Menu

Phonics Road users: What should I do in K to prep for level 1?

FairProspects

What language arts should I work on in K to prep for Phonics Road level 1 in 1st grade next year? Does ds need to know phonograms? Anything else?

We just started AAS level 1 after trying tons of different things (seems to be working best so far, but we are only on step 4), would that be enough prep if it is all we do? We are having a really hard time with teaching blending - it is just taking forever and not clicking, so I don't want to move on, but I'm wondering what we can work on this year while waiting for Phonics Road. Suggestions from those who have used it?

What language arts should I work on in K to prep for Phonics Road level 1 in 1st grade next year? Does ds need to know phonograms? Anything else?

We just started AAS level 1 after trying tons of different things (seems to be working best so far, but we are only on step 4), would that be enough prep if it is all we do? We are having a really hard time with teaching blending - it is just taking forever and not clicking, so I don't want to move on, but I'm wondering what we can work on this year while waiting for Phonics Road. Suggestions from those who have used it?

I'm using PR with dd8 and will be using it next year for dd5, so I'm right with you. I think she'd be okay with memorizin the phonograms, but not the writing so I thought I'd wait until first grade.

I'm just continuing using our phonics book, The Readng Lesson. I don't know that it's necessarily good preparation for PR, but I don't want to stagnate this year waiting, and want to continue working on reading. I started PR with an older child who's a strong reader and we're working at a quicker pace and it's going nicely. So I figure if I continue with what I'm already doing with dd5, she'll just jump in next year where she is and be fine.

Doubt I was helpful at all, but maybe Tina can chime in. She's been using it for years.

Blessings,

Lisa

I hope Tina chimes in but here is my experience so far. Ds6 is using PR right now. He is also using The Reading Lesson for phonics and learning to read. He is having difficulty with simple CVC words but getting better. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with PR, if anything, but we got to the r controlled vowels (er, ir, ur, ear, wor) and he can't remember them. If I put the AAS letter tiles in front of him and ask him what the sound is, he can say it...but if I say write a sound for 'er" like in the word 'her", he's stumped. Can't get it. I'm dumping PR for him right now, using AAS and Reading Lesson and revisiting PR after Christmas. OTOH, my ds8 is doing very well with it. He already knew a lot of the sounds, but even the new ones he is getting. Continue with what you are doing and just go slowly with PR.

I'm using PR with my two Kers, but they're on the older end, both turning six this fall. My ds has a hard time recalling some of the phonograms in isolation (on the cards), but uses and marks them correctly when spelling. My other K student is exactly the opposite. PR is working well for both of them, stretching them but not pushing too much. They also are using OPG and are finishing up the long vowel sections. The amount of writing has not been an issue at all so far (but then, we're only in week 7).

HTH!

I'm right with you. I have a true first grader using level one, then a kinder who was not quite ready this year. My kinder was using "Blend Phonics" (from DonPotter's website) and got past CVC words and blending became a problem. So today I pulled out AAS level one with him and we will use that for a while. The way they use the tokens to sound out the words really helped my first grader last year,even though we only used about half the book before we started PR. I will go back to blend phonics with my kinder after he gets good at separating the sounds in a word, because I really like that it covers most of the phonograms PR uses in about 4 months. I teach all phonograms the phonics road way with anything I use. So this was for my k'er.

My 4yo preschooler, is using "Language Lessons for Little Ones" and as we learn new letters I teach her the correct phonogram, as a matter of fact I teach the sound over the letter name. Next year she will go to Blend Phonics and then on to Phonics Road. I say Blend Phonic because it is much more consise in teaching the sounds and blends vs AAS which only teaches about six phonogram teams for level one.

Clear as mud? Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me more or to clarify.

If you're looking for a program, I have not used, but heard well spoken of, this program.

Otherwise, I would focus on a slow and gentle learning of the phonics. Follow the introduction in year 1. Take as long as necessary to get through them. Maybe at 1/4 speed, 1/2 speed, until mastery comes along.

In the meantime, focus K on math, art, learning your school routine what behaviors will be different b/c of school. Exercises and activities that encourage coordination will increase their motor skills and prepare them for writing.

I know it's hard to wait out that extra year!

I hope Tina chimes in but here is my experience so far. Ds6 is using PR right now. He is also using The Reading Lesson for phonics and learning to read. He is having difficulty with simple CVC words but getting better. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with PR, if anything, but we got to the r controlled vowels (er, ir, ur, ear, wor) and he can't remember them. If I put the AAS letter tiles in front of him and ask him what the sound is, he can say it...but if I say write a sound for 'er" like in the word 'her", he's stumped. Can't get it. I'm dumping PR for him right now, using AAS and Reading Lesson and revisiting PR after Christmas. OTOH, my ds8 is doing very well with it. He already knew a lot of the sounds, but even the new ones he is getting. Continue with what you are doing and just go slowly with PR.

I had to write out the sentence (Her girls hurry.....) on the board at the beginning of every lesson for about 2 weeks before they remembered. I left it up there, so as we worked through the spelling list, I would remind themk, "/er/ hurry", they would "look it up" using the board, then they could tell me. It stuck and now we've passed that hump! Now if they'd just realize they can spell, it would be fabuloso!