Menu

Cam anyone tell me about K12 history?

thundersweet

The reading for the 3rd grade program is online.

We have only used the K program. My son and I both loved it. But from what I understand, the 1-4 program is similar to SOTW.

You can call K12 and get a demo account. This will allow you to access all of their courses for a short period of time.

The K-4 program was written by Susan Wise Bauer -- so it is a LOT like SOTW.

In grades K-3 or 4 (I don't remember 4 as much), there is a teacher-read portion along with either a student read or flim-strip like (with audio) reading room. The pages include drawings, projects, etc... and they ask the child to do an oral or written or picture narration after each lesson. You do history about 3x a week, and can easily complete it. They also include additional books and readings as part of this. There are also "games" for reviewing key points.

The 5th grade program uses Hakim's History of US series, and is 5 days a week. There is still a bunch online (flash cards, maps, interactive games, etc.)

If you were thinking of purchasing K12 history, I would consider just buying STOW and the Hakim series on U.S. History. It would be cheaper:)

My ds uses K12 through a public cyber charter school. I enjoy the history, but a lot of it seems to be almost verbatim out of SWB's STOW. Therefore, if money is an issue, then I would just get STOW series:) I believe that the content would be just as thorough especially since SWB wrote it from my understanding.

Now the advantage of the K12 is that it does have some interactive activities to re-enforce the material and audio buttons as a pronunciation guide for the challenging names;) However, again, if you want to save money, just get her books and if you want her activity books as well. Also, I have found that the web site http://www.dictionary.com has audio buttons for pronunciation of many names from history for free.

My ds uses K12 through a public cyber charter school. I enjoy the history, but a lot of it seems to be almost verbatim out of SWB's STOW.

Thank you for posting on this. We used K12 via charter and it was always a challenge to teach multiple levels of history in a large family (sharing computers between 5 grade levels and me trying to read online subjects to 2 poor readers). If I had known this info. 3 weeks ago, 2 of my boys might still be homeschooled :(

Do you have any idea which SOTW text would correspond with K12's History 4?

Thanks again,

I believe that SOTW 4 would coorespond to K12's History 4. It's been several years, but from what I recall, SWB wrote the first 2 (maybe 3) years of K12's History but then they had a "parting of ways". So, while I remember 1st and 2nd gr. History having a SOTW "feel", I can't recall if 3rd or 4th did as well, kwim? Anyway...K12 is expensive if not through a charter AND it was rather difficult to teach multiple levels of History at once even thought I did combine my 2 youngest boys at that time. I really did like the program, though. Grade 5 and 6 uses Hakim's books and while I did not like that Hakim came at it from an evolutionist standpoint...I really did like her books and still use them now. We just omit the "millions of years ago" section...just our preference.