Menu

Should I get my 2yo ds in this program or not?

My 2yo ds is having troubles with his speech development. He just can't seem to learn more than 5-6 consonant sounds. My BIL has told me about a free program through the county PS system. BIL said a friend of his used it with his (friend's) son with great results. He said it's free and they even come to your house for therapy sessions.

I would call today for an evaluation, but I hesitate to have any dealings with the ps system. Dd will obviously be there when he has evaluations/therapy, so they will know we hs (dd is way too tall to pass for a preschooler).

So, do I or don't I? Can I get an evaluation anywhere else for free? Anyone BTDT with a similar circumstance?

Thanks!

We have received speech thru the schools with 2 kids. They are not the enemy. You pay taxes and they exist to serve you- take advantage of the services they provide.

At age 2 the child is eligible for Early Intervention which is not through the schools actually. Once your child is 3 the schools will provice the therapy or evaluations.

It depends on your state what the program is called but its still free and should absolutely be used if you have concerns.

YMMV, but I looked into this in TX with my oldest son when he was 3. I was a new homeschooler with my older one and went through the steps, etc., and when it came down to the paperwork, I just had no peace about the wording. This has been 8 years ago, so my memory is not dead-on with the thing. I seem to remember the wording saying something along the lines that if they had one thing they wanted to do and you as the parent chose not to follow their guidelines, then they would have a right to take measures to push you to comply and do the "best thing for your child" even if you, the parent, didn't like that "best thing". It was worded more mildly than that but left dh & I with the feeling that once we stepped into it they might have more control than we liked. I didn't sign up. I know many, though, who did and really felt it was beneficial. I wound up pursuing some things on my own, as my child's issues were very mild, took him back to the same evaluation 2 years later and they told me there would be no need to go further and that any speech problems had been worked out.

I do agree with calandalsmom that they aren't your enemy and are there to serve you. I do know others who used it and liked it. It was a personal decision on our part where the wording on those papers just made me very uncomfortable.

We utilized speech therapy through the schools for my 7 year old. He actually went to a preschool program 2 1/2 hours a day every day. They knew from the start that I intended to homeschool him when he reached kindergarten. It was never a problem. In fact, when it came to rewrite his IEP at the end of his last year of preschool, they wrote that he would be transferring to homeschool and that he'd continue receiving speech therapy at his home school (meaning the school he would have been going to had he been in public school).

The whole time, they knew I was homeschooling my oldest as well. I never had anything but positive comments about homeschooling. But, then again, we had an awesome teacher and awesome speech therapists at our schools.

My 2yo ds is having troubles with his speech development. He just can't seem to learn more than 5-6 consonant sounds. My BIL has told me about a free program through the county PS system. BIL said a friend of his used it with his (friend's) son with great results. He said it's free and they even come to your house for therapy sessions.

I would call today for an evaluation, but I hesitate to have any dealings with the ps system. Dd will obviously be there when he has evaluations/therapy, so they will know we hs (dd is way too tall to pass for a preschooler).

So, do I or don't I? Can I get an evaluation anywhere else for free? Anyone BTDT with a similar circumstance?

Thanks!

Yes. Here, up to age 3, it's a county program, not associated with the ps system. We used it for dd4 from about age 2 until she turned 3. A speech therapist came to our home once a week for 1 hr, I think (can't remember anymore). It very non-invasive. I was very comfortable with the woman who came. When her 3rd birthday was approaching, she was evaluated to see if she would continue to be eligible for services through the ps system. She was eligible based on speech and fine motor skills delays. We go to the ps preschool for speech & fine motor skills once a week, 30 min. for each. Last year we did just speech for 30 min./week, and this year we are doing both speech and fine motor skills, so we are there for a total of 1 hr/week.

Her evaluation qualified her to either attend the preschool (a guarantee to get in, since they only have so much room for students without special needs) or to be an itinerant student (the option we chose).

ETA: when I enrolled dd as an itinerant student, I was enrolling her in the ps system. So if you don't want anything to do with the system, you might consider that. I was ok with it, as I'm not going to continue the services into Kindergarten. (If she needed them that badly, I would, but would continue homeschooling)

Also, I've come to like Tuesdays, her day for speech & fine motor. Dd6 and I sit in the hallway while we wait for dd4. The building we're in is a portable, and there's just 2 preschool classes in it. The rest of the building is speech therapy rooms, a small office and the 2 restrooms. I bring a tote bag of hs stuff to do with dd6, and we usually get a lot done. Halfway through all the preschool kids go home, so it's pretty quiet (even when they're there it's not very loud). Last year we were in a different portable, and there were 3 classes. We had a different appointment time also, and it was kinda noisy.

Edited by gardening momma

I used the Infant and Toddlers Program in my county for one of my children while I was homeschooling my then 12 year old. It was a great experience and the therapist was very good.

My now 3 year old is currently attending 1/2 day preschool through the schools after he aged out of Infants and Toddlers because he is still severely delayed in speech. I'm 99% sure I would still send him there even if I was homeschooling but since I'm not, it is a moot point.

Give them a call. We started both kids around 18 months because of their delays.

If you are in the Northern VA area, I am very familiar with Child Find, the one that provides these services. PM me for more info, but let me say it's a pretty good program. They can't "make" you put your son in public school (even if you don't continue). VA is easy to homeschool in, anyway, so there's nothing to fear about using the program (Child Find is not affiliated w/public schools--it's early interven as someone else mentioned).

My one year old is in a similar program in my state. She's been in it almost since she was born because she was failure to thrive and then had gross motor delays. I like it because it gives me lots of information. One on one time with a physical therapist (in our case) is nice because she can answer any questions I have about most things with my daughter. Our program is technically through the public school system, but at any time the parent can withdraw, so no risk. I would definitely give it a try!