPGY level 3, restarted LOF now that he has long division down, and does Logic puzzles as schoolwork. But he is doing functions and graphing lines from these functions (y=mx+b) for fun. He is quite good with abstract math it seems to me. I have Zacarro's Challenge Math in my amazon shopping cart. I need for him to engage in problem solving that is more applicable rather than abstract.

Dinsfamily-

I ordered the Prufrock Press catalog and saw this math book that really looks exciting. I thought to get it for my dd when the time comes and thought I should share it with you because it sounds like it may be interesting to D-Man:

http://www.prufrock.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=201

Let me know what you think!

hi Dinsfamily-

Just wondered if you ordered that Primary Grade Challenge Math...

I am interested to hear how it is!! I'm looking to get it for the fall, I think.